TMV Partners

You are not logged in.

Announcement

GO HERE: www.TheModernVocalistWorld.com

ATTENTION TMV WORLD FORUM MEMBERS! YOU NEED TO GO LOGIN AND/OR REGISTER AT THE NEW AND IMPROVED TMV WORLD FORUM SYSTEM.

CLICK THIS LINK TO GO TO THE NEW FORUM. WHEN YOU ARRIVE AT THE NEW FORUM, LOGIN OR REGISTER AND THEN CLICK ON "GETTING STARTED". ALL OF THE POSTS AND TOPICS HAVE BEEN MIGRATED OVER AND EXISTING MEMBERS WILL BE LINKED BACK TO ALL THEIR POSTS IN THE NEW SYSTEM AFTER YOU LOGIN.

www.TheModernVocalistWorld.com

IF YOU ARE A NEW VISITOR THAT JUST JOINED US, YOU ARE INVITED TO COME OVER TO OUR NEW FORUM SYSTEM. CLICK THIS LINK TO GO THERE AND REGISTER.

www.TheModernVocalistWorld.com

Adverts

#1 2014-11-30 11:24:06

IamHo
TMV Forum Member
What actually is sing on pitch?

I know that you have to sing in the same pitch as the song is, but I have listen to a lot of covers in Youtube and all of them sing in different pitch but yet they are still singing on pitch? Does pitch mean the "note" or the frequency which is "volume"? I'm so confuse... please clarify...

2014-11-30 11:24:06

AdBot
Advertisements

#2 2014-11-30 11:39:30

ThePowerOfOne
TMV Forum Member
Re: What actually is sing on pitch?

Maybe you're confusing "pitch" and "key"?

Singing in pitch means singing the correct individual notes (not going flat or sharp) as they relate to the key of your song.

So for instance, if you're singing to an instrumental of a song, but the key is too high for you then you'll be singing off key/off pitch throughout the whole piece most likely.

If you're singing in a comfortable key then you should be in key/on pitch throughout the piece, unless you're missing notes here and there,  and it that case you'll be off key/off pitch for those specific notes.

I probably made it sound more complicated than it is. :P

#3 2014-11-30 13:24:11

Clint Torres
TMV Forum Member

ThePowerOfOne wrote:

Maybe you're confusing "pitch" and "key"?

I think this may be the case.

#4 2014-11-30 13:58:58

IamHo
TMV Forum Member

I still don't get it.

#5 2014-11-30 14:18:32

Clint Torres
TMV Forum Member

If you sing single notes  for example and go through a scale note by note you want to be on pitch.  You play a single piano note for each note you sound out. You want to match each piano note. If you don't match the note and either fall flat or go sharp, that is being off pitch. So when you sing you can be perfect throughout the song but be off pitch in a few spots.  Now. Those notes in a song have to all be on pitch otherwise you have flat or sharp spots.  But. If you take away the music and sing acapella then you still need to be on pitch. A note is a note, always.  However without any music you'll never be off key. The key is whatever key you're singing in if there is no backing music. It's just the particular key (of choice) for the song.  Add backing music and you and the band/back track must be in matching keys. 

Now "key" is a little different. You can sing a whole song on pitch even without music. It will sound good because the pitch is correct, note by note.  As and example a C is  C when it's supposed to be and not sharp or flat etc.  The same holds true for all the notes.   So everything can be right and sounding great.  Suppose you are singing in the key of  E.  Wow, sounds great and every note is on pitch.  Let's add some music. If the music starts and the band is playing in E then you and the band are in matching Keys and all is well.  If, however, the band goofs and plays in C, the you and the band will be in different keys.  Your singing may be fantastic and every note pure as the golden sun (on pitch). However it will be out of key (synch) with the band and sound like two different songs.

It can also work the opposite way. The band is in the right key and you are singing the wrong key.

Pitch may be the individual notes while key is the key signature of the song.

Ok, now you can say you're confused :D

Last edited by Clint Torres (2014-11-30 14:35:35)

#6 2014-11-30 15:14:55

ronws
TMV Forum Member

I learned to play "Dust in the Wind" in the key of C, which also happens to match all the notes in the 8-tone chromatic starting at any C in the range. And the relative minor for the key of C is Am. And that is the intro, in a contrapuntal picking strategy, admitted by Kerry Livgren, as a finger exercise he would use to warm up his hands for playing. Now, if I sing or play a note that is not a match to any note in the C scale or the Am scale, that is off pitch, especially if it is slightly off, rather than an intentionally different note to provide an harmonic variance. For example, I go for one of the A4's in that song, and I wind up somewhere between Ab4 and A4, that is off-pitch, specifically flat. Most people singing flat are somewhere between 1/10 to 1/4 flat. Since the majority of humans have relative pitch, the 1/10 or less difference is usually unnoticable.

Now, IamHo, you are asking about people that seem to be singing in a key different than that song. That is, they may have the right notes for the key they are in, which is not matching the key of the song. Like, if you could shut off the music, they would sound okay. Well, I don't know what happened to them then.

But singing on pitch is singing the note, regardless of the key of the song. For example, singing an A4 on pitch is singing or creating a frequency of 440 Hz (cycles per second.) That is regardless of instrument, whether piano, guitar, or voice. A4 is 440 and whatever is creating that A4 is vibrating something, whether a string or vocal folds or the reed on a clarinet at 440 Hz.

It is said that half of singing is good listening. So, get to a point where you can hear well and it will help to inform one's singing.

"When the daylight is rising up in my eyes ..." - Klaus Meine

#7 2014-11-30 16:48:22

MDEW
TMV Forum Member

To break it down into laymans terms..... Singing on pitch is singing in tune with the music.   I have heard people even on this forum. Record their singing without music and then dub the music over their singing. The result is that the The singing does not match the music.

"Knock me down, It's all in vain. I'll get right back on my feet again."  Pat Benatar

#8 2014-11-30 17:14:47

Clint Torres
TMV Forum Member

MDEW wrote:

Record their singing without music and then dub the music over their singing. The result is that the The singing does not match the music.

MDEW I would say that was a Key issue rather than pitch.  If it were pitch it would sound off even with no music.

#9 2014-11-30 18:11:50

MDEW
TMV Forum Member

Clint Torres wrote:

MDEW wrote:

Record their singing without music and then dub the music over their singing. The result is that the The singing does not match the music.

MDEW I would say that was a Key issue rather than pitch.  If it were pitch it would sound off even with no music.

True, I was trying to give the general idea without going into the concept of "Key".  It seems that some "Singers" do not look into basic Music theory like beginning musicians would for another instrument.
   To convey the idea of singing in tune or on pitch we usually end up describing music theory just to relay what singing in tune means(singing on pitch).
   I should have added to the earlier post "without realising that the singing did not match the music".
   "Singing on pitch" is singing one particular note within a line matching  the same frequency as the other instruments that are sounding that note.

"Knock me down, It's all in vain. I'll get right back on my feet again."  Pat Benatar

#10 2014-11-30 18:25:45

Clint Torres
TMV Forum Member

MDEW wrote:

It seems that some "Singers" do not look into basic Music theory like beginning musicians would for another instrument.

Good point. I would say that it's more than just some. More like most new singers.  Aspiring singers seem not to consider the voice another instrument like any other. I think of it as a stringed instrument. :)

I think some basic knowledge of theory, notes and scales, progressions, some guitar and even horns (yea, I said horn. Too much to explain here though) would help vocals so much. Especially with interpretation and phrasing. (Phrasing is why I mention horns).

Good point MDEW

#11 2014-11-30 18:49:47

Owen Korzec
TMV Forum Member
Website

IamHo see if you can take some music theory courses it will resolve a lot of confusion

#12 2014-11-30 19:10:16

geno
TMV Forum Member

IamHo wrote:

Does pitch mean the "note" or the frequency which is "volume"? I'm so confuse... please clarify...

Pitch is the Frequency (or note).  It is not volume.  Volume is how loud or soft.

#13 2014-12-02 01:39:28

Steven Fraser
Charter Member of TMV Voice Council

It means singing in tune with the prevailing tonality of the song.

Last edited by Steven Fraser (2014-12-02 01:41:15)

Best Regards,

Steven Fraser

#14 2014-12-02 06:38:27

Robert Lunte
TMV World Forum - Founder
Website

To sing on "Pitch" is to match the frequency of the note. A note can play on any frequency... when your voice is matching that frequency, you are "on pitch". Roughly speaking, "Pitch" and "frequency" are synonymous.

#15 2014-12-02 22:00:02

GSoul82
TMV Forum Member

People will often change the key for a few reasons. For example, say there's a song somebody wants to cover, but while singing along with the original song, it's hard to match the exact notes that the artist is hitting. For their cover, they would change the key to something lower, so that it would be easier to sing.

As for pitch, say you're sitting at a piano. You press one of the C keys, and the sound rings out. You then try to hit that C note with your voice, but it's not exactly right. Something is off. You then try to double-check to see whether or not you properly hit that note by hitting the C key again, and just as you thought, it doesn't sound quite like the sound you made. You end up hitting the key just below that, the B key, and it turns out that the note you hit with your voice was a B instead of C. Your pitch was off. In this case, your pitch was off. More specifically, you were "flat", because you hit the note below the one you were supposed to hit. Had your voice hit a note above the C, you would have been "sharp".

OTHER TMV WEB SITES: TMV RECOMMENDS: TMV RECOMMENDS: TMV RECOMMENDS:

Adverts

Board footer