TMV Partners

You are not logged in.

Announcement

GO HERE: www.TheModernVocalistWorld.com

ATTENTION TMV WORLD FORUM MEMBERS! YOU NEED TO GO LOGIN AND/OR REGISTER AT THE NEW AND IMPROVED TMV WORLD FORUM SYSTEM.

CLICK THIS LINK TO GO TO THE NEW FORUM. WHEN YOU ARRIVE AT THE NEW FORUM, LOGIN OR REGISTER AND THEN CLICK ON "GETTING STARTED". ALL OF THE POSTS AND TOPICS HAVE BEEN MIGRATED OVER AND EXISTING MEMBERS WILL BE LINKED BACK TO ALL THEIR POSTS IN THE NEW SYSTEM AFTER YOU LOGIN.

www.TheModernVocalistWorld.com

IF YOU ARE A NEW VISITOR THAT JUST JOINED US, YOU ARE INVITED TO COME OVER TO OUR NEW FORUM SYSTEM. CLICK THIS LINK TO GO THERE AND REGISTER.

www.TheModernVocalistWorld.com

Adverts

#1 2014-12-05 13:33:19

FelipeCarvalho
TMV Forum Member
Website

Felipe Carvalho - Forever and One (Helloween)

This one was on my TODO list for a long while, getting it out of the way :). This is one of the songs that when I began studying, was completely out of my capability, did not get past the first verse.

https://app.box.com/s/ifz9wjnq90k57wsn68a8

Everyone that listens and drops a few lines, thanks a lot!!!

Felipe

2014-12-05 13:33:19

AdBot
Advertisements

#2 2014-12-05 20:17:43

Robert Lunte
TMV World Forum - Founder
Website

Re: Felipe Carvalho - Forever and One (Helloween)

Felipe cool... I have to smile because I have a folder of "todo" songs to do as well... I know the feeling. Nice work...

First impression... I like your mix... the vocals are sitting inside the track nicely...

Voice sounds great... really stable and confident... nice colors... I think it sounds great.

Curious... what parts of the song were a challenge for you and what was the solution to get over the hump?

#3 2014-12-06 14:49:18

bono1982
TMV Forum Member

Hi Felipe, really good job! i didnĀ“t know de song. After your post i listened to the original and  I have to say that I liked more your voice! nicer and with more body.. The only thing that I think you could do it better are some low notes in the begining of the song... the rest of the song is great! Congratulations ;)

check out to my souncloud page! :) 
https://soundcloud.com/matias-azar-1

#4 2014-12-06 15:33:54

ronws
TMV Forum Member

I agree with bono. Awesome take and pretty much my favorite song from Helloween.

And if I may be so presumptuous and probably totally wrong, I think the low notes that sound less prominent than maybe bono and I were expecting has to do with mic proximity. You have the pitch and the tonality, they could have just been a little fuller, closer to the mic. Which is a recording thing, not my area of expertise, as you well know.

That being said, it does not detract from the enjoyment of this cover. Bravo, Maestro.

"When the daylight is rising up in my eyes ..." - Klaus Meine

#5 2014-12-07 11:22:30

m.i.r.
TMV Forum Member

Felipe.....Awesome man, I actually went back and listened to the original first before i even listened to your voice in it. I can actually say i like your voice in it better, I think if the backing vocals werent so loud and your voice covered that broad spectrum your vocals would pop even more. My only thing to say which really isnt much, i feel you have lost connect with your chest voice, not a huge deal really however i think if you started working on your lows to match your highs, not much could touch you.

However, when you get past your mid range your voice really comes alive and it just keeps on the higher you get. I am also jealious of your small natural rasp you have, such a cool effect. I can also hear the opera you studied when you kick in your vibrato, it is smooth, wide, but not wobble very pleasing. Keep them coming...

#6 2014-12-09 14:26:44

FelipeCarvalho
TMV Forum Member
Website

Hi Robert, thanks for the words :).

This song kinda hit all my problems together, there are a lot of things around A4, and due to improper prior training I had a tendency to darken that area so much that it woud open my voice, or just force it...

I also would let the registration flip for the highest ones and I could not go back to "normal voice" when I wanted.

No dynamic control...

Messed up is the best way to describe it, I may have an old "half there" recording somewhere around here, I think I even sent it on the technical section once.

Thanks!

@ bono oh thank you for the kind words! Got that :)

@ ronws thanks for listening, once more, and for the words :) It could be... Maybe should have done it louder?

@ m.i.r  Oh thank you man :) ! I will keep it in mind about chest voice, when I get back to my lessons its one of the things I want to check!

Last edited by FelipeCarvalho (2014-12-09 14:31:42)

#7 2014-12-09 15:08:53

KillerKu
TMV Forum Member

I'd never heard this song until I came to this forum, but I've heard more than a few renditions here to recognize it. To my ears your version is the most polished in memory.

If you could pull off something like this live, you could probably find a market for this. I think the other, "Thousand Years" song you posted would reach a wider audience, but this musical style has its share of fans as well. I don't what your plans are, but if it involves becoming a known singer to a larger audience than fellow singers, the lack of cohesive identity might be the biggest barrier.

If you find a style that really resonates with you, you might consider placing your focus primarily on it. It certainly isn't that can't execute a large number of styles (Dio sang almost Doo Wop), but if people don't have any consistent benchmark they know you by, it can be kind of like, 'oh cool, the guy who does all of the voices' rather than 'this is an artist I identify with.' You're good enough to be the former, and make something of it, but just know the latter is likely available to you as well.

OTHER TMV WEB SITES: TMV RECOMMENDS: TMV RECOMMENDS: TMV RECOMMENDS:

Adverts

Board footer