TMV Partners

You are not logged in.

Announcement

GO HERE: www.TheModernVocalistWorld.com

ATTENTION TMV WORLD FORUM MEMBERS! YOU NEED TO GO LOGIN AND/OR REGISTER AT THE NEW AND IMPROVED TMV WORLD FORUM SYSTEM.

CLICK THIS LINK TO GO TO THE NEW FORUM. WHEN YOU ARRIVE AT THE NEW FORUM, LOGIN OR REGISTER AND THEN CLICK ON "GETTING STARTED". ALL OF THE POSTS AND TOPICS HAVE BEEN MIGRATED OVER AND EXISTING MEMBERS WILL BE LINKED BACK TO ALL THEIR POSTS IN THE NEW SYSTEM AFTER YOU LOGIN.

www.TheModernVocalistWorld.com

IF YOU ARE A NEW VISITOR THAT JUST JOINED US, YOU ARE INVITED TO COME OVER TO OUR NEW FORUM SYSTEM. CLICK THIS LINK TO GO THERE AND REGISTER.

www.TheModernVocalistWorld.com

Adverts

#1 2014-07-22 11:14:58

Cezaril
TMV Forum Member
How to sing like Hansi Kursch?

Hey guys, have big question here. Does anyone know what technique he uses? Is it a heavy rasp or screaming with a tone and how do to it? Any answer would be helpfull.

2014-07-22 11:14:58

AdBot
Advertisements

#2 2014-07-22 13:17:14

Khassera
TMV Forum Member
Re: How to sing like Hansi Kursch?

Please read this with thought, and then decide if you want to sing like he does.

http://www.modernvocaltraining.com/hansikursch.htm

"'Means are many' said the hag as she wiped the table with a cat."

#3 2014-07-22 13:34:39

Cezaril
TMV Forum Member

I've read that some time ago and I decided to sing like him even earlier. :P But this interview hasn't got any specific information about his technique. Are you trying to point me some disadvantages or something?

#4 2014-07-22 17:00:03

Cezaril
TMV Forum Member

Technique - Maybe I used a wrong term (and not a native speaker, sorry). To be more clearly: How to sing like in this song? What exercises should I do to reach similar sound? etc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i6OXS9YRpCs

Last edited by Cezaril (2014-07-22 17:01:52)

#5 2014-07-23 01:00:24

ronws
TMV Forum Member

Phil Moufarrege wrote:

It's like golf.  It's not "tiger woods technique" its golf technique that is taught and applied properly.

The most awesome statement in a while. Bravo, Phil.

It should be a bumper sticker.

"When the daylight is rising up in my eyes ..." - Klaus Meine

#6 2014-11-17 12:15:35

DJDeth
TMV Forum Member

Aaaah guys, c'mon. The man is looking for some tips for a specific kind of sound, asks for them on a vocal technique forum, and the answer he gets is: "learn how to sing, and then you'll be able to do it" ?

Why not ending all the threads on this forum with such a statement?

#7 2014-11-17 18:00:24

David_kylie
TMV Forum Member

DJDeth wrote:

Aaaah guys, c'mon. The man is looking for some tips for a specific kind of sound, asks for them on a vocal technique forum, and the answer he gets is: "learn how to sing, and then you'll be able to do it" ?

Why not ending all the threads on this forum with such a statement?

Kinda agree with this

#8 2014-11-17 18:28:48

FelipeCarvalho
TMV Forum Member
Website

Well not all threads on these forums are about singing like this or that person, but I agree too that a lot of them could be closed/ended in a similar way. No content, just chit chat.

Last edited by FelipeCarvalho (2014-11-17 18:29:25)

#9 2014-11-17 19:50:59

ronws
TMV Forum Member

I do think DJ made a good point. However, I have also seen a number of Phil's posts and explanation videos on various topics and he actually made one around this particular point. And Phil obviously has good technique and learned it from somewhere.

In Phil's video, he mentioned there are probably a few singers that have sounds he finds admirable. And the way that he learned from them was to, of course, listen to plenty of samples from the artist of interest. And then here is the important part. When you aim to mimick the sound of the singer that you like, don't try to sing a whole song or album worth at one shot. Pick a song that you can do. Then, break that song down into phrases. Work on just one phrase. Wear it out like an old pair of slippers. Work each phrase singly, then, later, put it together.

To that, I would add that each voice is different and sounds of distortion are going to possibly sound different. I know some people will disagree with me on that. But Robert Lunte has also said as much. That the total distortion sound of a voice, as it were (I am paraphrasing) can be different for each voice.

So, while the o.p. can learn good technique and even follow Phil's idea of absorption of a sound and concentration in small doses, the overall effect may not be a complete match, though it may be close.

Last edited by ronws (2014-11-17 19:54:01)

"When the daylight is rising up in my eyes ..." - Klaus Meine

#10 2014-11-17 19:57:20

Danielformica
TMV Forum Member
Website

if you are looking for some ways to get rasp you could check out my 14 days to rock vocal mastery tutorial on my website just go to the store page and download it. it will give you some ideas on how to get different types of rasp and distortion. In order to get better at singing aggressive you will need to sharpen your basic vocal technique though

DANIEL
WWW.YOURVOCALTEACHER.COM
WWW.DANIELFORMICAVOCALSTUDIO.COM
www.soundcloud.com/daniel-formica

Disclaimer-Anything I write or try to help people with on here are techniques and things that have worked for ME.  They are not necessarily" right" or "wrong" but have worked for ME and my 20+ yrs as a professional working
singer.
Thank you

#11 2014-11-17 22:30:46

VIDEOHERE
Administrator

i have to chime here and tell you all of these folks are dead on....you have to establish a solid foundation first.

dj,
it's not "learn how to sing and then you'll be able to it"  it's learn first how to sing cleanly and then you're set to learn how to do it.

you can't skip steps...if you do, you will find you will take longer to get it and you may potentially blow your voice out. you want to able to it, and be able to do it night after night....

#12 2014-11-17 23:57:36

DJDeth
TMV Forum Member

Ron, I haven't seen Phils videos, but from what you wrote they make a lot of sense.

Videohere, we can't be talking about skipping steps here if we don't even know at which step Cezaril is now. Maybe he already can sing this stuff clean, just doesn't know how to add the rasp. Or maybe he can't get to the higher part of the voice at all? Or he can do both, but doesn't like the kind of rasp he developed?

Cezaril, this kind of sound is difficult to find, you have to 'stumble upon it' , and then learn to control it. I was able to find a similar tone experimenting on an isolated note, and when I've found it, I tried to do the same on other notes. Singing a phrase in the beginning was very difficult, as my larynx had a tendency to suddenly jump up causing drastic tone change. Luckily, one can overcome such technical difficulties with time.

Now answering your question: few things that one have to keep in mind when trying to sing songs like this with similar effect as Hansi are:

- it's not really screaming, it's a head voice tone with lots of rasp
- consequently, don't scream on top of your lungs, but rather try to keep the feeling of holding the air back
- to do this, you need to know how to use your diaphragm and have a lot of strenght in it, because the notes need a hell lot of support (that's why Hansi doesn't sing this song live the same way - instead he sings 90% of the high parts one octave lower and he goes to the screams only in the crucial moments like the beginning of the chorus)
- the tone itself is very light - the illusion of power comes from the rasp that he ads on top of the clean voice.
- the rasp he uses comes from a very high place in the vocal tract. It makes it sound less 'gargly', less ADCD-like, and more like small grained sand (at least when we're talking about the high screams, because he uses different kinds of rasp in different parts of the voice and sometimes mixes them). The important part is that it shouldn't hurt at any point.
- the larynx stays in a relatively low position, it should be 'anchored' so it doesn't jump up when you go high in pitch.
- keep the soft palate up like when you're yawning

It may seem to be a lot to remember, but the most important thing is the breath support. When you let go of it in the middle of a phrase, it can hurt:)

Keep in mind I'm not an expert, but this works good for me.

#13 2014-11-23 17:21:02

DJDeth
TMV Forum Member

It sounds like this when I apply it:
https://app.box.com/s/xxjs6p9k7rfdxuivgpyv

OTHER TMV WEB SITES: TMV RECOMMENDS: TMV RECOMMENDS: TMV RECOMMENDS:

Adverts

Board footer