TMV Partners

You are not logged in.

Announcement

GO HERE: www.TheModernVocalistWorld.com

ATTENTION TMV WORLD FORUM MEMBERS! YOU NEED TO GO LOGIN AND/OR REGISTER AT THE NEW AND IMPROVED TMV WORLD FORUM SYSTEM.

CLICK THIS LINK TO GO TO THE NEW FORUM. WHEN YOU ARRIVE AT THE NEW FORUM, LOGIN OR REGISTER AND THEN CLICK ON "GETTING STARTED". ALL OF THE POSTS AND TOPICS HAVE BEEN MIGRATED OVER AND EXISTING MEMBERS WILL BE LINKED BACK TO ALL THEIR POSTS IN THE NEW SYSTEM AFTER YOU LOGIN.

www.TheModernVocalistWorld.com

IF YOU ARE A NEW VISITOR THAT JUST JOINED US, YOU ARE INVITED TO COME OVER TO OUR NEW FORUM SYSTEM. CLICK THIS LINK TO GO THERE AND REGISTER.

www.TheModernVocalistWorld.com

Adverts

• Index
  •  » Microphones
  •  » Review of Condenser Microphones For Live Recording : Robert Lunte

#1 2013-06-22 17:24:10

Robert Lunte
TMV World Forum - Founder
Website

Review of Condenser Microphones For Live Recording : Robert Lunte

Im really getting along great with:

Garageband
Mackie 820i Firewire
Condenser handheld mics
Vocal Athletes;

I have the opportunity to test several of the handheld, live condenser mics and use them for live recording... all work great and perform as you would expect for a recording. I think these handheld condenser mics introduce a viable option for singers to track with a handheld, vs standing in front of a mic stand. Granted handling noise is an issue, or could be, but there is a big potential gain in performance "mojo", interpretation that can come by letting a singer track with a handheld.

The handheld condensers I have are:

Neumann 104
Sennheiser e965
RODE M2
Audix VX5
Audio Technica ATM31R

The Neumann and Senn. are hella expensive and do sound great. I must say, for the price, the Senn e965 was not impressive enough, its almost too tubby. I may need to dial it in better. Its sister dynamic version, the e935 is superb.

The Neumann sounds great as you would expect for $800, very warm oriented, again like the Senn... a bit more dark..

The Rode M2 and the Audix are both very shimmery, have great capture of the high frequencies and the lows, they are noticeably brighter. Between the two, the RODE M2 is better in my opinion... Although one thing that is great about the Audix vx5 is its ergonomics. It is a small microphone, that means it fits well and feels good in your hand. Excellent for the TVS "cradle grip" that I use.  Ergonomics is a very important point on handheld microphones, but strangely, some companies seem to still miss that point, Audix never has. Mics that have a shapely, hour glass design to them are built that way for ergonomics, to feel good and healthy in your hand.

The ATM 31R has a wonderful balance of both as well and is an old school, condenser mic.

I find myself using the Neumann and the RODE M2 most often... probably the RODE M2 is my preference... and interesting enough, consistent with RODE products, it is build very durable and the price/value is very high. A GREAT deal for a handheld live condenser mic. When the German mics all cost $600-$800, the RODE M2 comes in at around $179 and is a killer deal. The RODE M2 is a great product.

Here is the review for the RODE M2 we did on our Product Review pages:
http://themodernvocalistworld.com/2011/09/28/rode-m2/

Here is where you can buy one:
http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/ … QgodqD4A8A

2013-06-22 17:24:10

AdBot
Advertisements

#2 2013-06-22 21:24:39

ronws
TMV Forum Member

Re: Review of Condenser Microphones For Live Recording : Robert Lunte

I saw this post in the other thread about recording with a laptop.

Anyway, cool beans that you are on the forefront mic tech. And so willing to share what you find. Because we sometimes get people in here that, like me, had just about nothing to start with in the way of equipment. And if they are going to spend money one time, to get what they need, to start, what is the best?

And I notice that you keep coming back to Rode mics. Especially the M2 for condenser mic.

I know I mentioned it before but I think it's important how I did NOT end up with a Rode. Though I still contemplate getting one.

The website for Guitar Center shows that they do care Rode mics. So, I went to Guitar Center in Plano, Texas, only about 35 miles from where I live. In Texas, with the way we drive, that's about the length of a sneeze. :lol:

And I was looking around and a sales associate came over to help me. I told him I was looking for the Rode M1 dynamic. But I also told him what my problem was with the condenser mic that I do have (Fame CM-1.) That I am a light tenor with a lot of bright volume up top.

So, he told me about the mic he sells most often to tenors, that he has to keep re-stocking. And that was the Sennheiser e835. And that, to me, was just as telling as any person's testimonial. As in, what mic do you keep selling out of and have to re-order so often? And that was it.

I did not buy it there. I thought about it. Former moderator Aaron and I were talking about it and he said, why bother with retail when you can buy on ebay?

So, I did, for $74.99, free shipping, which was half of retail. Though, at Guitar Center, I think I would have paid $110, and probably another $20 for the proper mic mount to fit my mic stand.

As it is, I will set the mic on the desk in front of me. Or, I hold it in my hand, such as I did for my second recording of "Silent Lucidity."

As a dynamic, it handles well my loud singing volume, partially because it has a tight field of pick-up.

Others have down-played the importance of equipment but it does matter, a lot. Really, who gets a more accurate hearing from you? Some one singing into their cellphone, or someone with a decent mic and doing Skype? (The only thing better being an actual lesson with you, in person, in the same room.)

"When the daylight is rising up in my eyes ..." - Klaus Meine

• Index
  •  » Microphones
  •  » Review of Condenser Microphones For Live Recording : Robert Lunte
OTHER TMV WEB SITES: TMV RECOMMENDS: TMV RECOMMENDS: TMV RECOMMENDS:

Adverts

Board footer