TMV Partners

You are not logged in.

Announcement

GO HERE: www.TheModernVocalistWorld.com

ATTENTION TMV WORLD FORUM MEMBERS! YOU NEED TO GO LOGIN AND/OR REGISTER AT THE NEW AND IMPROVED TMV WORLD FORUM SYSTEM.

CLICK THIS LINK TO GO TO THE NEW FORUM. WHEN YOU ARRIVE AT THE NEW FORUM, LOGIN OR REGISTER AND THEN CLICK ON "GETTING STARTED". ALL OF THE POSTS AND TOPICS HAVE BEEN MIGRATED OVER AND EXISTING MEMBERS WILL BE LINKED BACK TO ALL THEIR POSTS IN THE NEW SYSTEM AFTER YOU LOGIN.

www.TheModernVocalistWorld.com

IF YOU ARE A NEW VISITOR THAT JUST JOINED US, YOU ARE INVITED TO COME OVER TO OUR NEW FORUM SYSTEM. CLICK THIS LINK TO GO THERE AND REGISTER.

www.TheModernVocalistWorld.com

Adverts

#1 2012-11-18 21:21:03

WildStringdom
TMV Forum Member
Home Recording: Rode NT1-A vs. AKG Perception 220

Hi Everyone,

I'm looking to get my first condenser mic for home recording and wanted to solicit opinions.  The main purpose is to record vocals (male, baritone tenor, ranging from soft stuff to hard rock).  I was originally planning to get an AKG Perception 220 based on a friend's suggestion.  After looking through the forums, I could not find any mention of that mic for vocals, but it sounds like a lot of folks like the Rode NT1-A.  Both seem like great mics, and I like the fact that both come with some "extras" like a spider mount which helps keep the overall cost low.

So, here are the questions:

1) Has anyone out there used the AKG Perception 220 for vocal recording?
2) Should I get the AKG or spring for the Rode?

The cost difference between the mics is $110 based on the best prices I've seen.  I certainly don't mind paying the extra cash to get a better mic, but I want to make sure its worth the cost.  Keep in mind that I'm using a home recoding setup and don't have a sound isolation booth or anything fancy.  Recording through a Presonus Audio Box USB and Studio One software.

Thanks!

Last edited by WildStringdom (2012-11-18 21:27:24)

2012-11-18 21:21:03

AdBot
Advertisements

#2 2012-11-19 02:08:46

ronws
TMV Forum Member

Re: Home Recording: Rode NT1-A vs. AKG Perception 220

Robert Lunte, the benefactor of this forum and media site and author of the system "4 Pillars 2.0," is a self-admitted mic junkie. With loads of experience with stage work and recording work.

He is a believer in the Rode M-1. And a few others. He has a few threads here but you might also contact him. Any of his posts include his phone number, email, as well as site links to here.

My dynamic mic is a Senheisser e835, which suits my  light tenor voice. My condenser mic is a Fame CM - 1 and I am stomping on that something fierce, at it is very sensitive and I am constantly adjusting output on the USB interface that I use.

The Rode M-1 is considered comparable and more responsive than the Shure SM - 58, a mic that would be perfectly suited for your range of voice.

"When the daylight is rising up in my eyes ..." - Klaus Meine

#3 2012-11-20 05:11:34

WildStringdom
TMV Forum Member
Re: Home Recording: Rode NT1-A vs. AKG Perception 220

Thanks for the feedback, ronws.  I will give Robert a chance to reply here so that everyone may benefit from his wisdom, though I will keep in mind the email option as a backup.

I did read through some (but not all) of the threads, particularly the ones about the Rode NT1-A and studio mic preferences.  Since I'm really trying to build a high quality home recording setup, I was looking more at condenser mics rather than the dynamic mics.  Though I guess that opens the question as to which type of mic works best for home recording when sound isolation may not be that great.

One difference that I have noticed between these two mics is that the AKG includes a built-in switchable 20 dB attenuation pad, while the Rode does not.  Would that make the Rode harder to use for louder hard rock vocals?  I'm thinking the occasional belting or screaming... in the vein of Robert Plant, Jorn Lande, or James LaBrie.

OTHER TMV WEB SITES: TMV RECOMMENDS: TMV RECOMMENDS: TMV RECOMMENDS:

Adverts

Board footer