TMV Partners

You are not logged in.

Announcement

GO HERE: www.TheModernVocalistWorld.com

ATTENTION TMV WORLD FORUM MEMBERS! YOU NEED TO GO LOGIN AND/OR REGISTER AT THE NEW AND IMPROVED TMV WORLD FORUM SYSTEM.

CLICK THIS LINK TO GO TO THE NEW FORUM. WHEN YOU ARRIVE AT THE NEW FORUM, LOGIN OR REGISTER AND THEN CLICK ON "GETTING STARTED". ALL OF THE POSTS AND TOPICS HAVE BEEN MIGRATED OVER AND EXISTING MEMBERS WILL BE LINKED BACK TO ALL THEIR POSTS IN THE NEW SYSTEM AFTER YOU LOGIN.

www.TheModernVocalistWorld.com

IF YOU ARE A NEW VISITOR THAT JUST JOINED US, YOU ARE INVITED TO COME OVER TO OUR NEW FORUM SYSTEM. CLICK THIS LINK TO GO THERE AND REGISTER.

www.TheModernVocalistWorld.com

Adverts

#1 2014-12-12 18:41:23

guitar67
TMV Forum Member
Help for a bass/baritone

Hey guys. I'm some sort of bass/baritone and have been working on my voice for about 2.5 years with a vocal teacher online. I've definitely made some progress, but I'm feeling really discouraged after 2.5 years and still not feeling good enough to sing live. My main issues have to do with finding comfort and fluidity. Pitch isn't an issue, although range is. I'm trying to sing rock/pop. My vocal teacher is a tenor and, while he's a great singer and teacher, I feel like he might not be the best fit for me because he's never had a low voice like me. There aren't many teachers near me since I live in the middle of nowhere, so I'm sort of stuck to doing online lessons. I'm not really sure what kind of help I'm trying to ask for, but do you guys have any suggestions that have helped you lower voiced singers along the way? Maybe a vocal teacher you can recommend me to try out? I just feel like there has to be some critical component of the whole thing that I'm missing, because singing is just way too hard and I don't see how I can ever get to the point where it's comfortable and effortless. Just trying to have it be enjoyable and not so much hard unrewarding work all the time. Thanks for any help you can give :)

2014-12-12 18:41:23

AdBot
Advertisements

#2 2014-12-12 18:53:50

Gneetapp
TMV Forum Member
Re: Help for a bass/baritone

Hey guitar67, there are many highly skilled singers and vocal coaches in this forum, and they really participate giving great advices. I believe that most of them even teach lessons over Skype. Not to mention that this forum was created and it is maintained by Robert Lunte a great vocal professor/teacher/coach (and singer as well), who produced his own vocal method. However, I think you would benefit the most if you posted a clip/video/mp3 (doesn't need to be high quality) of your singing, so the people here could have an idea of where you are regarding your skills. Best of luck and keep rocking man! :cool:

#3 2014-12-12 20:41:15

Danielformica
TMV Forum Member
Website

guitar67 wrote:

Hey guys. I'm some sort of bass/baritone and have been working on my voice for about 2.5 years with a vocal teacher online. I've definitely made some progress, but I'm feeling really discouraged after 2.5 years and still not feeling good enough to sing live. My main issues have to do with finding comfort and fluidity. Pitch isn't an issue, although range is. I'm trying to sing rock/pop. My vocal teacher is a tenor and, while he's a great singer and teacher, I feel like he might not be the best fit for me because he's never had a low voice like me. There aren't many teachers near me since I live in the middle of nowhere, so I'm sort of stuck to doing online lessons. I'm not really sure what kind of help I'm trying to ask for, but do you guys have any suggestions that have helped you lower voiced singers along the way? Maybe a vocal teacher you can recommend me to try out? I just feel like there has to be some critical component of the whole thing that I'm missing, because singing is just way too hard and I don't see how I can ever get to the point where it's comfortable and effortless. Just trying to have it be enjoyable and not so much hard unrewarding work all the time. Thanks for any help you can give :)

Hey Guitar 67 I would love to hear you and see if you truly are a bass Baritone and if you are and want to sing pop and rock it doesn't matter. throw that classification in the garbage its for choral singers.  Feel free to Skype me(no cost)
Skype name-danielformica(san luis obispo). so i can hear you and see whats happening.  see ya

DANIEL
WWW.YOURVOCALTEACHER.COM
WWW.DANIELFORMICAVOCALSTUDIO.COM
www.soundcloud.com/daniel-formica

Disclaimer-Anything I write or try to help people with on here are techniques and things that have worked for ME.  They are not necessarily" right" or "wrong" but have worked for ME and my 20+ yrs as a professional working
singer.
Thank you

#4 2014-12-13 01:46:54

ronws
TMV Forum Member

Danielformica wrote:

guitar67 wrote:

Hey Guitar 67 I would love to hear you and see if you truly are a bass Baritone and if you are and want to sing pop and rock it doesn't matter. throw that classification in the garbage its for choral singers.  Feel free to Skype me(no cost)
Skype name-danielformica(san luis obispo). so i can hear you and see whats happening.  see ya

And a lot of times, choir directors will put you in a classification because they have a need. For example, a guy can get one or two low notes okay on certain vowels is all of a sudden a baritone.

Reminds me of my version of the Army motto:
Be all that you can be (as long as it's what we want you to be.)

Though that works in other branches of the armed forces. In 1978, my friend, Robby, joined the Air Force and started in electronics school as an E2 to work on communications equipment. About halfway through, they decided he was a diesel mechanic because they needed to replace one that was finished with his tour of duty at the USAF base in Wiesbaden, Germany.

"When the daylight is rising up in my eyes ..." - Klaus Meine

OTHER TMV WEB SITES: TMV RECOMMENDS: TMV RECOMMENDS: TMV RECOMMENDS:

Adverts

Board footer