TMV Partners

You are not logged in.

Announcement

GO HERE: www.TheModernVocalistWorld.com

ATTENTION TMV WORLD FORUM MEMBERS! YOU NEED TO GO LOGIN AND/OR REGISTER AT THE NEW AND IMPROVED TMV WORLD FORUM SYSTEM.

CLICK THIS LINK TO GO TO THE NEW FORUM. WHEN YOU ARRIVE AT THE NEW FORUM, LOGIN OR REGISTER AND THEN CLICK ON "GETTING STARTED". ALL OF THE POSTS AND TOPICS HAVE BEEN MIGRATED OVER AND EXISTING MEMBERS WILL BE LINKED BACK TO ALL THEIR POSTS IN THE NEW SYSTEM AFTER YOU LOGIN.

www.TheModernVocalistWorld.com

IF YOU ARE A NEW VISITOR THAT JUST JOINED US, YOU ARE INVITED TO COME OVER TO OUR NEW FORUM SYSTEM. CLICK THIS LINK TO GO THERE AND REGISTER.

www.TheModernVocalistWorld.com

Adverts

#1 2014-03-25 03:25:24

Meech90
TMV Forum Member
Sore Tonsils After Singing/While Singing

I've had some problems with my tonsils in the past. They always seem inflammed. I used to get strep throat very frequently (3-5 times per year) but it generally went away. I went to my dentist in December because my throat and mouth were getting dry too easily, he said my tonsils were swollen but I hadn't been sick whatsoever. He hadn't identified the cause of the dryness. Said maybe it was mouth breathing while sleeping because my teeth showed signs of that.

I've been getting pain in my tonsils after singing for a long while now. I don't get a scratchy throat at all, and it's not a sore throat. It's specifically located in the tonsils. It doesn't affect my singing voice in any way, and the pain isn't severe or anything. It's just a bit more uncomfortable to sing.

I'm fairly confident I'm using proper technique. I trained with a vocal coach for the first 8 months of my time singing. I literally rarely ever tried to sing so I started with proper training. Plus there's no scratchiness in my throat and I don't lose my voice. I've also now begun yelling (like at sporting events) with the same technique that I use to sing and I don't get any of the sore throat symptoms associated with yelling afterwards anymore. So I think the technique is fine.

Is it normal to get this? Has anyone else gotten this? Has anyone removed their tonsils to aid with this?

2014-03-25 03:25:24

AdBot
Advertisements

#2 2014-03-27 00:27:56

ronws
TMV Forum Member

Re: Sore Tonsils After Singing/While Singing

Are you sure the discomfort is in the tonsils, themselves? And you said the dentist saw they were swollen. But I don't think he would know what would cause that. Better off going to an ENT doctor (Ears, Nose, and Throat.) He might give a better diagnosis. However, it could be an infection.

I still have my tonsils and adnoids. And when I was young and they got inflamed, my doctor would give me antibiotics to treat the infection, rather than just start cutting things out of me.

Fellow member Snax had a partial tonsilectomy because he had large tonsils and they were causing a problem, in general. Afterward, with a whole new resonating space, he had to revisit the basics of singing. But he was and still is an awesome singer.

"When the daylight is rising up in my eyes ..." - Klaus Meine

#3 2014-03-28 02:59:37

Meech90
TMV Forum Member

Thanks a lot for the advice. I just went back to singing after a 2 day rest and tried hitting prolonged G4s (Speed of Sound - Coldplay) which were preceeded by an A4. I noticed a lot of tension singing it, like my throat was flexing kind of thing, it was pretty closed off.

The discomfort usually stems from that; maybe it's not my tonsils, it might be my throat from doing this.

Is there any advice you can give for avoiding this. The highest note I've been able to hit is a B4, but never in the context of a song. Just the B4 alone, and I have trouble going above G4 in the context of songs because of the amount of tenseness and pushing that I have to do to get there.

Again, there's no scratchiness but it feels like my muscles are getting exhausted in the throat. I listen to a bunch of pop punk and the singers seem to sing these F4s-A4s for entire verses without fatigue. What's the secret?

My throat is relaxed generally until about F4-F#4.

EDIT: Better description is it feels like there's a knot in my throat while singing high. Kind of like when people cry... or uh... so I've heard.

Last edited by Meech90 (2014-03-28 03:25:11)

#4 2014-03-29 11:42:20

ronws
TMV Forum Member

So, maybe it's muscle strain rather than sore tonsils? The knot feeling could be muscles straining or tiring. I am not an expert. I would say sing with your head and not your throat, if that makes sense. If not, we have plenty of voice coaches around here.

"When the daylight is rising up in my eyes ..." - Klaus Meine

OTHER TMV WEB SITES: TMV RECOMMENDS: TMV RECOMMENDS: TMV RECOMMENDS:

Adverts

Board footer