TMV Partners

You are not logged in.

Announcement

GO HERE: www.TheModernVocalistWorld.com

ATTENTION TMV WORLD FORUM MEMBERS! YOU NEED TO GO LOGIN AND/OR REGISTER AT THE NEW AND IMPROVED TMV WORLD FORUM SYSTEM.

CLICK THIS LINK TO GO TO THE NEW FORUM. WHEN YOU ARRIVE AT THE NEW FORUM, LOGIN OR REGISTER AND THEN CLICK ON "GETTING STARTED". ALL OF THE POSTS AND TOPICS HAVE BEEN MIGRATED OVER AND EXISTING MEMBERS WILL BE LINKED BACK TO ALL THEIR POSTS IN THE NEW SYSTEM AFTER YOU LOGIN.

www.TheModernVocalistWorld.com

IF YOU ARE A NEW VISITOR THAT JUST JOINED US, YOU ARE INVITED TO COME OVER TO OUR NEW FORUM SYSTEM. CLICK THIS LINK TO GO THERE AND REGISTER.

www.TheModernVocalistWorld.com

Adverts

#1 2012-07-11 22:08:02

CrewsRocks
TMV Forum Member
Removing Vocals

Hello Everyone,

I was hoping someone had some insight and experience with any products that would pull vocals out of CD's I already own.  A lot of the songs I would like to learn are not available from Amazon as a bed track.  I have done some research and it seems that there are some software and hardware options.  Roland makes some software called R-Mix that is supposed to be able to do that and I believe Vocopro makes some hardware.  If someone has a recommendation of something that works really well, or has any experience with the above products, I would really appreciate it.  I have heard that some of the products that can pull the vocals out distort the sound of the whole track.  Hoping to find something that will do a better job.  Look forward to hearing back!

2012-07-11 22:08:02

AdBot
Advertisements

#2 2012-07-11 22:14:05

zedbo
TMV Forum Member
Re: Removing Vocals

Good luck with this. If there's a product which pulls out vocals and leaving the backing track untouched - I've not heard if it...
That "distortion" you spoke of was, I suspect, the fact that removing frequencies will remove vocals but will also take out instrument sounds that occupy nearby frequencies, I used to dj and certainly using a combination of hi and lo pass filters does work to a degree. But it will muffle the sound (because, once again, you are blocking frequencies).
Z

#3 2012-07-11 22:29:03

CrewsRocks
TMV Forum Member

Appreciate the feedback!

#4 2012-07-15 13:46:02

ronws
TMV Forum Member

I use Audacity. It has a vocal removal plug-in. However, as Z pointed out, it removes frequencies around the human voice, which means you lose some of the instrumentation, which ends up sounding scratchy.

"When the daylight is rising up in my eyes ..." - Klaus Meine

#5 2012-07-16 10:10:37

nightfly68
TMV Forum Member

at the moment the principle to cancel a sound is the phase opposition.
If you  sum two sounds in perfect phase opposition dei cancel one the other.

Hystorically the voice have been put at the center of the mixing and all the vocal cancelers use this characteristic to remove it.

When you sum two signal to cancel the ones opposite, however you odify all the signals.
Some are increased and others reduced.
All the mix changes and get wrong.

The best way to obtain something is to act in 2 ways.
Use the canceler using a Daw and automation applying it only in the sung parts and deactivating in the instrumental parts.

Use a canceler that giv you the chance to select the frequency range of action (you set the lower limit to 350 hz, it's possible some far voice it's not removed, but you avoid to touch bass and kick bass, usually centered too), and if you find a vocal remover that may act moving the "L/R position of the voice" choosing if a voice is not centered but slightly moved.

I'm not sure but if I remember "power cdg creator" may remove vocals (but in any part of the song and not only selected parts.

OTHER TMV WEB SITES: TMV RECOMMENDS: TMV RECOMMENDS: TMV RECOMMENDS:

Adverts

Board footer