TMV Partners

You are not logged in.

Announcement

GO HERE: www.TheModernVocalistWorld.com

ATTENTION TMV WORLD FORUM MEMBERS! YOU NEED TO GO LOGIN AND/OR REGISTER AT THE NEW AND IMPROVED TMV WORLD FORUM SYSTEM.

CLICK THIS LINK TO GO TO THE NEW FORUM. WHEN YOU ARRIVE AT THE NEW FORUM, LOGIN OR REGISTER AND THEN CLICK ON "GETTING STARTED". ALL OF THE POSTS AND TOPICS HAVE BEEN MIGRATED OVER AND EXISTING MEMBERS WILL BE LINKED BACK TO ALL THEIR POSTS IN THE NEW SYSTEM AFTER YOU LOGIN.

www.TheModernVocalistWorld.com

IF YOU ARE A NEW VISITOR THAT JUST JOINED US, YOU ARE INVITED TO COME OVER TO OUR NEW FORUM SYSTEM. CLICK THIS LINK TO GO THERE AND REGISTER.

www.TheModernVocalistWorld.com

Adverts

#1 2014-11-27 23:13:38

joshuakurnia
TMV Forum Member
Happy Thanksgiving! Can You Feel The Love Tonight. Tips and advices??

Any feedbacks, tips, advices, and thoughts are warmly welcomed :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XgZgffT0uM0

Last edited by joshuakurnia (2014-11-29 07:24:29)

2014-11-27 23:13:38

AdBot
Advertisements

#2 2014-12-04 13:43:41

slstone
TMV Forum Member

Re: Happy Thanksgiving! Can You Feel The Love Tonight. Tips and advices??

Interesting...nobody has commented yet.

Official Press Release - 'Book of Shadows' CD for sale now!
http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/slstone
https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/book- … d611487291
http://www.slstonemusic.com
Need music with which to sing along? 50% off All Services November Sale. Sign up now! http://stonecraftmusicstudio.com

#3 2014-12-07 14:38:43

KillerKu
TMV Forum Member

I'm curious. Do you know how to sing with a bit more volume? If it's an artistic choice, I can understand the understatement. It's just quieter and thinner than would usually be done. 

If you try to open up resonators (something that helps me is imagining widening the back of my throat), experiment with vowel shapes (uh as in up, is a thicker one), and apply breath support, you could add a lot more volume or more 'fullness' to the sound. It might help a bit with pitching too, although you did pretty well for this style of voice.

I don't know what your goal is, how much is choice and how much isn't. All things said, you emote fairly well which is good. Too many singers run through a song like it's a jungle gym, navigating the structure but not really feeling it. Whatever you do, keep that spark there, I can see some passion shining through and that can take you a long way.

#4 2014-12-08 19:00:58

joshuakurnia
TMV Forum Member

Thank you so much KillerKu! I really appreciate your insights :)

#5 2014-12-08 19:17:37

KillerKu
TMV Forum Member

joshuakurnia wrote:

Thank you so much KillerKu! I really appreciate your insights :)

Hey man. I checked out some of your piano tunes where you were singing, and it felt to me like you had more, I dunno, fire? Like you were holding back less and really immersing yourself in the experience.

I also thought that cup rhythm looked really challenging to coordinate with your singing. I am a drummer and I don't think I could pull that off with my singing at the same time. That's cool. Those are good skills to keep working on, to get your independence improved. A large portion of my favorite singers were multi-instrumentalists.

Maybe without the piano you're a bit more shy. I know I used to feel like my guitar was like a 'shield' kind of, without you can feel kind of 'naked.' Keep working on your voice, right, but don't be afraid to just let go like you were doing with that piano.

Last edited by KillerKu (2014-12-08 19:24:22)

#6 2014-12-11 04:47:28

joshuakurnia
TMV Forum Member

Thank you so much for your thoughts! I really appreciate it. I do feel I'm more comfortable with the piano, but the thing is I can't do improvisation. You know where some people could just listen to a song, start playing piano and sing? I couldn't do that because I was thought classic piano since I was little. I need to have chords sheets in front of me and then play according to it. I just can't play by ear :(

#7 2014-12-11 08:25:52

KillerKu
TMV Forum Member

Oh hey, improvisation is absolutely a skill you can learn. That is something I can definitely help you with. I've taught myself guitar, bass, drums, and piano. I'm weakest on piano, and read sheet music poorly, so we come from a bit of an opposite background.

For improvisation there are a few helpful things. The easiest is to use theory like scales and chords. So basically you would take something like the major scale:

1 root note (Do)
major 2nd  (2 semi tones up) (re)
major 3rd (4 semi tones up) (me)
fourth (5 semi tones up) (fa)
fifth (7 semi tones up) (so)
major 6th (9 semi tones up) (la)
Major 7th (11 semi tones  up) (ti)
Octave (12 semi tones) (do again, repeats)

And basically, go back and forth between the notes in this scale. Pay attention to how it sounds when you flip between these notes. Some people might call this approach 'noodling' but it's a really neat way to get into improvisation. If you form chords from within that structure, for example a major chord could be used on the root (root, 3rd, 5th), and form various harmonies from these positions, you can combine melodies and harmonies from the scale.

Anyway another cool thing about that major scale, is each note has it's own 'relative' scale that can become a new 'root note'. 3 semi tones down, or 9 semi tones up, would be the 'relative minor scale.' You can hear this shift in many classic chord progressions, like "Stand By Me." But centering the root note on each note in the scale, it create an entirely different personality, and flavor.

There are also stripped down scales, called pentatonic scales. If you had a flatted fifth (6 semi tones up) the minor pentatonic can turn it into the famous 'blues' scale.

Imo, piecing together sounds from scales (harmonies, individual note melodies) is the easiest way to improvise and it's where I started. I hit a wall where I realized I was mostly noodly, and realized I needed to use my ears primarily eventually. So I had to learn to 'hear' the notes, the spaces in between them to the point where I didn't really need scales or theory as much, and could put accidentals (notes outside the scales) that sounded right in my head.

Your singing will help you tremendously in ear training. Basically to ear train, you learn to identify how it sounds when notes are spaced a certain distance apart, both separately and in harmony (same time). Eventually you can develop an intuitive 'relative' pitch and will be able to hear a tune, and pick it out by ear. I can learn to play almost any melody that isn't blindingly fast by ear now. I don't have perfect pitch, and might have to stumble a bit from time to time to find a reference note, but it's really rewarding when you can hear the sounds in your head from a compositional standpoint, but also when hearing other music.

And eventually you learn to turn tie what you 'hear' into what you 'feel.' Create a synergy where you 'feel' the next note. It's a really beautiful part of the musical art form. Don't feel for even a second, that this isn't something you can learn to do, and learn to do well. You've got what it takes, and are already starting ahead by being able to sing. I trained myself from nothing with no teachers.

To start off training your ears, you can pick out any tune, even a really easy 'song' and pick out the melody on the keyboard. The best advice I have, is while you are playing the keyboard, sing and hold the note out. Hold it, and refuse to let go of the note no matter how many bad notes you play on the keyboard, until you have found the exact key on the keyboard that matches the note you're singing. It can be grueling, but you will eventually you'll find the notes faster and faster and it will become a part of you.

And I envy your reading skills. I've tried repeatedly but it turns my brain off. I got minuet in G Major and Minor down (catchy ditties miscredited to Bach). Then the other tunes weren't as catchy and there was so much paper. Could be I'm just bad at following instructions. :D

Seriously man, don't feel bad. Be excited this is a whole new world you can open up. It's like feeling bad you haven't visited Paris, with flight tickets on your desk. That's a place you can go to and the journey will be all the more exciting, discovering it all for the first time.

Last edited by KillerKu (2014-12-11 08:48:30)

#8 2014-12-11 16:20:08

MDEW
TMV Forum Member

Learning songs by ear is pretty simple once you get the Jist of things. There are BASIC chord patterns and everything evolves from there.
    A realquick jist is this, chords are built from a scale eg. C, D, E, F, G, A, B, C(1234567 8(1)).  The Cmajor Chord is made of the notes CEG(Root(1)3,5)....Dm is made of DFA (D is the root of the chord, 3m, 5 but in the scale D is the 2nd) Em is E,G,A ( 3rd of the scale)
    Chords made from this scale would be C(1), Dm(2m) Em(3m) F(4) G(5) Am(6m) Bdim(7).
    The most basic  chords used are 1,4,5 A typical Progression(pattern) in country music is 1,4,1,4,1,5,(C,F,C,F,C,G)
Balads are typically 1,6m,4,5(C,am,F,G)  once you start recognising the patterns picking out a song by ear becomes much easier.
   For Rock and country I usually JUST listen to the Rythm Guitar when learning a song. I can hear the Pattern easier.

Sheet music makes things more difficult because you are NOT just seeing the basic pattern you are seeing all the passing notes of a RUN also or the CHORDS are streched out, the notes of the chords played one at a time in its own pattern.

Last edited by MDEW (2014-12-11 16:39:15)

"Knock me down, It's all in vain. I'll get right back on my feet again."  Pat Benatar

#9 2014-12-11 18:52:12

ronws
TMV Forum Member

definitely make things easier. I taught myself classical guitar. I could read sheet music just fine but even old transcripts from Corelli and Damas-Tarrega were written in standard notation, which is fine for piano.

So, I would make my own tablature form. You have to remember this was the 80's and I was one step away from chiseling on cave walls. And so, I would work out each section as best fits my hand and write it in tab form.

"When the daylight is rising up in my eyes ..." - Klaus Meine

OTHER TMV WEB SITES: TMV RECOMMENDS: TMV RECOMMENDS: TMV RECOMMENDS:

Adverts

Board footer