TMV Partners

You are not logged in.

Announcement

GO HERE: www.TheModernVocalistWorld.com

ATTENTION TMV WORLD FORUM MEMBERS! YOU NEED TO GO LOGIN AND/OR REGISTER AT THE NEW AND IMPROVED TMV WORLD FORUM SYSTEM.

CLICK THIS LINK TO GO TO THE NEW FORUM. WHEN YOU ARRIVE AT THE NEW FORUM, LOGIN OR REGISTER AND THEN CLICK ON "GETTING STARTED". ALL OF THE POSTS AND TOPICS HAVE BEEN MIGRATED OVER AND EXISTING MEMBERS WILL BE LINKED BACK TO ALL THEIR POSTS IN THE NEW SYSTEM AFTER YOU LOGIN.

www.TheModernVocalistWorld.com

IF YOU ARE A NEW VISITOR THAT JUST JOINED US, YOU ARE INVITED TO COME OVER TO OUR NEW FORUM SYSTEM. CLICK THIS LINK TO GO THERE AND REGISTER.

www.TheModernVocalistWorld.com

Adverts

#1 2012-10-07 19:09:44

Vocalisha
TMV Forum Member

Good advice about a wireless mic?

Hi everyone,

I'm new here on the Modern Vocalist Forum, and I have a question. I want to buy a wireless mic, but it's hard to find a good one. It has to be a dynamic mic, because I'm gonna use it in a rockband. I don't want it to be a Shure SM58 or Beta58, because they don't sound good with my voice.

So, can you please give me some good advice?

Thanks!

2012-10-07 19:09:44

AdBot
Advertisements

#2 2012-10-08 18:02:01

Adolph Namlik
Executive Director, The Modern Vocalist World

Re: Good advice about a wireless mic?

Vocalisha,

If your looking for a WIRELESS mic/system, check this out >>> http://www.americanmusical.com/Item--i-SAM-SW7AVSHX-N1

In addition to the included microphone, the Samson AirLine system also allows you to use ANY dynamic mic of your choice.

If you search through the "Microphone" section of the forum you will see Robert Lunte's review of this system (which he uses in his studio), and of course my comments.....

I've had my Samson system for quite awhile now and have encountered ZERO problems. I highly recommend it !

Incidentally, here are my alternatives to the Shure SM58 and the Shure Beta58 :

Rode M1
E/V ND767a
E/V PL80

and my most recent purchase :

Sennheiser e945

Keep in mind that everyone's voice is different, so what may suit my voice may not suit yours....
Check out various mics if possible. Yes, I know it's difficult in some places due to health concerns.

Regards,
Adolph

Last edited by Adolph Namlik (2012-10-08 18:44:01)

Adolph C. Namlik
Executive Director ~ The Modern Vocalist World
Western N.Y.
adolph@themodernvocalist.com
http://www.themodernvocalist.com/profile/AdolphNamlik
Email : chief188@hughes.net
716~257~9606
"My Life's A Stage"

#3 2012-10-08 20:28:02

Vocalisha
TMV Forum Member

Hi Adolph!

Thanks for your reply. I'm going to check it out. It seems like the dream of every singer to be able to use your favorite mic wireless.
Great!

Regards,

Vocalisha

#4 2012-10-09 06:15:10

TimmyP1955
TMV Forum Member

The best of the Line 6 sound good.  As do the Sennheisers.  A Shure with an SM86 capsule might be good - seems that those who have heard them like them a lot better than Shure's other capsules (I've not heard one).

What ever you get, turn down the transmitter gain so it doesn't clip when you belt it out.

#5 2012-10-09 20:23:17

Adolph Namlik
Executive Director, The Modern Vocalist World

You're most welcome, Vocalisha.

Other companies (I can't recall which ones at the moment ?), make similar systems as well, although I still can't understand why the transmitter is designed more like one of those bulky batteries on a cordless drill ??? :rolleyes:  (They are also more expensive). I mentioned this design in a previous post, and to this day I have to believe that there are "balancing issues".... The Samson transmitter, as you may have noticed is streamlined and very lightweight.

I believe you would be very satisfied with the Samson system particularly after you decide on the mic(s) that suit your voice.

If and when you make your purchases, I'd be interested in your what you think of the "system". Feel free to drop me a line anytime....

BTW ---- Have you joined The Modern Vocalist World's (Main) Social Network site ??? It's "loaded" with tons of information >>> Product Reviews, Articles, Interviews, and much more !!!

Warmest Regards,
Adolph

Adolph C. Namlik
Executive Director ~ The Modern Vocalist World
Western N.Y.
adolph@themodernvocalist.com
http://www.themodernvocalist.com/profile/AdolphNamlik
Email : chief188@hughes.net
716~257~9606
"My Life's A Stage"

#6 2012-10-13 08:32:52

TimmyP1955
TMV Forum Member

I forgot to mention: If going wireless will really add to your show, OK.  If not, don't - you have to spend real money to approach the quality of the same capsule on a wired mic.

Last edited by TimmyP1955 (2012-10-20 05:59:25)

#7 2012-10-13 13:38:35

Keith
TMV Forum Member
Website

If you are planning on recording with a wireless, then you are going to need some other toys also. You are going to need one hell of a nice gate- or the mic will pick up the sound of you breathing. Also, a graph and a compressor. Ultimately, the pre amp in whatever mixing console is going to control the sound of your voice. Example, I have an old 80's Yamaha mixing board. My voice sounds like garbage no matter what mic I use. I also have a Mackie 34X8. My voice sounds great no matter what mic I use. My point is, that maybe it's a mic preamp that is causing your voice to not sound right with the sure mics.

#8 2012-10-13 13:58:45

ronws
TMV Forum Member

I learn something new every day. Thanks, Keith.

I mean, I know that different equipment provides different sound quality. But I never think much about the rest of the equipment chain and you're right, that's going to be just as important. I have a Fame CM-1 Condenser Studio mic and it is good for a lot of things but it cannot handle the volume I create with my voice.

After recommendations from, of all people, a salesman at Guitar Center, I went on ebay and got a Sennheiser e835. It's an honest to goodness stage mic and handles light, bright singers like me, quite well.

But what I am recording into is the next step and just as likely to produce problems. I have a Guitarface II USB interface. And I don't have a fancy sound card, just what is available onboard the motherboard. On a computer that was built in 2005 out of parts that were spare parts, back then. A 40 G hd with a bad sector partitioned off. I think the microprocessor is 330 MHz. It moves at the speed of glaciers.

And I record with Audacity which has lackluster latency performance. So, when I sing against a track, I have one headphone off the left ear, playback panned hard right. It's almost a "live monitor" situation. And I do that because of where I am recording from, I have reflective surfaces closer to my left than to my right, that way, I can avoid room presence.

Then, I rely on the magical skills of you, Keith, to post-edit and rescue, against herculean odds, what it is that I have recorded.

About the only time I mix any more is if I am recording "live," as in, singing and playing guitar at the same time. Then it doesn't matter. Whatever effect is applied to the whole thing.

"When the daylight is rising up in my eyes ..." - Klaus Meine

#9 2012-10-20 06:01:46

TimmyP1955
TMV Forum Member

Keith wrote:

If you are planning on recording with a wireless, then you are going to need some other toys also. You are going to need one hell of a nice gate- or the mic will pick up the sound of you breathing. Also, a graph and a compressor.

A wireless won't pick up a singer's breathing any more than a wired mic.

Gates are seldom effective on vocals, live or in the studio (for different reasons).

#10 2012-10-21 15:25:40

Marcus
TMV Forum Member

I've used wireless Shure Beta58 extensively for live shows, always sounded well with my voice (but I've also had nice technicians handling the sound). Tried some other live mics, wired ones though, like the Shure SM58 and the EV ND767a. I don't like the sound of the EV at all, and I know a lot of people praise that microphone like crazy. But yeah, the voice is such a individual instrument.

I just ordered one wired Beta58 for band practice (don't own the wireless system, it was the company I worked for, or the hotels I worked at, that owned them). Would sure like to have a wireless system myself, but it's about 3 times the money. If I start to have a lot of gigs with my band I'll think about investing in a wireless system. I'd go for the Shure Beta 58, since that's what I've been using and had good results with it.

#11 2012-10-21 20:21:35

Vocalisha
TMV Forum Member

Thanks for all your help! I found out that you can also buy a wireless system and put on another capsule. So I'm going to try the Heil RC-22 in a few days, to hear if it suits my voice. How do you think about these capsules and especially the Heil? In Holland, where I live, the Heil mics aren't very well known and there are only a few dealers here who sell them. I'm very curious about your opinion!

I'm certainly not going to use the mic in the studio, because I have a really good condenser mic for recordings. I will only use the wireless mic on stage in a band setting. And for the acoustic gigs I always use my Neumann KMS 105, which works really great with my voice.

Thanks again for your replies!

#12 2012-10-22 05:33:10

TimmyP1955
TMV Forum Member

Like the KMS105, the PR22 sounds better than most, and picks up more unwanted crap than most.  I wanted to love it, but found it to be of little use.

#13 2012-11-22 00:34:24

lorenzo
TMV Forum Member

Hello, Vocalisha!
Wellcome! I'm new here too, but I'll try to add something to the conversation...
I think the more affordable and smarter option is, in fact, the Samson AirLine 77, suggested by Adolph Namlik.
But... If you're looking for something high end (read: expensive), take a look at the Sennheiser SKM-2000 (http://www.sennheiser.com.au/au/home_en … ies_021735). Furthermore, you can change its capsules (like you want). For the capsule, I suggest MMD 935 (used by P!nk).
This mic is the top of the moment. It is used by most of the best pop artists, such as: P!nk, Rihanna, Beyoncé, etc. Not to mention that is used on the best "singer shows", like: "The Voice UK", "The Voice US", "American Idol", "X-Factor"...

#14 2012-11-25 04:14:22

Scotty D
TMV Forum Member

Vocalisha wrote:

Thanks for all your help! I found out that you can also buy a wireless system and put on another capsule. So I'm going to try the Heil RC-22 in a few days, to hear if it suits my voice. How do you think about these capsules and especially the Heil? In Holland, where I live, the Heil mics aren't very well known and there are only a few dealers here who sell them. I'm very curious about your opinion!

I'm certainly not going to use the mic in the studio, because I have a really good condenser mic for recordings. I will only use the wireless mic on stage in a band setting. And for the acoustic gigs I always use my Neumann KMS 105, which works really great with my voice.

Thanks again for your replies!

I've been using the Heil capsule with a Line 6 wireless system for over a year now and it has worked flawlessly. The Heil capsule sounds amazing.  I've received numerous compliments from the guys running house sound.

#15 2012-11-29 22:53:38

Vocalisha
TMV Forum Member

lorenzo wrote:

Hello, Vocalisha!
Wellcome! I'm new here too, but I'll try to add something to the conversation...
I think the more affordable and smarter option is, in fact, the Samson AirLine 77, suggested by Adolph Namlik.
But... If you're looking for something high end (read: expensive), take a look at the Sennheiser SKM-2000 (http://www.sennheiser.com.au/au/home_en … ies_021735). Furthermore, you can change its capsules (like you want). For the capsule, I suggest MMD 935 (used by P!nk).
This mic is the top of the moment. It is used by most of the best pop artists, such as: P!nk, Rihanna, Beyoncé, etc. Not to mention that is used on the best "singer shows", like: "The Voice UK", "The Voice US", "American Idol", "X-Factor"...

Thanks! I'm considering a Sennheiser system, but the SKM2000 serie is too expensive for me at the moment. I was looking at the EW 500 serie. What do you think about this system? And what is the significant difference between EW500 and for instance an EW 135 G3?

Could it be that the more expensive systems are only used in big productions on a huge stage with a lot of signals going on from the many wireless mics and in-ear systems at the same time? I mean, the quality of the mic and the system can be the same, but the expensive ones can handle a lot of signals.

When I'm on stage there will only be two wireless mics at the sime time...

#16 2012-12-19 22:10:27

Vocalisha
TMV Forum Member

Hi everyone!

In my search for a wireless microphone, I also heard about the digital wireless systems. Who can tell me something about those systems and is it much better (or worse) than a normal system? And what is the difference?

Vocalisha

#17 2012-12-23 03:36:43

TimmyP1955
TMV Forum Member

The Shure ULX-D seems promising, though I've not used it on a show.  The automatic transmitter gain setting is a great feature, as few folks set them rightly on other wireless units.  I'd go with the SM86 capsule on a Shure.

#18 2012-12-23 13:10:16

ronws
TMV Forum Member

Marcus wrote:

I've used wireless Shure Beta58 extensively for live shows, always sounded well with my voice (but I've also had nice technicians handling the sound). Tried some other live mics, wired ones though, like the Shure SM58 and the EV ND767a. I don't like the sound of the EV at all, and I know a lot of people praise that microphone like crazy. But yeah, the voice is such a individual instrument.

I just ordered one wired Beta58 for band practice (don't own the wireless system, it was the company I worked for, or the hotels I worked at, that owned them). Would sure like to have a wireless system myself, but it's about 3 times the money. If I start to have a lot of gigs with my band I'll think about investing in a wireless system. I'd go for the Shure Beta 58, since that's what I've been using and had good results with it.

Every time I read this thread, I learn something new, and not just about wireless, or even the effects chain. Although, for example, it seems that the next step in my recording set-up is not a new computer or more mics, or even a wireless. But a pre-amp and limiter and usb interface combo.

The interface I have is really more suited for electric guitar and I have a Roland GS-6 (museum piece, really) digital  effects rack mount unit that I can use as a pre-amp for the guitar, jacking straight in.

But the voice is such a unique instrument, capable of such a range of volume and pitch. A tough beast to tame, recording-wise.

And how these different mics, all reviewed and touted as the best and each bragging on similar response ranges, really do sound different on different voices.

Until Bruce Dickinson switched to headset mics, he made a career with the SM58, the battle tank of mics.

Wouldn't it be nice if we could all have time in a studio trying out different mics, at least for recording.

Then, you would need a sound stage to go through the process again, for a live or stage mic.

And a gig bag would have a few mics, depending on the sound of the venue you go to .

#19 2013-02-23 22:30:48

ronws
TMV Forum Member

ceshiwuhao wrote:

OK.  If not, don't - you have to spend real money to approach the quality of the same capsule on a wired mic.

Can you explain that, or what experience you have had that led you to this realization?

#20 2013-03-06 04:38:56

TimmyP1955
TMV Forum Member

ronws wrote:

ceshiwuhao wrote:

OK.  If not, don't - you have to spend real money to approach the quality of the same capsule on a wired mic.

Can you explain that, or what experience you have had that led you to this realization?

Wireless mics don't sound as good as wired mics with the same capsule.  The expensive ones come close, but still not the same.  If one does not get you more money on the gig, go wired.

#21 2014-10-23 18:39:02

Robert Lunte
TMV World Forum - Founder
Website

Hey guys... Here is a list of recommended gear for singers, including microphones that I have compiled through the years... from real experience... Click and download this PDF below.  The products will link out to a custom made Amazon.com store I created that have all these products organized with personal comments regarding them... based on my experience. This private store helps you to get right to the product Im recommending, instead of having to fish around for it.  Or you can just go directly to the store via this link as well. 

http://astore.amazon.com/thevocastudin-20

or

Recommended Vocal Gear from The Vocalist Studio & Robert Lunte:
https://thevocaliststudio.box.com/s/nwz … bqeh2n39l0

OTHER TMV WEB SITES: TMV RECOMMENDS: TMV RECOMMENDS: TMV RECOMMENDS:

Adverts

Board footer