TMV Partners

You are not logged in.

Announcement

GO HERE: www.TheModernVocalistWorld.com

ATTENTION TMV WORLD FORUM MEMBERS! YOU NEED TO GO LOGIN AND/OR REGISTER AT THE NEW AND IMPROVED TMV WORLD FORUM SYSTEM.

CLICK THIS LINK TO GO TO THE NEW FORUM. WHEN YOU ARRIVE AT THE NEW FORUM, LOGIN OR REGISTER AND THEN CLICK ON "GETTING STARTED". ALL OF THE POSTS AND TOPICS HAVE BEEN MIGRATED OVER AND EXISTING MEMBERS WILL BE LINKED BACK TO ALL THEIR POSTS IN THE NEW SYSTEM AFTER YOU LOGIN.

www.TheModernVocalistWorld.com

IF YOU ARE A NEW VISITOR THAT JUST JOINED US, YOU ARE INVITED TO COME OVER TO OUR NEW FORUM SYSTEM. CLICK THIS LINK TO GO THERE AND REGISTER.

www.TheModernVocalistWorld.com

Adverts

• Index
  •  » Microphones
  •  » Dynamic vs Condensor mic for both recording and live?

#1 2012-10-31 22:13:55

jco5055
TMV Forum Member
Dynamic vs Condensor mic for both recording and live?

Hey guys, I'm finally starting to get some gear to both be able to gig without relying on other band member's/venue's equipment yet also building a mini home studio to make demos etc.  Now I'm on a tight budget and definitely won't be able to get everything I want for a while but I want to get for now just a single mic to both be able to record and perform live with.  I was looking into a shure digital wireless system (I've read multiple on-line guides as to how digital is better than analog wireless systems, and I find I can perform MUCH better when I don't worry about a wire), and either a shure m86 or a beta58.  Would one of these be better to do both recording and performing with?  I feel like I can probably for example record myself performing/gigging and use those videos to help get other gigs if I were to get the dynamic mic, while focus moreso on recording if I got the m86.  Any help would be appreciated!

2012-10-31 22:13:55

AdBot
Advertisements

#2 2012-11-03 10:31:02

TimmyP1955
TMV Forum Member
Re: Dynamic vs Condensor mic for both recording and live?

With wireless, you are paying extra for a gadget - for recording you want to pay for performance.  Unfortunately most of the better sounding mics (KMS105, VX10, AE5400, PR22) pick up too much unwanted sound to be usable in most live situations.  Based on hearsay, I would recommend a Heil PR35, which is said to be the best compromise between what you want and what you don't.

#3 2012-11-22 17:00:42

lorenzo
TMV Forum Member

In my humble opinion, you shouldn't seek for a mic that do both (record and live), because these are two different worlds. In other words, a mic for both applications won't do any of it good.
In short, for recordings, you need a condenser with a high captation. Since you told you gonna make home recording sessions (and I imagine that you don't have a properly sound-treated room), I suggest you buy an AudioTechnica AT-2035, which is a great mic, CHEAP, and especially designed for work in non treated environments - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jWa67K2NL1g. I own one and it's very nice! Of course there are other microphones much better, but cost a lot more and only sound good in studio treated environments.
As for live purposes, I can't tell you much, since I'm looking for a new one for myself too :P. But, I suggest you run away from Shure and look for a german mic, because they are high end (Sennheiser, Rode, etc.) or some specific US brands (Heil Sound and Audix). I'm saying that because of the quality of parts and building of these mics, but, in the end, it's all a matter of taste. You should also focus on what the microphone proposes to do - for instance, I have an Audix mic, which is WAY better than my JTS (a chinese cheap brand) in almost all aspects, but I always use the second one live, because although not as true to my natural voice, it gives me more "punch" and more definition on "vocal distortion", due to its frequency rate (at least, I guess that's the reason... lol).
All of the mics I mentioned are relatively cheap (much less $200), except for Heil Sound and some top models of each brand. With $400-500 you can buy 2 awesome mics (one for live and one for recordings). So, my final advice: get used to wires and FORGET the wireless systems, unless you have a lot of money to blow, because a medium wireless mic worth much more than a top wired one (without mention the receiver, which must be good = expensive).

Last edited by lorenzo (2012-11-22 17:56:16)

#4 2012-11-22 17:05:27

lorenzo
TMV Forum Member

Another videos of AudioTechnica AT-2035 that I quickly found on Youtube:
A guy singing - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HNigSy6YNIo
Another dude recording vocals and instrument - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=65Rbq7W8iCA
A review and singing by a freak dude - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HIQq6DpL … re=related

#5 2012-11-24 05:19:11

TimmyP1955
TMV Forum Member

Note that any review that lacked the mic being in the vicinity of a blasting PA and/or monitors is invalid for any mic that will be used in most live situations.

#6 2012-11-24 11:59:50

lorenzo
TMV Forum Member

TimmyP1955 wrote:

Note that any review that lacked the mic being in the vicinity of a blasting PA and/or monitors is invalid for any mic that will be used in most live situations.

I suggested using this mic ONLY for recordings, not for live purposes. For live, I suggest he buys another one. Again: one for each application.

• Index
  •  » Microphones
  •  » Dynamic vs Condensor mic for both recording and live?
OTHER TMV WEB SITES: TMV RECOMMENDS: TMV RECOMMENDS: TMV RECOMMENDS:

Adverts

Board footer