TMV Partners

You are not logged in.

Announcement

GO HERE: www.TheModernVocalistWorld.com

ATTENTION TMV WORLD FORUM MEMBERS! YOU NEED TO GO LOGIN AND/OR REGISTER AT THE NEW AND IMPROVED TMV WORLD FORUM SYSTEM.

CLICK THIS LINK TO GO TO THE NEW FORUM. WHEN YOU ARRIVE AT THE NEW FORUM, LOGIN OR REGISTER AND THEN CLICK ON "GETTING STARTED". ALL OF THE POSTS AND TOPICS HAVE BEEN MIGRATED OVER AND EXISTING MEMBERS WILL BE LINKED BACK TO ALL THEIR POSTS IN THE NEW SYSTEM AFTER YOU LOGIN.

www.TheModernVocalistWorld.com

IF YOU ARE A NEW VISITOR THAT JUST JOINED US, YOU ARE INVITED TO COME OVER TO OUR NEW FORUM SYSTEM. CLICK THIS LINK TO GO THERE AND REGISTER.

www.TheModernVocalistWorld.com

Adverts

• Index
  •  » Recording
  •  » Home recording mini studio with old laptop which USB audio to use?

#1 2014-05-08 16:01:45

mcharis
TMV Forum Member
Home recording mini studio with old laptop which USB audio to use?

hi all,

ok so I bought a sennheiser mic, e935.
I have an inspiron 1720 laptop, which is 6 years old, 32bit and 4gigs of Ram.

I have finale and cubase to make some original music, I started learning guitar, but I don;t think any time soon I will record anything with my guitar.

So, my focus is vocals, I want a good recording or mixing or whatever USB interface that I will connect to my laptop that will record good vocals, meaning it will pick up the mic's full sound. My mic is not a condenser one, but I will buy in the future a condenser one, so phantom power is a plus I guess.
Im completely new to this, so I was reading for a novice to start with inexpensive audio interfaces, and then move to more expensive stuff.

Budget: 100-200 dollars
I was looking at
Behringer Xenyx X1204 USB
Focusrite Scarlett 2i4
Steinberg UR22
PreSonus AudioBox 22VSL

If you have recommendations of your own, feel free to write them.

Thank Charis

2014-05-08 16:01:45

AdBot
Advertisements

#2 2014-05-09 00:32:01

ronws
TMV Forum Member

Re: Home recording mini studio with old laptop which USB audio to use?

m-audio, about $100 USD at Best Buy.

You might look into more memory for your computer. 4G is not a lot. Or, at least, get a large capacity thumb drive or even a 250 G external memory to save your files on that.

And when recording and editing, turn off all other programs, as they use up CPU time doing their stuff.

The pros usually have a high capacity computer just for recording / editing. Which is not possible for everyone.

"When the daylight is rising up in my eyes ..." - Klaus Meine

#3 2014-05-11 11:59:31

mcharis
TMV Forum Member

hello Ronws,

thank you for your reply, I actually follow your advice and I bought the M-audio.
I guess I meant rom? because my hard drive is 1terra, and I have 4gigs of memory? I guess it is memory.
But it is still very small, I have to buy a new computer,
but my laptop is failing completely, the screen is heating up and closes, while the laptop is running, so I bought for now a monitor to do my work and after the summer I want to build my desktop.
I will go crazy on it, at least 16gigs of memory and 3terra hard drive, the 4rth generation intel, I will buy a beast and for graphics, I don;t know yet, but geforce 780 looks great!

#4 2014-05-11 13:48:16

ronws
TMV Forum Member

Okay, yeah, 4 G running memory should be good. You've got way more hd than I do. My newish computer has 250 on board and I have another 250 portable that already has a lot of stuff on it.

My new computer is about 1.5 years old, a gift from my employers, as we just got new computers at the office. But it is much faster and has more memory than Frankenstein, my old computer. That relic was built in 2005 with parts that were spare parts back then, a 40 G hd with a bad sector partitioned off.

Hand crank on the back, like a Ford Model A to get it running. Monitor was hand shadows in front of a candle on a wall of the cave.

"When the daylight is rising up in my eyes ..." - Klaus Meine

• Index
  •  » Recording
  •  » Home recording mini studio with old laptop which USB audio to use?
OTHER TMV WEB SITES: TMV RECOMMENDS: TMV RECOMMENDS: TMV RECOMMENDS:

Adverts

Board footer