TMV Partners

You are not logged in.

Announcement

GO HERE: www.TheModernVocalistWorld.com

ATTENTION TMV WORLD FORUM MEMBERS! YOU NEED TO GO LOGIN AND/OR REGISTER AT THE NEW AND IMPROVED TMV WORLD FORUM SYSTEM.

CLICK THIS LINK TO GO TO THE NEW FORUM. WHEN YOU ARRIVE AT THE NEW FORUM, LOGIN OR REGISTER AND THEN CLICK ON "GETTING STARTED". ALL OF THE POSTS AND TOPICS HAVE BEEN MIGRATED OVER AND EXISTING MEMBERS WILL BE LINKED BACK TO ALL THEIR POSTS IN THE NEW SYSTEM AFTER YOU LOGIN.

www.TheModernVocalistWorld.com

IF YOU ARE A NEW VISITOR THAT JUST JOINED US, YOU ARE INVITED TO COME OVER TO OUR NEW FORUM SYSTEM. CLICK THIS LINK TO GO THERE AND REGISTER.

www.TheModernVocalistWorld.com

Adverts

#1 2014-12-09 05:14:05

wylee113
TMV Forum Member
I'm new here! Here is my Hozier cover

Hey! I'm 25/f, amateur vocalist. I've never had any training so feedback is very much appreciated. This song is mildly out of my range for the lower notes, but I just really love singing this song so I thought it might be a good place to start. Any advice on how to improve tone, breathing, or hitting notes that are a bit of a stretch is especially encouraged, though any feedback is welcome!

This is just an acapella vocal of me singing "Take Me to Church" by Hozier. Thanks for taking the time to listen :)

https://soundcloud.com/wylee113/take-me-to-church-1

2014-12-09 05:14:05

AdBot
Advertisements

#2 2014-12-09 15:37:19

KillerKu
TMV Forum Member
Re: I'm new here! Here is my Hozier cover

You've got a good starting tone to develop from as it's pleasant. For the most part your pitch is well above average for someone who hasn't been trained. More good things: you aren't straining and seem to get through your bridge into your falsetto/headvoice/whatever. I can hear emotional inflections in your voice and they aren't pulling you out of tune.

Things to work on: the first amens, there was a bit of melissma that sounded uncertain and was affecting pitch. Maybe slow a section like that down, and slowly do each note, speed it up. As a longer term solution, just take every vowel in the language, and practice switching notes up and down, to the same vowels.

As for vocal direction. The track didn't sound compressed, but the volume and intensity could a bit conversational. You sound like you are supporting and connected in a way that isn't bad or destructive, but it almost as if you're still halfway in talk mode, rather than sing mode. I don't think that is bad (talky singers are cool) but I'm not sure it's intentional. Some ways you could make things a little less talkish would be to play around with resonators, support, and just 'volume' both loud and quiet. See if you're comfortable singing louder and quieter. Try making heavier (can be useful to widen the back of the throat a little more) and lighter sounds (think a little like falsetto), cutting sounds (lifting the middle back of your tongue high and wide to your top molars, can increase cut) Play around with tones and see if you might enjoy a wider palette. And if you are struggling, it may be you need to increase your support as well to get.   

This is definitely something you can take far. It's going to have a lot to do with where you want to go. It's going to have a lot to do with what is meaningful to you and how you want to express that to others.

#3 2014-12-09 18:03:17

wylee113
TMV Forum Member

Thank you so much for this feedback! I will definitely work on the melisma, because, like you said, those feel uncertain to me and I'd like to sing them with more confidence. I will also try to play around with volume and intensity. It actually was somewhat intentional that I sang this in a "talk" mode, but only because I am often self-conscious that my voice is too loud. So I've always tried to hold back just a tad while singing because I'm worried about sounding too "yelly" or belty. I don't know the correct terms for that :P

Singing gives me more joy than many things in this world. I would love to get some formal training, but right now I don't have the money. Either way, I'm going to keep practicing! :D

#4 2014-12-09 18:30:24

KillerKu
TMV Forum Member

That makes me really happy to hear, I thought I could hear the love of singing your voice, like an uplifting kind of vibe. That already shines through.

I understand about wanting to be polite. I have a similar thing in that I live in somewhat of an apartment complex. I'll just say there are definitely ways that I know of to get louder in which I choose not to do, although sometimes I really wish I could turn up the volume to 11/10 Spinal Tap style without consequences.

But you're cool, I think you can turn it up some, and just think, the better you get, you'd become ever so marginally less annoying to potential neighbors! ;)

Last edited by KillerKu (2014-12-09 18:31:10)

OTHER TMV WEB SITES: TMV RECOMMENDS: TMV RECOMMENDS: TMV RECOMMENDS:

Adverts

Board footer