TMV Partners

You are not logged in.

Announcement

GO HERE: www.TheModernVocalistWorld.com

ATTENTION TMV WORLD FORUM MEMBERS! YOU NEED TO GO LOGIN AND/OR REGISTER AT THE NEW AND IMPROVED TMV WORLD FORUM SYSTEM.

CLICK THIS LINK TO GO TO THE NEW FORUM. WHEN YOU ARRIVE AT THE NEW FORUM, LOGIN OR REGISTER AND THEN CLICK ON "GETTING STARTED". ALL OF THE POSTS AND TOPICS HAVE BEEN MIGRATED OVER AND EXISTING MEMBERS WILL BE LINKED BACK TO ALL THEIR POSTS IN THE NEW SYSTEM AFTER YOU LOGIN.

www.TheModernVocalistWorld.com

IF YOU ARE A NEW VISITOR THAT JUST JOINED US, YOU ARE INVITED TO COME OVER TO OUR NEW FORUM SYSTEM. CLICK THIS LINK TO GO THERE AND REGISTER.

www.TheModernVocalistWorld.com

Adverts

#1 2014-06-13 22:28:34

Bzean123
TMV Forum Member
PSA: VOcal Recording

I posted this in the recording area three weeks ago and so far its gotten 50 views. Guess people don't go into that area much, so decided to repost it here in the event anyone is interested.

Berklee is offering a course in the recording of vocals that can be audited for free! I have little experience recording and have found it to be full of great info. The link is here:

https://www.edx.org/course/berkleex/ber … 3zlRfl5M6x

Here is a sample lecture for you to check out if interested:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0urF9ybpPw8#t=159

2014-06-13 22:28:34

AdBot
Advertisements

#2 2014-06-15 11:24:36

ronws
TMV Forum Member

Re: PSA: VOcal Recording

The whole course or just the tidbits, like the tute on some eq strategies? Do you have to join and pay a fee to browse the catalog?

"When the daylight is rising up in my eyes ..." - Klaus Meine

#3 2014-06-15 12:25:25

geno
TMV Forum Member

The EQ video was nicely done.  All indications are that it is free.  All you have to do is register.  If you want the certificate of achievement, you have to pay.  I'm going to check it out further.

Last edited by geno (2014-06-15 12:28:45)

#4 2014-06-15 12:54:00

FelipeCarvalho
TMV Forum Member
Website

Errr sorry but eq'ing vocals based on equal loudness is kind of pointless.

I think the explanation on the perception of loudness is really valuable but it does not apply so easily. A lot of times you will be cutting low end, a lot of times the 3/4K area is exactly what will make the voice stay on top of a mix. I think it pays much more to understand what each frequency area will affect and what can you do about it with eq or multiband compression.

And if we aim for a natural/ballanced sound we got to remember that in the real world there is no eq processing from the source to our ears, its the room reverb that takes care of it.

#5 2014-06-15 14:36:16

Lobster510
TMV Forum Member

You need to Eq vocals, just like you'd Eq anything, so that they don't occupy the same harmonic range or spectrum as the other instruments. Harmonics are like minuses in maths, two of the same cancel eachother out, when you're at a live amateur gig if the two guitars have similar sounds, the sound becomes muddy, so they have to be tweaked so that they don't occupy the same frequencies. That's one of the tricks to mixing.

I think the explanation on the perception of loudness is really valuable but it does not apply so easily. A lot of times you will be cutting low end, a lot of times the 3/4K area is exactly what will make the voice stay on top of a mix. I think it pays much more to understand what each frequency area will affect and what can you do about it with eq or multiband compression.

Also true!

Last edited by Lobster510 (2014-06-15 14:38:18)

#6 2014-06-15 15:21:39

geno
TMV Forum Member

I'm going through the course right now.  The EQ video is just one of many instructional videos - the course goes way beyond.  The material may be elementary for some, and new to others.  If you are interested in recording vocals this is a good overview.  Time based effects, Microphones / patterns, Doubling, HAAS effect, etc.  (you can practically skip the beginning part on singing).  I think it is pretty good so far.  I've already picked up some new things and a good refresher for other things.  All you have to do is register.  It is free and is professionally done.

#7 2014-06-15 18:15:35

Bzean123
TMV Forum Member

As Geno says, there is a lot of stuff in the course. As a newb to recording I am finding it very valuable.

Below is info on the teacher. Dude knows what he's talking about.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prince_Charles_Alexander

Also, if you are interested in such things, search Coursera and EdX for other free music courses that run periodically. I've done courses in songwriting, jazz and rock history, jazz improv and several classical music courses. They are all worth the time and effort.

#8 2014-06-16 00:40:23

ronws
TMV Forum Member

I actually gained a lot of insight from the vid on EQ. So, I registered to audit the course. Absolutely nothing wrong with learning from a pro with real and verifiable creds from an accredited and recognized university. And I have already caught up to date. Such as natural doubling with stereo mic placement. What all the time-based effects really mean.

Absolutely wonderful is the section on finding the key the singer should sing in. Reminds me of when MDEW gave me great advice on how to arrange "Sunday Morning." Just because I can sing high and loud does not mean I should do that on every song. It's about finding the right sound for the performance, and ergo, the recording.

And the prof actually has publishing creds to his name. By that, I mean, listed as producer on released recordings for sale in the market place. Not just a self-defined expert but someone who has earned his paycheck by the very skills he teaches. Thanks, Bzean.

#9 2014-06-16 01:19:32

Owen Korzec
TMV Forum Member
Website

Just registered. Most of it is going to be rather elementary to me but I'm sure I'll still learn something from it. Especially since that EQ video alone provided me with some new and helpful information.

Very interesting that this is free.

Btw Ron, every professor at Berklee has that similar kind of credibility, I think it is required of them. However, there is a flip side to this. Real world experience and credibility doesn't automatically make one a good teacher.

Last edited by Owen Korzec (2014-06-16 01:21:02)

#10 2014-06-16 18:30:32

Bzean123
TMV Forum Member

ronws wrote:

I actually gained a lot of insight from the vid on EQ. So, I registered to audit the course. Absolutely nothing wrong with learning from a pro with real and verifiable creds from an accredited and recognized university. And I have already caught up to date. Such as natural doubling with stereo mic placement. What all the time-based effects really mean.

Absolutely wonderful is the section on finding the key the singer should sing in. Reminds me of when MDEW gave me great advice on how to arrange "Sunday Morning." Just because I can sing high and loud does not mean I should do that on every song. It's about finding the right sound for the performance, and ergo, the recording.

And the prof actually has publishing creds to his name. By that, I mean, listed as producer on released recordings for sale in the market place. Not just a self-defined expert but someone who has earned his paycheck by the very skills he teaches. Thanks, Bzean.

Cool Ron. Glad you are able to make use of it.

#11 2014-11-11 01:55:25

Bzean123
TMV Forum Member

FYI recordists: this course is running again.  It started today, if you want to check it out.

Last time it ran I didn't have any recording equipment, so I only watched the videos and still learned a crapload. I just recently got myself a little interface, so this time around I will follow along and make some recordings of the teacher's lessons. Gonna be a great learning experience!

#12 2014-11-18 20:45:44

Marcus
TMV Forum Member

Thank you for posting this! Great stuff! I'm definitely signing up!

#13 2014-11-18 23:34:43

VIDEOHERE
Administrator

hey folks,

be sure you read the "terms of service" section thoroughly.

nothing this good is going to be without some kind of financial commitment. i did, and i backed off.

#14 2014-11-20 16:26:35

Bzean123
TMV Forum Member

VIDEOHERE wrote:

hey folks,

be sure you read the "terms of service" section thoroughly.

nothing this good is going to be without some kind of financial commitment. i did, and i backed off.

VIDEOHERE,

Perhaps you should take another look. There is an option to pay and there is also a completely free option (the 'Audit' option) which allows you to view all the videos and do the quizzes.

#15 2014-11-20 18:27:28

ronws
TMV Forum Member

I did the audit option.

#16 2014-11-20 19:59:38

VIDEOHERE
Administrator

bzean, be my guest. let me know the outcome.

#17 2014-11-20 22:01:51

Marcus
TMV Forum Member

I also chose to audit the course. Haven't paid anything, getting access to all course material. I don't really see what's fishy about it. If people like it I guess they will be more inclined to pay for other courses further on.

OTHER TMV WEB SITES: TMV RECOMMENDS: TMV RECOMMENDS: TMV RECOMMENDS:

Adverts

Board footer