TMV Partners

You are not logged in.

Announcement

GO HERE: www.TheModernVocalistWorld.com

ATTENTION TMV WORLD FORUM MEMBERS! YOU NEED TO GO LOGIN AND/OR REGISTER AT THE NEW AND IMPROVED TMV WORLD FORUM SYSTEM.

CLICK THIS LINK TO GO TO THE NEW FORUM. WHEN YOU ARRIVE AT THE NEW FORUM, LOGIN OR REGISTER AND THEN CLICK ON "GETTING STARTED". ALL OF THE POSTS AND TOPICS HAVE BEEN MIGRATED OVER AND EXISTING MEMBERS WILL BE LINKED BACK TO ALL THEIR POSTS IN THE NEW SYSTEM AFTER YOU LOGIN.

www.TheModernVocalistWorld.com

IF YOU ARE A NEW VISITOR THAT JUST JOINED US, YOU ARE INVITED TO COME OVER TO OUR NEW FORUM SYSTEM. CLICK THIS LINK TO GO THERE AND REGISTER.

www.TheModernVocalistWorld.com

Adverts

• Index
  •  » Recording
  •  » Need Some Major Help With My Recording. Freaking out!!

#1 2014-03-13 23:10:58

LSLove
TMV Forum Member
Need Some Major Help With My Recording. Freaking out!!

I just got my Blue Snowball Microphone today, and I thought everything would be all wonderful...but then I tried it out. I've tried all 3 settings. 2 was the worst, and 3 was the best. When I record myself singing (even talking) the sound is so quiet that you can just hear a faint noise. I use Audacity (which I'm also new to) to amplify the sound, and then you can FINALLY hear it. With the singing, it doesn't sound like a good quality. I'm not sure what effects to use to make it sound good. I've used amplify and normalize at the same time, and I'm not getting the sound I want to hear. I want to make singing videos, and I've heard so many on YouTube that I know what it should sound like. I'm new to the world of recording and microphones, but I really want to be successful with this. I'd hate to have to send it back out of frustration and defeat.

2014-03-13 23:10:58

AdBot
Advertisements

#2 2014-03-15 12:38:03

ronws
TMV Forum Member

Re: Need Some Major Help With My Recording. Freaking out!!

Are you plugging into a usb interface? Something with a pre-amp so that you can vary the input volume? Also, check the os input levels of your computer. Like, in Windows, you can go to the devices icon and choose usb/codec for input and then choose that input level.

I also use Audacity and have learned a few things.

"When the daylight is rising up in my eyes ..." - Klaus Meine

#3 2014-03-18 18:18:22

slstone
TMV Forum Member

You won't get the quality you need for what you hear other people do, using audacity. You need a program that can handle higher quality audio. I use Adobe Audition with a few plugins. Also imagine you're going directly into soundcard which samples at a very low rate. You need a firewire unit if you want loud and present sound. I can suggest a few that won't break the budget too much. Good luck.

Official Press Release - 'Book of Shadows' CD for sale now!
http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/slstone
https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/book- … d611487291
http://www.slstonemusic.com
Need music with which to sing along? 50% off All Services November Sale. Sign up now! http://stonecraftmusicstudio.com

#4 2014-03-20 01:05:39

ronws
TMV Forum Member

slstone wrote:

You won't get the quality you need for what you hear other people do, using audacity. You need a program that can handle higher quality audio. I use Adobe Audition with a few plugins. Also imagine you're going directly into soundcard which samples at a very low rate. You need a firewire unit if you want loud and present sound. I can suggest a few that won't break the budget too much. Good luck.

As I have been learning, which is my next object of focus. To gear up, as it were, literally and in software. I want to record and release an album before they scatter my ashes to the sea.

#5 2014-03-21 07:07:52

Adveser
TMV Forum Member

Saying that audacity isn't capable of quality is flat out wrong. That's all I use and it is more than capable of true studio quality sound. Audacity is not your problem, feeding the computer a high quality signal probably is and that comes at a price. I can't afford a 500 dollar channel strip myself to get the best quality, but essentially all I have is a mic going into a yamaha mg102c and then that going into a computer. I use a behringer MA400 to monitor my voice in realtime because I want to send only my voice to the computer from the mixer. You need to make the right cable to get the audio from the mixer into the monitor mixer though, which would be a dual TS to XLR with the two "hot" tips wired into the single "hot" pin of the xlr and the cold and ground soldered together.

#6 2014-03-21 23:59:20

ronws
TMV Forum Member

And I agree with you, too, adveser. The book I have on audacity was written by a woman who professionally records bands. And I have also learned that most of my problem in recording was input levels. And then later, my caveman approach to editing. Of which I have also been learning. And sometimes, less is more. I did a recording recently and tried some eq and it did not improve over the original sound of the file as imported from a portable recorder. So, I only boosted the overall volume. Sometimes, wisdom is knowing when to leave it alone. Truly, we have to mix by ear. And so, my learning curve has been to learn how to adequately use what I already have.

• Index
  •  » Recording
  •  » Need Some Major Help With My Recording. Freaking out!!
OTHER TMV WEB SITES: TMV RECOMMENDS: TMV RECOMMENDS: TMV RECOMMENDS:

Adverts

Board footer