TMV Partners

You are not logged in.

Announcement

GO HERE: www.TheModernVocalistWorld.com

ATTENTION TMV WORLD FORUM MEMBERS! YOU NEED TO GO LOGIN AND/OR REGISTER AT THE NEW AND IMPROVED TMV WORLD FORUM SYSTEM.

CLICK THIS LINK TO GO TO THE NEW FORUM. WHEN YOU ARRIVE AT THE NEW FORUM, LOGIN OR REGISTER AND THEN CLICK ON "GETTING STARTED". ALL OF THE POSTS AND TOPICS HAVE BEEN MIGRATED OVER AND EXISTING MEMBERS WILL BE LINKED BACK TO ALL THEIR POSTS IN THE NEW SYSTEM AFTER YOU LOGIN.

www.TheModernVocalistWorld.com

IF YOU ARE A NEW VISITOR THAT JUST JOINED US, YOU ARE INVITED TO COME OVER TO OUR NEW FORUM SYSTEM. CLICK THIS LINK TO GO THERE AND REGISTER.

www.TheModernVocalistWorld.com

Adverts

#1 2014-03-05 03:47:25

Owen Korzec
TMV Forum Member
Website

Issues in specific part of range, days after screaming at a concert

So I did some screaming when I went to a hardcore concert last thursday, paying no attention to technique.

The day of I lost a bunch of head voice range but it gradually came back the next day, a couple notes per hour. That all seems normal. It has all come back and probably did so entirely within 1 or 2 days.

But now, about five days later I'm still having weird coordination issues in a certain part of my head voice, almost like there's a passaggio within it. Right around G4-A4 (probably the same pitches I was screaming at). It used to be head voice was all one head voice with dynamic flexibility but now it feels like there is a higher portion and a lower portion and they are divided by a slight break at which point the sound is either pretty soft or if I try to get it loud it distorts. It seems like some musculature keeps wanting to abruptly release around that G4-A4 point. I also feel a lack of twang there and a greater ease with darker phonations. And now it's very hard to crescendo from falsetto to head voice in that range now and when I do attempt a more full head voice, when it goes too far below B4 it gets very distorted most of the time.

I doubt it's polyps or anything serious because all the notes are there especially at a low volume. I just wish I knew how to get this head voice coordination back quickly so I can get back to singing with some more power and freedom in that range. Not sure if it's a matter of rest or vocalizing or what. I've been doing a lot of the straw exercise for what it's worth, but also trying to access those louder head voice coordinations again, which has been a messy process full of distortion and flipping, so I'm not sure if that's even worth going after.

Anybody know what could be happening and how to handle it?

Last edited by Owen Korzec (2014-03-05 03:50:02)

2014-03-05 03:47:25

AdBot
Advertisements

#2 2014-03-05 06:15:55

Mivke
TMV Forum Member
Re: Issues in specific part of range, days after screaming at a concert

If I've been to a concert screaming my head off and the voice won't back as it usually does I almost always have some kind of "latent" sickness in me, slight cold or w/e. Then it can take 2-3 weeks until the voice is back fully.
I have NO idea if that's what happened but it could easily be overlooked if you didnt think about it yet.

Cheers, hope it get's solved :)

#3 2014-03-05 16:55:41

Owen Korzec
TMV Forum Member
Website

Mivke wrote:

If I've been to a concert screaming my head off and the voice won't back as it usually does I almost always have some kind of "latent" sickness in me, slight cold or w/e. Then it can take 2-3 weeks until the voice is back fully.
I have NO idea if that's what happened but it could easily be overlooked if you didnt think about it yet.

Cheers, hope it get's solved :)

I don't feel sick at all though. Like 0% sickness. Everything's totally normal except my voice.

#4 2014-03-06 00:34:20

FelipeCarvalho
TMV Forum Member
Website

Doctor and dont force/abuse your voice again.

#5 2014-03-06 05:52:04

Owen Korzec
TMV Forum Member
Website

FelipeCarvalho wrote:

Doctor and dont force/abuse your voice again.

Felipe, if its just an alteration of a couple notes, is it still worth seeing a doctor?

At this point I cant tell if its physical or psychological or both. I just can't do a couple things with my voice the same way that I used to be able to, almost as if some training/coordination/strength got erased in that specific area (g4 to somewhere around a4)

But again, at a soft volume all the notes are available I can slide up and down fine 3+ octaves with no glitches

One thing I also noticed, it almost seems like the problem is less severe in the first maybe 5-10 minutes of a session but then inevitably at some point it becomes a bit more severe.

Anyways I am keeping my hopes high for the healing process, whatever the issue is. And I'm trying my best to follow my intuition to solve it through rest, light vocalizing and mental optimism

#6 2014-03-06 12:14:20

FelipeCarvalho
TMV Forum Member
Website

If you are worried, its worth it Owen.

It can be a healing process, it can be an unballance due to the abuse, and it probably will solve itself with time... But these are chances that you dont need to take, if you can see the doc, its a good idea.

If you dont feel its necessary, take a vocal rest for a few days, no singing, lots of water and sleep well. Its the best that you can do.

#7 2014-03-07 18:16:14

Owen Korzec
TMV Forum Member
Website

Hey guys, so yesterday I took something like 13 hours vocal rest...I still spoke occasionally when necessary but no singing. Then I went to warm up and the head voice was totally normal again.

Pretty sure that did the trick. It felt as if my voice is in good condition but I haven't sang in a while, makes sense. The "gap" if you want to call it that (more like a weak spot) wasn't there anymore. There were still some coordination issues but it's nothing I wouldn't expect after not practicing a particular coordination for a full week (because the weak spot interrupted it). So I think I'm basically fully healed but I am still going easy just in case.

Plus today I woke up with a sore throat...I'm pretty sure it's just an unrelated mild cold because there were nasal symptoms too, but regardless of the cause it's another reason to take it easy for a bit.

But the lesson I learned here is definitely to just avoid vocalizing at or near the weak spot until it heals.

Oh right, and lots of hydration. :)

#8 2014-03-08 01:13:43

ronws
TMV Forum Member

I'm a day late and a dollar short. Dante had it right. You had some inflammation that took longer to heal.

And I agree with Felipe. Don't abuse the voice, again. There are singers. And there are football fans. The twain do not necessarily meet, (sorry, Shakespeare ...)

"When the daylight is rising up in my eyes ..." - Klaus Meine

OTHER TMV WEB SITES: TMV RECOMMENDS: TMV RECOMMENDS: TMV RECOMMENDS:

Adverts

Board footer