TMV Partners

You are not logged in.

Announcement

GO HERE: www.TheModernVocalistWorld.com

ATTENTION TMV WORLD FORUM MEMBERS! YOU NEED TO GO LOGIN AND/OR REGISTER AT THE NEW AND IMPROVED TMV WORLD FORUM SYSTEM.

CLICK THIS LINK TO GO TO THE NEW FORUM. WHEN YOU ARRIVE AT THE NEW FORUM, LOGIN OR REGISTER AND THEN CLICK ON "GETTING STARTED". ALL OF THE POSTS AND TOPICS HAVE BEEN MIGRATED OVER AND EXISTING MEMBERS WILL BE LINKED BACK TO ALL THEIR POSTS IN THE NEW SYSTEM AFTER YOU LOGIN.

www.TheModernVocalistWorld.com

IF YOU ARE A NEW VISITOR THAT JUST JOINED US, YOU ARE INVITED TO COME OVER TO OUR NEW FORUM SYSTEM. CLICK THIS LINK TO GO THERE AND REGISTER.

www.TheModernVocalistWorld.com

Adverts

#1 2012-11-21 00:05:47

lorenzo
TMV Forum Member
Sennheiser e935: should I buy one??

Hello, folks!

I'm a rock/hard rock singer of a cover band (we play from Maroon 5 to Iron Maiden). I own three mics: 1) Audix OM-2; 2) JTS NX-8.5; 3) Shure SM-58.
I never liked my SM-58... it's weak and doesn't captures my voice's frequencies well. So, I bought the JTS NX-8.5, which is a cheap chinese brand, similar to Shure Beta-58, according to many users (in fact, that's why I bought it).
I had the oppotunity to test a Shure Beta-58 side by side with my JTS and I think mine is way better sounding (has a lot more gain, power on the low frequencies and it's more clear). That is not just my opinion, since before I buy it, I read some reviews on the internet attesting the same (specially on Harmony Central's website).
But, over time, even enjoying the JTS, I decided to improve and get something that sounds even better. I did some research and found an interesting review, pointing the Audix OM-2 as the most faithful to the singer's voice: http://singingcenter.com/best-live-voca … hone.html. Indeed, it1s the microphone that sounds closer to my natural voice, it's clean, has a great sound isolation, seems very durable, but... doesn't give me the "punch" that JTS gives me (espeacially when I make a raspy voice - vocal distortion technique).
Since most of the greatest singers in pop (Pink, Rihanna, Beyoncé, etc.) and television shows (The Voice UK, The Voice US, etc.) are using Sennheiser e935, I think maybe it will give me the "punch" that I need, with the clarity and fidelity that I expect.
I thought of Neumann KMS 105 too, but it's very expensive and I read a lot reviews declaring that you must have a good equipment and, especially, a good sound technician/engineer in order to make it work properly, without feedback and other noises (due to it's great captation). Since I plan to use the mic for live purposes and I'm on a small band (we perform at pubs and nightclubs), I can't depend on the equipment or staff of these places.
What do you think??
Thanks!

Best regards,
Lorenzo

Last edited by lorenzo (2012-11-21 18:37:46)

2012-11-21 00:05:47

AdBot
Advertisements

#2 2012-11-21 18:47:38

lorenzo
TMV Forum Member
Re: Sennheiser e935: should I buy one??

Yesterday I saw some video reviews of the Rode M2, which is a relatively cheap live condenser microphone (when compared to other live condensers). Now, I'm more inclined to it than to Sennheiser e935, espcecially because I own a condenser mic for recordings (AudioTechnica AT-2035) and love its captation.
Does anyone have it?? What do you think??
Sorry about the confusion I'm starting, but since I joined this forum I came across many new and interesting informations...
Thanks!

#3 2012-11-22 02:39:29

ronws
TMV Forum Member

I really like my Sennheiser e835 mic. It captures highs really well. It's great as a stage mic and once in a while, I figure out how to use it in recording.

In fact, I used it in recording the "Heaven on their Minds" collab that I did with my brother.

But I have heard that Rode M-1 is the mic comparable to the Shure Sm-58 but with some better response.

"When the daylight is rising up in my eyes ..." - Klaus Meine

#4 2012-11-22 12:09:57

lorenzo
TMV Forum Member

Thanks for the contribution, ronws!
If anybody have the Sennheiser e935 or the Rode M2, please share your experience... The only consistent thing I've found is these two tests:
1) Shure Beta-58 vs. Rode M2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rju3tll-Q5k
2) Sennheiser e935 vs. Shure SM58 vs. Rode M1: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S4ztOq3y5E8

Last edited by lorenzo (2012-11-24 12:01:38)

#5 2012-12-29 20:03:30

Vocalisha
TMV Forum Member

Hi!

I do not own a Sennheiser e935, but I borrowed one from Sennheiser to test it and see if it works for me.

I really love this one! I tried several mics on and off stage, like SM58, Beta58, Heil PR-35, Heil PR-22, Beta86, Neumann KMS 105, Beta57, Sennheiser e965 etc. Since I'm also in a rockband, all the condenser mics didn't work for me. They were too sensitive and picked up the drums and other unwanted noises.

So I've tried the e935 on and off stage and it is great! Is sounds way better than an SM58 or Beta58 and it really fits my voice. There are enough high frequenties to cut through the mix, but there are also enough low frequencies to keep the body in my voice. I really love this mic.

Maybe you should ask Sennheiser if you can try one?

Regards,

Vocalisha

#6 2012-12-30 11:17:44

TimmyP1955
TMV Forum Member

E935, E835, OM7, OM6, OM3, ND767a, PL80a are all good mics for use on a rock stage.  The PR35 and SM86 might be.  The PR22, KMS105, KSM9, AE5400, VX10 are not.

#7 2013-01-01 01:41:30

ronws
TMV Forum Member

I was originally looking for the Rode M-1 when I walked into a Guitar Center. The website showed that the company carried it but, evidently, they only carry it online, not as a stocked item in stores. I talked to a sales rep and told him my plight. I am a tenor with a light, bright, loud upper end and I stomp the condenser mic with heartbreaking regularity. So, he told me, he sells a lot of the Sennheiser e835 and never seems to get returns. Whatever singer buys them, stays satisfied. Well, I didn't buy one there. I went on ebay and bought one for 74.99, about half of retail, and with free shipping. And it puts up with high volume signals with a great response in the upper end. I still have to move the mic away for a loud, high note but it still responds well. And I am still learning to use it, as it has a tight pick-up pattern. Which is good, meaning that it is a relatively quiet mic to noise outside of the pattern.

Last edited by ronws (2013-01-01 01:42:09)

"When the daylight is rising up in my eyes ..." - Klaus Meine

#8 2013-04-05 11:21:52

abigailcross85
TMV Forum Member

The Sennheiser 935 is a dynamic cardioid microphone, as it is made in Germany it has a excellent features.

#9 2013-04-18 23:16:01

WebAndNet.com
TMV Forum Member

I owned the e935 for a while and thought it was a very smooth mic with the lowest bass capabilities among the mics I tried, and maybe as part of its smoothness, it required more sound volume to sound properly than the several other mic brands I used.   Went with the ND767a, which has a rougher sound.   If you want a high pitch attack sound, OM5 is good.

Chen Sun
www.WebAndNet.com, Strategic Web Marketing
www.VocalPosture.com, currently a blog, has unique singing-related content-- posture and voice, vocal structure, ergonomics, Zen and ancient philosophies' relevance to voice.   http://Chen.WebBIZcard.com, a prototype webpage of an invention, is ready for implementation.   This is ideal for any entprepreneur wanting to create a vocalists' or musicians directory.  Thanks

OTHER TMV WEB SITES: TMV RECOMMENDS: TMV RECOMMENDS: TMV RECOMMENDS:

Adverts

Board footer