TMV Partners

You are not logged in.

Announcement

GO HERE: www.TheModernVocalistWorld.com

ATTENTION TMV WORLD FORUM MEMBERS! YOU NEED TO GO LOGIN AND/OR REGISTER AT THE NEW AND IMPROVED TMV WORLD FORUM SYSTEM.

CLICK THIS LINK TO GO TO THE NEW FORUM. WHEN YOU ARRIVE AT THE NEW FORUM, LOGIN OR REGISTER AND THEN CLICK ON "GETTING STARTED". ALL OF THE POSTS AND TOPICS HAVE BEEN MIGRATED OVER AND EXISTING MEMBERS WILL BE LINKED BACK TO ALL THEIR POSTS IN THE NEW SYSTEM AFTER YOU LOGIN.

www.TheModernVocalistWorld.com

IF YOU ARE A NEW VISITOR THAT JUST JOINED US, YOU ARE INVITED TO COME OVER TO OUR NEW FORUM SYSTEM. CLICK THIS LINK TO GO THERE AND REGISTER.

www.TheModernVocalistWorld.com

Adverts

#1 2014-12-08 15:23:54

KillerKu
TMV Forum Member
Ain't Too Proud to Beg, Update

If anyone aside from Ronws remembers, I had some serious health problems and lost a good deal of my voice 6 years ago and started having horrific pain. I didn't know if I did it, and am not sure I'll ever know, as you can't go back in time. Anyway there was a breakthrough in that the location, severity and symptoms were similar to glossopharyngeal neuralgia:

http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency … 001636.htm

My neurologist said it's idiopathic so there is no way to guarantee this is the cause, but the good news is I've gotten on more medications that have been known to treat this condition (and ones like it) and it's helped a huge deal. It didn't fix it, I'm going to have it for the rest of my life, but I've regained a great deal of my voice and been able to use it more fully. It's been a huge thrill.

Throughout those years, my favorite singer has been David Ruffin. I actually discovered him after developing this, and wanted so badly to sing his stuff. There was something about his anguished voice that always drew me in, but there was no way I could do it justice. So recently I took a shot at Ain't Too Proud to Beg. It's a bit reverent, I'll never be as good as David Ruffin, but I'm satisfied.

https://soundcloud.com/killerku/ainttooproudtobegduet
https://soundcloud.com/killerku/ainttooproudtobegsolo

Feel free to critique or offer any input. I'm in a position where I can adjust technique. There are some techniques that are more aggravating than others (strangely enough not rasp) but I can handle constructive critique or criticism and am open to your thoughts.

Last edited by KillerKu (2014-12-08 15:40:26)

2014-12-08 15:23:54

AdBot
Advertisements

#2 2014-12-08 16:58:26

Bzean123
TMV Forum Member
Re: Ain't Too Proud to Beg, Update

Killer

Holy shit dude, that condition sounds terrible! Good on you for working through it and not giving up on singing. I hope the condition remains manageable for you.

Never heard of David Ruffin before, but that's a cool song and you sounded pretty good on it. You have a nice rasp going on, but it tends to die out at the ends of lines, eg whenever you sing 'me' at the end of a line, the volume and intensity drops off dramatically. Also, when you go up high into head or falsetto, it seems to me the volume sometimes drops off a bit, though that might be intentional on your part. In short, your control of volume and dynamics seems a little bit ragged. I'm sure as you regain your voice, that control will come back.

#3 2014-12-08 17:09:21

KillerKu
TMV Forum Member

Cool man. Thanks for the thoughts. The original song has thing but covered falsetto. I tend to favor falsetto over head voice on my upper range especially when singing bluesy. Here's the actual track:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=crWSG6liT5Y

Motown records were pretty highly compressed compressed though so you can't really tell.

I'll take your thoughts on the me vowel into consideration. I sing it very differently from song to song.

#4 2014-12-08 17:30:02

Bzean123
TMV Forum Member

Killer

LOL, I knew I knew that song. Didn't know David Ruffin was the Temptations though.

#5 2014-12-08 17:44:47

KillerKu
TMV Forum Member

Bzean123 wrote:

Killer

LOL, I knew I knew that song. Didn't know David Ruffin was the Temptations though.

Hahaha, I was thinking, "what planet can someone escape this song on?" I thought that was cool. Yeah, he's much more known for his stuff with the Temptations (most famously My Girl) but I love a lot of his solo work. If you want to hear him really tear it up, take a listen to him singing Rainy Night in Georgia:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GOWzrWdC1pI

I won't be able to do justice to that one any time soon. Low E2, shrieking like a madman in the 6th octave, but it never felt like he was showing off to me. It sounds like those squeals and grunts were just what came out of the guy. It sound to me like he just couldn't contain something, probably anguish that he had no other way to let go but just yell, squeal, shriek. Just let it go, right? He had a bad childhood.

Ray Charles was another guy that has had just can't contain himself quality. He seemed to be filled with more playful excitement though. Toots Hibbert is still alive it's too bad he stopped touring. He is similar but it's like joy that he can't contain. It fascinates me how such vastly different emotions can come through like a similar sound like a 'rasp' and be completely different.

But it's not just rasp, it's like the entire voice is like this, even a feathery light sound can bite. Beautiful instrument. Love your voice, respect it.

Last edited by KillerKu (2014-12-08 18:01:50)

#6 2014-12-08 18:19:43

Bzean123
TMV Forum Member

Yeah mon. True.

Ray Charles is my favorite singer. The soul just oozes out of him. Its hard to top Macca's versions of his songs, but Ray does it on Yesterday. Takes it to a different universe, just like he did with those old country songs like You Don't Know Me. That stuff transcends technique.

#7 2014-12-08 18:54:29

KillerKu
TMV Forum Member

Bzean123 wrote:

Yeah mon. True.

Ray Charles is my favorite singer. The soul just oozes out of him. Its hard to top Macca's versions of his songs, but Ray does it on Yesterday. Takes it to a different universe, just like he did with those old country songs like You Don't Know Me. That stuff transcends technique.

Huge innovator and musical genius. Without Ray, I don't even know if soul music would exist. Certainly wouldn't be the same. Something that really struck me was when he was asked if he ever got sick of singing Georgia On My Mind, he said, 'no, cause I've never once sung it the same way. Why? he never felt the same way when singing it it.'

That' s a direct channeling of his emotions into the voice like a lightning rod collects lighting. A conductor. If you could sum up what makes me want to sing and what makes me want to listen to singers, I think the way he defined the way he sung is about as close as you could get. 

I've always had a weird relationship with this forum, as I love singing, I love listening to singers and I do like critiquing, constructive feedback is valuable. Technique is cool and helps people and I help when I can, but I'm far from the best technical singer here and when it comes down to it, I really don't care much about technique. I'm definitely more of a feeling kind of person when it comes to music.

The site is called the modern vocalist, right? But the content is kind of the modern vocalist's 'technique' rather than the entire package of what being a vocalist is. I kind of wish there as a more artistic section on the site as this is the biggest gathering of singers I know of in the world, and it's really something special. But maybe it's good to have a balanced perspective in the critique section as well.

Last edited by KillerKu (2014-12-08 18:58:09)

#8 2014-12-09 01:50:44

ronws
TMV Forum Member

I do remember Killer. And I am so glad to see that you have found a doctor to help you.

I love your tone on this. I did not know you have soul but you certainly do. I am not counting probably 2, maybe 3 slightly off pitch notes. I think you treated this as a live experience and to be truthful to your statement that this is where you voice is now coming from, no fancy tricks.

You really got close to the original on this in both tone and emotional presentation.

"When the daylight is rising up in my eyes ..." - Klaus Meine

#9 2014-12-09 02:51:00

KillerKu
TMV Forum Member

ronws wrote:

I do remember Killer. And I am so glad to see that you have found a doctor to help you.

I love your tone on this. I did not know you have soul but you certainly do. I am not counting probably 2, maybe 3 slightly off pitch notes. I think you treated this as a live experience and to be truthful to your statement that this is where you voice is now coming from, no fancy tricks.

You really got close to the original on this in both tone and emotional presentation.

Pretty close to live. I had to rest a little and ran out of time on the backing vocals (family member got home). So I copied and pasted a few of my harmonies heh. So it's very close and prefer to leave rough edges, yeah, unless something is ridiculously bad. Even I've got my limits.

I can still have trouble making it through entire songs. Singing on average more often seems to increase my endurance, but I get flare ups where it's better to just rest. A year ago I'd get stopped at a verse, and a year before that I couldn't even speak, currently I've made it multiple songs on a good day of full blast singing and each milestone was marked with more/different meds.

You gonna post something? Haven't seen anything from you on the last few pages. You gotta update me.

#10 2014-12-09 10:18:12

ronws
TMV Forum Member

I've posted plenty of stuff. But this is your thread and I am not going to fill up your thread with my stuff.

"When the daylight is rising up in my eyes ..." - Klaus Meine

#11 2014-12-09 18:01:55

akarawd
TMV Forum Member

I am not familiar with the original or the artist but it sounded really solid.
Your voice has got weight yet cuts through real nice, I liked it a lot!

Than

#12 2014-12-09 18:32:37

KillerKu
TMV Forum Member

akarawd wrote:

I am not familiar with the original or the artist but it sounded really solid.
Your voice has got weight yet cuts through real nice, I liked it a lot!

Than

Nice to hear man. Glad you enjoyed it.

OTHER TMV WEB SITES: TMV RECOMMENDS: TMV RECOMMENDS: TMV RECOMMENDS:

Adverts

Board footer