TMV Partners

You are not logged in.

Announcement

GO HERE: www.TheModernVocalistWorld.com

ATTENTION TMV WORLD FORUM MEMBERS! YOU NEED TO GO LOGIN AND/OR REGISTER AT THE NEW AND IMPROVED TMV WORLD FORUM SYSTEM.

CLICK THIS LINK TO GO TO THE NEW FORUM. WHEN YOU ARRIVE AT THE NEW FORUM, LOGIN OR REGISTER AND THEN CLICK ON "GETTING STARTED". ALL OF THE POSTS AND TOPICS HAVE BEEN MIGRATED OVER AND EXISTING MEMBERS WILL BE LINKED BACK TO ALL THEIR POSTS IN THE NEW SYSTEM AFTER YOU LOGIN.

www.TheModernVocalistWorld.com

IF YOU ARE A NEW VISITOR THAT JUST JOINED US, YOU ARE INVITED TO COME OVER TO OUR NEW FORUM SYSTEM. CLICK THIS LINK TO GO THERE AND REGISTER.

www.TheModernVocalistWorld.com

Adverts

• Index
  •  » Microphones
  •  » Placid Audio: New Vintage Microphones! Check it out!

#1 2013-04-29 19:47:01

Robert Lunte
TMV World Forum - Founder
Website

Placid Audio: New Vintage Microphones! Check it out!

Hello TMV World Forum users... Check out these beautiful, hand made vintage microphones. Placid Audio microphones are pretty cool...

This is me singing through the Placid Audio Copperphone Mini... Note, this is just an improvisational, unplanned recording and your hearing the sound in the room. However, you will notice that this microphone can work as a cool, specialty mic for lead vocals, not just "antique radio" effects.

2013-04-29 19:47:01

AdBot
Advertisements

#2 2013-04-29 20:06:12

Robert Lunte
Website

Re: Placid Audio: New Vintage Microphones! Check it out!

Here is the full review on the TMV World Product Review page.

http://themodernvocalistworld.com/2013/ … hone-mini/

#3 2013-04-29 21:23:43

Owen Korzec
TMV Forum Member
Website

Sounds cool. I can see some uses for it. How did you get it onto a handheld mic body? It's mounted differently in their pictures.

#4 2013-04-29 21:28:09

Robert Lunte
Website

I removed the springs, which I believe are just an aesthetic and plugged in the wireless transmitter...

#5 2013-04-30 00:44:49

MisterMark
TMV Forum Member

Owen,

Mark from Placid Audio here... The Copperphone Mini comes with a conversion kit that allows the capsule to be dismounted from the ring for ergonomic hand held use.  Below is a quick video demonstrating the conversion, which is the way Robert adapted his Copperphone Mini.

Please let me know if you have any other questions.

-Mark

PLACID AUDIO
Handcrafted boutique vintage style microphones for any application.
http://placidaudio.com

#6 2013-05-01 20:09:07

Robert Lunte
Website

Hey you guys, check out this cool copper lead mic!

#7 2013-05-15 23:56:36

Robert Lunte
Website

Hello TMV World Members...

Be sure to check out the current TMV World contest give-away... Placid Audio Microphones is generous enough to offer one of their beautiful microphones.... Click the link below and enter the contest!

http://www.themodernvocalist.com/win-new-vocal-gear-1

#8 2013-05-17 01:48:11

ronws
TMV Forum Member

First off, way cool, Robert. I didn't know you were using this mic for this cover. And by the way, I like your cover of this song. You have the feel. And the mic seems to love your voice on this song. Anyone who knows me knows that I feel that "live" is where it's at and this mic and you worked well.

And Mark, I didn't know you were in Dallas. I also work in Dallas, though I live about 2 towns away from the Red River. I'm about 8 miles away from Sherman, actually. Little town, one stop sign, 5 churches. (Redneck Ron, singing near the 60 acres of corn, :lol:  )

Anyway, I live the effect of that mic. Way cool.

"When the daylight is rising up in my eyes ..." - Klaus Meine

#9 2013-05-17 02:05:19

Robert Lunte
Website

Ya Ron, the mic is not meant to be used for lead vocals, but me and Travis were goofing around with it one night and it just seemed to actually, be cool... now it still has a metallic, brass sound to it, so I think it will always be a special effect kind of mic,,, but i have found that it can be used for lead... when you put a lot of energy into it, it seems to fatten up a bit in the tone and has a unique "cut" to it that other mics don't have, which shouldn't be too surprising.

#10 2013-05-18 14:59:29

ronws
TMV Forum Member

Robert Lunte wrote:

Ya Ron, the mic is not meant to be used for lead vocals, but me and Travis were goofing around with it one night and it just seemed to actually, be cool... now it still has a metallic, brass sound to it, so I think it will always be a special effect kind of mic,,, but i have found that it can be used for lead... when you put a lot of energy into it, it seems to fatten up a bit in the tone and has a unique "cut" to it that other mics don't have, which shouldn't be too surprising.

I think it's absolutely valid to use a mic like this, specifically for the effect it has.

I was watching a tv special called "It Might Get Loud." It was about a meeting of and the methods of three important modern guitarists. Jimmy Page, the Edge (U2), and Jack White (White Stripes.)

I was most impressed with what Jack White does in recording. He will purposely choose a guitar and play it through an old tube-based amp that has prominent feed back and record through a mic such as this onto reel-to-reel. Later, of course, that can imported into digital editing software. But the idea was to create a vintage sound that you just can't fake, digitally.

Last edited by ronws (2013-05-18 15:00:13)

#11 2013-05-20 11:13:04

MisterMark
TMV Forum Member

@Ron... Howdy neighbor!  Here is a video from Jazz artist Gregory Page using the Copperphone Mini as a primary vocal mic for some authentic nostalgic goodness:

Enjoy!

-Mark

Last edited by MisterMark (2013-05-20 11:19:22)

PLACID AUDIO
Handcrafted boutique vintage style microphones for any application.
http://placidaudio.com

#12 2013-05-23 00:52:39

ronws
TMV Forum Member

That is so neat. Reminds of some of the music in the movie, "Bladerunner."

#13 2013-05-23 01:24:07

Robert Lunte
Website

MisterMark wrote:

@Ron... Howdy neighbor!  Here is a video from Jazz artist Gregory Page using the Copperphone Mini as a primary vocal mic for some authentic nostalgic goodness:

Enjoy!

-Mark

COOL MARK!  Guess what, we are going to run your campaign for an additional week... more value!

• Index
  •  » Microphones
  •  » Placid Audio: New Vintage Microphones! Check it out!
OTHER TMV WEB SITES: TMV RECOMMENDS: TMV RECOMMENDS: TMV RECOMMENDS:

Adverts

Board footer