TMV Partners

You are not logged in.

Announcement

GO HERE: www.TheModernVocalistWorld.com

ATTENTION TMV WORLD FORUM MEMBERS! YOU NEED TO GO LOGIN AND/OR REGISTER AT THE NEW AND IMPROVED TMV WORLD FORUM SYSTEM.

CLICK THIS LINK TO GO TO THE NEW FORUM. WHEN YOU ARRIVE AT THE NEW FORUM, LOGIN OR REGISTER AND THEN CLICK ON "GETTING STARTED". ALL OF THE POSTS AND TOPICS HAVE BEEN MIGRATED OVER AND EXISTING MEMBERS WILL BE LINKED BACK TO ALL THEIR POSTS IN THE NEW SYSTEM AFTER YOU LOGIN.

www.TheModernVocalistWorld.com

IF YOU ARE A NEW VISITOR THAT JUST JOINED US, YOU ARE INVITED TO COME OVER TO OUR NEW FORUM SYSTEM. CLICK THIS LINK TO GO THERE AND REGISTER.

www.TheModernVocalistWorld.com

Adverts

• Index
  •  » Recording
  •  » Should I try using a voice filter for a bad room?

#1 2013-09-06 21:49:25

Audiolove21
TMV Forum Member
Should I try using a voice filter for a bad room?

Seminoob here with a basic question. I'm just now getting into recording more seriously and want to invest more into my rig. I don't sing but my friends do which got me started into this. Current setup is nothing fancy just my mic,laptop, and plenty of empty space in my makeshift studio/storageroom.

I put most of my $$$ into programs so I can edit to perfection :D but I feel like I'm doing more work than I need to at times. I hear the room a lot and I do get tired of it when it messes up my friend sounds on tape vs. in person. I want her to sound as good as she does in person on tape. This is still just a hobby as we're not doing anything serious yet but I don't want to go all out building booths and whatnot if we're just doing this to do it.

I came down to looking at inexpensive ways to get a semi booth setup going which pointed me to looking at voice filters. I see enough of them online but haven't had  chance to play with one hands on. I like this Soundkitz Pro Filter and I also like the looks of what I'm not sure about is if I go with the RFX if it will just help out my singers or if it will help reduce the room noise. In the Soundkitz review vid the guy did an open room test and it seemed to sound better which is what I would like. If any of you have any experience on this kind of stuff please lemme know what you suggest might help. I want to try a filter I'm sold on it but what type would help the most? I guess that's what I'm asking.

Last edited by Audiolove21 (2013-09-06 21:58:31)

2013-09-06 21:49:25

AdBot
Advertisements

#2 2013-09-07 13:43:54

ronws
TMV Forum Member

Re: Should I try using a voice filter for a bad room?

If the room has too much presence, editing is not going to help. In a sense, the room, itself, is creating a "printed" effect. So, you need to deaden it. You can take old styrofoam egg containers and staple them here and there. Or, get some cheap foam pads and put them on the wall. Anything to deaden the reflection of sound off the bare walls. There are some vids on youtube where people turn their closet into singing booth with no more than $20 - $40 USD worth of stuff from a hobby store, where you could find such foam. Even just buying some cheap fabric to drape on the wall, preferrably with an inch or so gap between fabric and wall. It's all about absorbing the sound and keep it from reflecting and showing the room presence in the mic. That will give you a fairly dry vocal track to start from.

I was watching a vid on David Lee Roth's youtube channel and they were recording in a space similar to what you are talking about. And Roth had basically these rolling clothes racks with blankets and sheets draped over them to isolate his voice from the room. Serious as a heart attack. Multi-platinum artist going low tech to get a dry vocal.

Last edited by ronws (2013-09-07 13:45:44)

"When the daylight is rising up in my eyes ..." - Klaus Meine

• Index
  •  » Recording
  •  » Should I try using a voice filter for a bad room?
OTHER TMV WEB SITES: TMV RECOMMENDS: TMV RECOMMENDS: TMV RECOMMENDS:

Adverts

Board footer