TMV Partners

You are not logged in.

Announcement

GO HERE: www.TheModernVocalistWorld.com

ATTENTION TMV WORLD FORUM MEMBERS! YOU NEED TO GO LOGIN AND/OR REGISTER AT THE NEW AND IMPROVED TMV WORLD FORUM SYSTEM.

CLICK THIS LINK TO GO TO THE NEW FORUM. WHEN YOU ARRIVE AT THE NEW FORUM, LOGIN OR REGISTER AND THEN CLICK ON "GETTING STARTED". ALL OF THE POSTS AND TOPICS HAVE BEEN MIGRATED OVER AND EXISTING MEMBERS WILL BE LINKED BACK TO ALL THEIR POSTS IN THE NEW SYSTEM AFTER YOU LOGIN.

www.TheModernVocalistWorld.com

IF YOU ARE A NEW VISITOR THAT JUST JOINED US, YOU ARE INVITED TO COME OVER TO OUR NEW FORUM SYSTEM. CLICK THIS LINK TO GO THERE AND REGISTER.

www.TheModernVocalistWorld.com

Adverts

#1 2014-11-30 04:31:28

OldPainless
TMV Forum Member
Me singing "Faithfully" by Journey

https://soundcloud.com/hordurar/faithfu … rney-cover

I learned one thing while recording... This is one hard song :lol:

One day I'll master it... One day :rolleyes:

Last edited by OldPainless (2014-11-30 04:31:42)

2014-11-30 04:31:28

AdBot
Advertisements

#2 2014-11-30 05:25:42

m.i.r.
TMV Forum Member
Re: Me singing "Faithfully" by Journey

Sweet cover man. Your tone and timber is pretty sweet, i like it. I like the very slight distortion in your normal voice, and those few notes where you had some fairly heavy distortion, it had some pretty sweet texture to it. I guess the only thing i could say is where you would sing high and clean tone, it sounds like you were straining a bit. So maybe look into little more support possibly. Make sure you arent constricting the folds to make up for any lack of support. May help with building little bigger vibrato if you wanted that. Honestly you sounded much more free when you were distorting your tone. Anyways, dont take anything i say as negative, because overall it was pretty sweet see my raves in the beginning lol.

Last edited by m.i.r. (2014-11-30 05:27:16)

#3 2014-11-30 11:28:25

aravindmadis
TMV Forum Member

Sounded really good.. Surely you are kidding when you say "one day you will master the song"... Very different from Steve's version and very good..

#4 2014-11-30 12:51:04

Clint Torres
TMV Forum Member

I like the fact that it was a little different from the usual Journey attempts. Everyone tries to sound like Steve Perry but you kind of did your own thing altering the melody/lines a little. I thought you sounded great and I really enjoyed it. As  listener I would say yea man....I want to hear some more.  If I were a singing coach or a judge, judging you against other good singers then there are small nit picky things I would bring up.  Not critiques mind you but possible ways to make the song even better. But then again, I'm not a coach :D

M.I.R, in the post above mentioned sounding strained on the higher notes. I didn't exactly feel the same way but I did feel like I wanted the notes to be a little rounder or full. I'm having trouble describing it. Granted, I couldn't do what you did and I know that it is difficult, but the notes up top were just a touch thin or something. Still good but a little more fullness (more chest maybe) would fill it out more and possibly make it even better.

The only other thing I noticed was the word forever.  "I'm forever yours."  Each time you are saying  ferever.   You seem to be pronouncing it with an er sound.  I think it would fill the sound out more by using  a rounder or as in oar or the word or.     

That is all.  And even if you do nothing it was a really good job.

#5 2014-11-30 13:25:22

OldPainless
TMV Forum Member

Thanks for the kind comments, guys! You raise some very good points :)

About the pronunciation, I'll do my best to fix it! English isn't my first language so there's usually at least one word I mess up in each song, haha.

@aravindmadis, I mean, I'm pretty happy with how it turned out, but this here is what I would call having mastered the song: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0w0RTkWO4XQ

#6 2014-11-30 14:13:37

Enander
TMV Forum Member

You have something most people lack: a very distinct, cool sound!
I'm totally serious when I say you could and should join a skilled pop band and start touring, because it's people with such a unique sound as you that get famous and loads of people trying to emulate his/hers sound.

#7 2014-11-30 14:55:59

ronws
TMV Forum Member

OldPainless wrote:

Thanks for the kind comments, guys! You raise some very good points :)

About the pronunciation, I'll do my best to fix it! English isn't my first language so there's usually at least one word I mess up in each song, haha.

@aravindmadis, I mean, I'm pretty happy with how it turned out, but this here is what I would call having mastered the song: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0w0RTkWO4XQ

Cool link, Old. And that guy sounds like a carbon copy of Steve, although, live, more often than not, it is actually Deen singing it.

Anyway, point being, great, so there's a guy that sounds just like him and we will all ascribe it to hard work and the special magic pill technique.

Whereas, I happen to like your version equally as much as the original. Yours is more like a heavy metal ballad sense of styling, which I think is cool.

There is nothing wrong with having a sound similar to someone else. My wife and a handful of others think I sometimes sound like Glenn Hughes. My father-in-law thought I sounded like Lukah Bloom (irish contemporary and folk singer.) I don't think I sound like either. Which doesn't have to stop us from working on a song for which we are nominally not a match, voice-wise. For example, I did "Jaded" by Aerosmith as a lark, not intending to share, just grins and giggles. Well, I can technically sing the song and certainly cleaner than Steven Tyler, and that song is one of his attempts at clean balladic singing, I am still not happy with my tonality. So, I am going to mess with it some more, even if I have to turn it into country swing, to "get it into my voice."

And I think that is what you did here with "Faithfully." I am willing to bet you didn't strain even a nostril hair to do this. You sang from the center of your voice, with your feeling, and that is what counts. I am not all that interested in what I would call cut-throat karaoke, where you are penalized or chastised for failing to sound like a carbon copy of the original. What if you had? Great, you can then join this Keith guy in relative obscurity. He sounds more like Perry than Pineda does. But of the two, who is an actual member of Journey? Nothing against this guy, nothing against Pineda, just saying, sounding like a carbon copy is not all there is. But carrying the meaning of the music forth, that is what counts, and I think you did that with your version. If I had to pick a sound, it might be similar to White Lion, say, though, don't hold me to that.

"When the daylight is rising up in my eyes ..." - Klaus Meine

#8 2014-11-30 16:59:38

Gneetapp
TMV Forum Member

Dude! AWESOME tone! I really liked your version because you made it your own, without copying Steve. And I agree with Enander about you having a distinct cool sound. Keep'em coming! :cool:

#9 2014-11-30 18:48:57

m.i.r.
TMV Forum Member

Maybe clint described it better, just a little more round at places. But dud whenever you are pulling straws and talking about roundness, that means you are pretty bad ass man lol. I always try to find the tiny things no matter how awesome a performance is, that is the way i like to be critiqued so i try to pass it along. But let me re list the main points, bad ass performance, awesome tone, also really liked your style of break up/distortion. So uh next song please lol

#10 2014-11-30 19:38:44

Jens
TMV Forum Member

wow really good, your voice is hauntingly similar to the singer in protest the hero!

are you sure this is not you? ;)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TUwWbbw-8AM

OTHER TMV WEB SITES: TMV RECOMMENDS: TMV RECOMMENDS: TMV RECOMMENDS:

Adverts

Board footer