TMV Partners

You are not logged in.

Announcement

GO HERE: www.TheModernVocalistWorld.com

ATTENTION TMV WORLD FORUM MEMBERS! YOU NEED TO GO LOGIN AND/OR REGISTER AT THE NEW AND IMPROVED TMV WORLD FORUM SYSTEM.

CLICK THIS LINK TO GO TO THE NEW FORUM. WHEN YOU ARRIVE AT THE NEW FORUM, LOGIN OR REGISTER AND THEN CLICK ON "GETTING STARTED". ALL OF THE POSTS AND TOPICS HAVE BEEN MIGRATED OVER AND EXISTING MEMBERS WILL BE LINKED BACK TO ALL THEIR POSTS IN THE NEW SYSTEM AFTER YOU LOGIN.

www.TheModernVocalistWorld.com

IF YOU ARE A NEW VISITOR THAT JUST JOINED US, YOU ARE INVITED TO COME OVER TO OUR NEW FORUM SYSTEM. CLICK THIS LINK TO GO THERE AND REGISTER.

www.TheModernVocalistWorld.com

Adverts

#1 2014-12-08 00:48:39

najtreb
TMV Forum Member
a short clip of me singing a britney song

Hello,

This  is me singing a song, I hope you like it and give me some advice. I have'd post a song before, but haven't got any reaction. Maby it was to bad and I think I'm a little better now and if no one reacts I gonna work twice as hard. Sorry for my bad English I'm from the Netherlands so it's not my first language.

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x2c1hw … 1157_music

2014-12-08 00:48:39

AdBot
Advertisements

#2 2014-12-08 01:00:50

Bzean123
TMV Forum Member
Re: a short clip of me singing a britney song

Najtreb

The link doesn't seem to be working.

#3 2014-12-08 01:27:57

najtreb
TMV Forum Member

I think he works fine now. Tank you for your comment

#4 2014-12-08 06:06:07

m.i.r.
TMV Forum Member

Um just after a quick listen (the link would only load half), but i was able to get to the chorus. Sounds like you have the vocal fold closure down. However, your support is lacking. So i would prob work on support exercises, it will help with your legato lines, diction and power. If you always have the proper pressure under the folds, then great thing follow. Once you get the right feeling of it, your body just takes and runs with it.  However, you have good tone and are on pitch from what i remember of the original song. Nice work!

#5 2014-12-08 12:38:00

najtreb
TMV Forum Member

tank you for your advice.. it's just a piece of the song not the full song, it's just 1 verse and the chorus.

#6 2014-12-08 15:07:35

Singingnewbie
TMV Forum Member

Always tune your guitar before you play. Keep a steady tempo and use a metronome if needed and slow the tempo to be more relaxed. You did ok in my opinion. Keep up the work!

#7 2014-12-08 16:04:37

KillerKu
TMV Forum Member

I agree about the guitar tuning thing. It's more difficult to sing in tune to an out of tune guitar as well. :D

What I'm getting out of this is you have a fascinating tone, but an unpolished delivery. The timbre, you may want to polish, but it has a really distinctive quality. There's a joke about Stevie Nicks sounding like a goat, that 'behhhhh,' and you have some of this timbre. Keep in mind Stevie Nicks has sold millions of albums, and lot of singers I am fond of can dip into this tone (Nina Simone).

I wouldn't abandon the tone, but it could use some polishing as it is rough and it sounds like you're having trouble staying on pitch. The idea on support is quite good, but I'd highly recommend you tune that guitar, learn some scales, musical intervals, and just sing along to them a bit musically. I'm a pretty big Lou Reed fan, listen to him at least once a week, that would tell most singers how much I care about perfect pitch, but I think you gotta reel your pitch in. There's off key in a kind of charming way, and then there is off key in a way that is so pronounced, it will lose most audiences, right?

So yeah, I think if you combine the advice above on breath support. One of my favorite exercises, is to inhale through an invisible straw very deeply, feel your solar plexis (above your stomach, below your chest) 'engage' and try to maintain that sensation of 'engagement' while 'hissing' out an Ssssssssss sound in a relaxed but engaged way. if you do it right, you'll get dizzy at least the first time. It's a good sign, ;).

Another way you can feel those areas that engage, is to just kind of say 'umph' almost like you're going to punch a punching bag. You won't sing like that per se, but the most important part is to feel the engagement down below and try to let the sound come up and out of your throat.

If you polish off these things, a bit, and you can keep some of the tone, you might modify your vowels a bit and change your breath a little to make it a bit more nuanced.

Anyway the final thing, is I also liked slurred singers. I think you could really benefit from enunciation, making words a bit clear. If you think of it, you kind of would poke each consonant out a bit more. Like if you're on a phone, and someone is like, what? And then you're lie, oh ****, and you speak very clearly. There's a whole world to explore between them, but unless this is exactly the statement you want to make, it would help people relate more.

#8 2014-12-08 20:50:05

najtreb
TMV Forum Member

Tank you for your advice.. I know that I have to improve my guitar playing skills and I'm shure I can do that. Also I'm going to look for some good exercises on the internet.

#9 2014-12-08 22:48:59

m.i.r.
TMV Forum Member

The straw exercise killfu said is very useful. You can also sing through the straw as well. Really helps you feel the support, just keep your fold closure during it like you were actually trying to sing. You can also do it with the straw in water, just do it by the sink cause water likes to go a little crazy. However, that will even let you feel your support even more.

Also try and keep from letting your ribs collapse. Imagine your body as a tube of toothpaste. Squeezing only from the bottom while the top stays full of paste and slowly exiting from the top. You dont need alot of air flow, just need steady compression. The "appogio" from my classical days is one of my biggest weapons of making big sound, without blowing the folds apart, or tiring from too much support. If your ribs collapse to help move air, they have the power to blow your folds apart, and also create glottal shock (blowing your folds apart almost like a cough). The reason i mention this is because your closure is good. However, if you start to get more support, i have seen people try to resist it with even more closure and gets up wearing the folds, as well as causing stamina issues and navigating registers. If you resist too much then your false chords will start to step in, and that is very bad lol. However, if you keep your ribs in check and only compress with the core, it makes glottal shock very very hard to do.

There are many other exercises we can recommend if you cant find any good ones through your research.

Last edited by m.i.r. (2014-12-08 22:49:24)

OTHER TMV WEB SITES: TMV RECOMMENDS: TMV RECOMMENDS: TMV RECOMMENDS:

Adverts

Board footer