TMV Partners

You are not logged in.

Announcement

GO HERE: www.TheModernVocalistWorld.com

ATTENTION TMV WORLD FORUM MEMBERS! YOU NEED TO GO LOGIN AND/OR REGISTER AT THE NEW AND IMPROVED TMV WORLD FORUM SYSTEM.

CLICK THIS LINK TO GO TO THE NEW FORUM. WHEN YOU ARRIVE AT THE NEW FORUM, LOGIN OR REGISTER AND THEN CLICK ON "GETTING STARTED". ALL OF THE POSTS AND TOPICS HAVE BEEN MIGRATED OVER AND EXISTING MEMBERS WILL BE LINKED BACK TO ALL THEIR POSTS IN THE NEW SYSTEM AFTER YOU LOGIN.

www.TheModernVocalistWorld.com

IF YOU ARE A NEW VISITOR THAT JUST JOINED US, YOU ARE INVITED TO COME OVER TO OUR NEW FORUM SYSTEM. CLICK THIS LINK TO GO THERE AND REGISTER.

www.TheModernVocalistWorld.com

Adverts

• Index
  •  » Microphones
  •  » Recurring problem with volume and headroom please help

#1 2014-05-21 23:59:00

Rholland906
TMV Forum Member
Recurring problem with volume and headroom please help

I am a singer in a cover band and unfortunately I am not as loud as most cover band singers. I have recently joined a new band and the guitarist plays very loud. I am having problems with feedback if they turn me up loud enough to sing over the guitar and drums. We rent out the place we play, so I am not comfortable altering the soundboard too much. The other guys in the band have no problem being heard. Just me. Does anyone know of a device I could bring in and simply add it in line to the microphone that would boost or amplify my voice? I have a TChelicon voice live two. It allows for volume increase but causes feedback as well. I am not sure that it acts as an amplifier. I am using a SM 58 Beta microphone. Any help would be appreciated as I threw my voice out last practice trying to scream over them.

2014-05-21 23:59:00

AdBot
Advertisements

#2 2014-05-22 08:56:45

lineboss58
TMV Forum Member
Re: Recurring problem with volume and headroom please help

I am a singing bass player and know well what guitarist can be like, tc heicon products while being good are also very prone to feedback. I know because i have a voice live rack, you could try a number of things to help get more volume. First port of call would be the mic you use, i have around twenty mics so i think i have a bit of experience over what works. One of my mics is the beta58 and while a good mic is average at feedback rejection, three mics in my collection which have served me well with enthusiastic guitarists are these. Beyer tgx 60 or an ev n/d767a or an ev pl80 if you dont have one a feedback destroyer is helpfull in pushing up the dbs, i have a few but my favorite is the dbx afs224 if you can find one. Finally the simplest and cheapest method wear ear plugs, sounds crazy but it works keeps the band out and you can hear your voice through the bones in your skull. If you can hear what your singing and the band dont care why should you? many of us have been where you are good luck.

#3 2014-05-23 02:08:05

Rholland906
TMV Forum Member

Thanks for the info on the mics. I will try them. I have tried the Feedback Destroyer Pro once and it didn't help. I would just like to have a device that would allow me to control my volume without depending on the person controlling the board. Which is the bass player in this band if we are running our own sound. And I agree on the earplugs, which I forgot last practice. I will bring my in ear monitor next time. Thanks again.

#4 2014-06-10 21:42:36

buzzardwhiskey
TMV Forum Member

Your best bet is a hot, super-cardioid, dynamic mic. The EV N/D 767a works great at $130. The EV N/D967 at $150 is another.

Oops, I see that you're already using a super-cardioid dynamic. Hmm... well, my Driverack works great at chasing feedback (and the price dropped recently).

Last edited by buzzardwhiskey (2014-06-10 21:46:08)

#5 2014-06-23 04:43:29

TimmyP1955
TMV Forum Member

Being a supercardioid does not guarantee good rejection of unwanted sounds.  Being hot means absolutely nothing - gain is gain, whether it comes from the mic or the preamp.  The 767a is a good choice, but the OM7 is what you need.  The preamp has to be cranked, but the OM7 has the best rejection of any mic I'm aware of.

But of course the real problem is that everyone else is TFL.

• Index
  •  » Microphones
  •  » Recurring problem with volume and headroom please help
OTHER TMV WEB SITES: TMV RECOMMENDS: TMV RECOMMENDS: TMV RECOMMENDS:

Adverts

Board footer