TMV Partners

You are not logged in.

Announcement

GO HERE: www.TheModernVocalistWorld.com

ATTENTION TMV WORLD FORUM MEMBERS! YOU NEED TO GO LOGIN AND/OR REGISTER AT THE NEW AND IMPROVED TMV WORLD FORUM SYSTEM.

CLICK THIS LINK TO GO TO THE NEW FORUM. WHEN YOU ARRIVE AT THE NEW FORUM, LOGIN OR REGISTER AND THEN CLICK ON "GETTING STARTED". ALL OF THE POSTS AND TOPICS HAVE BEEN MIGRATED OVER AND EXISTING MEMBERS WILL BE LINKED BACK TO ALL THEIR POSTS IN THE NEW SYSTEM AFTER YOU LOGIN.

www.TheModernVocalistWorld.com

IF YOU ARE A NEW VISITOR THAT JUST JOINED US, YOU ARE INVITED TO COME OVER TO OUR NEW FORUM SYSTEM. CLICK THIS LINK TO GO THERE AND REGISTER.

www.TheModernVocalistWorld.com

Adverts

#1 2013-03-10 22:02:27

mr-leonor99
TMV Forum Member
use camera as microphone

hi, I have a very good hd camera, I would like to connect it with the computer and use it as a microphone, so I could record different tracks and mix it with a software, it will open a lot of possibilities and I'm sure that my songwriting-covers will improve if I do that !
I don't find any tutorial on how to do it on the web, is it even possible ?

thank you :)

2013-03-10 22:02:27

AdBot
Advertisements

#2 2013-03-11 07:36:21

derek_r
TMV Forum Member
Re: use camera as microphone

Not sure if his will help, but I use a free programme called Audacity (easily found via Google). I have a small microphone/guitar to USB interface (again, such things are easily found on the web e.g http://www.amazon.co.uk/Lexicon-Alpha-S … m_sbs_ce_2, which isn't the specific one I use but just shows the type of thing) and I simply plug the guitar and/or a regular stage vocal mike into the interface. Then I record a track in Audacity, then another, and another etc etc Audacity allows you to edit, cut, add reverb, equalise and so on.

This was done with the set-up outline above:
http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=12075367

I don't know if your camera will plug straight in via a USB port, but assuming it does it still mightn't allow the built in microphone to act as a standalone microphone. But via eBay you should be able to get a basic recording set-up going for not much £££ and then you can take those free-form songs and start to cut and craft and polish...:)

#3 2013-03-11 22:28:43

mr-leonor99
TMV Forum Member

cool, thank you :)

#4 2013-03-12 01:52:46

ronws
TMV Forum Member

Actually, I have wondered stuff about that. If you could plug in a vid cam and a good mic at the same time. And then, have just the sound from the good mic to play with the vid. Although, I suppose, you could vid cam into window movie maker and sound record into audacity. Then export that and import into movie maker and sync it up.

I don't know. I can barely record myself and I use Audacity. Then, again, when I was first recording, I had a panasonic 5 inch reel-to-reel recorder. I believe that would be called "old school."

Later, I would record into cassette recorders.

Then, I thought, I was doing great when I bought at a pawn shop a Tascam 4-track recorder that uses a cassette tape.

Then, again, I am old. When I was a kid, the internet was smoke signals from hilltop to hilltop.
;)

"When the daylight is rising up in my eyes ..." - Klaus Meine

#5 2013-03-12 07:33:37

derek_r
TMV Forum Member

Similar journey, here. I started off with reel to reel, then a Teac cassette deck that allowed just a single overdub, then a cassette porta-studio...

This laptop is just about shot now and there's a long lag even when typing let alone recording, so at the moment I've taken a step back and record into a little Tascam DP004. The built-in condenser mics aren't too bad at all. For my YouTube videos (which so far have been guitar based, rather than vocal based) I do exactly what you say, Ronws, I record the video on a digicam and the sound on the Tascam, import both into the PC and synch up the visuals and the sound in Windows Movie Maker. Job done.

When I get a more powerful lappy with some decent memory I shall look into a USB mic and some better recording software.

Kind regards,
Derek

#6 2013-03-13 01:53:01

ronws
TMV Forum Member

And what I do is still limited tech, so to speak. My desktop computer is "frankenstein." Built in 2005 by a friend with spare parts that were laying around back then. 40 G hd that I later had to partition because of a bad sector.

Windows XP. A friend from the forum got me my first decent mic. A Fame CM-1 studio condenser mic, stand, cable, pop screen, and a guitarface II USB interface. Later, on ebay, I got at half of retail, a Sennheiser e835 dynamic mic.

I record into Audacity, which is freeware. Whatever effect I have is post recording. And affects the entire track, whichever track that is. Sometimes, it works out. Other times, not so much. A friend recently gave me a 250 G usb based hd with Cubase on it but my computer is too old and slow to handle it.

Anyway, I have such a high ringing loud voice that I stomp the condenser something fierce. So, lately, I've gotten to recording with the Sennheiser, which handles loud volumes more easily. But, for a really crucial song, I rely upon the kindness of others to do the post-recording mixing for me.

For example, "Going to California" is a live take of me singing and playing guitar into one mic. So, my minimal mixing is okay.

However, with "Child in Time," singing against a backing track, I had Keith Goehner mix that for me, as my mixing skills really do stink beyond the "click and record" thing, even though I have read books about recording.

"When the daylight is rising up in my eyes ..." - Klaus Meine

#7 2013-03-22 05:25:05

TimmyP1955
TMV Forum Member

Audacity no.  Reaper yes.

OTHER TMV WEB SITES: TMV RECOMMENDS: TMV RECOMMENDS: TMV RECOMMENDS:

Adverts

Board footer