TMV Partners

You are not logged in.

Announcement

GO HERE: www.TheModernVocalistWorld.com

ATTENTION TMV WORLD FORUM MEMBERS! YOU NEED TO GO LOGIN AND/OR REGISTER AT THE NEW AND IMPROVED TMV WORLD FORUM SYSTEM.

CLICK THIS LINK TO GO TO THE NEW FORUM. WHEN YOU ARRIVE AT THE NEW FORUM, LOGIN OR REGISTER AND THEN CLICK ON "GETTING STARTED". ALL OF THE POSTS AND TOPICS HAVE BEEN MIGRATED OVER AND EXISTING MEMBERS WILL BE LINKED BACK TO ALL THEIR POSTS IN THE NEW SYSTEM AFTER YOU LOGIN.

www.TheModernVocalistWorld.com

IF YOU ARE A NEW VISITOR THAT JUST JOINED US, YOU ARE INVITED TO COME OVER TO OUR NEW FORUM SYSTEM. CLICK THIS LINK TO GO THERE AND REGISTER.

www.TheModernVocalistWorld.com

Adverts

#1 2011-05-09 17:33:39

Nik
TMV Forum Member

VL2 as preamp for homerecording

Hey all :)

atm I'm using the VL2 mainly as a preamp to get my vocals into the PC
I use its optical interface which is connected to a edirol FA-66.

but for some time now I try to find out the best settings and I'm kinda lost.
I've a NT2-A connected to it. I tried auto-gain and VL2 sets it to 24 dB. With this setting I have to have a distance of about 5-10 cm between mic and mouth
if I increase the distance, the sound I hear via headphones lowers very quickly.

I use slight shaping, set to 18%, EQ set to adaptive and warmth is off
I also use the gate, I set it to manual, lead attn. to -18 dB, harm. attn to -4 dB, threshold to -52 dB.
This way I won't record the fans of my PC but I'm also able to record silent sounds while singing and not cut them off

now the compressor: I don't really understand this one.
right now it's set like this: adaptive off, threshold -18 dB, ratio 2.2
if I disable it (or rise the threshold) I don't hear much at all, if I set the named values then I actually "see" a waveform after recording
the recorded signal's avg is around -6 dB, some peaks go up to -1 dB.
with compressor being disabled I record a signal avg of -15 dB or less!!

since I only want to use slight compression while recording, I'm not really sure about what to set on VL2 to be able to process the raw vocals later on and not lose any quality ...

can anyone give me some advice?
I don't know what correctly recorded raw vocals sound or what their waveforms look like

Thanks in advance!
Nik

2011-05-09 17:33:39

AdBot
Advertisements
OTHER TMV WEB SITES: TMV RECOMMENDS: TMV RECOMMENDS: TMV RECOMMENDS:

Adverts

Board footer