TMV Partners

You are not logged in.

Announcement

GO HERE: www.TheModernVocalistWorld.com

ATTENTION TMV WORLD FORUM MEMBERS! YOU NEED TO GO LOGIN AND/OR REGISTER AT THE NEW AND IMPROVED TMV WORLD FORUM SYSTEM.

CLICK THIS LINK TO GO TO THE NEW FORUM. WHEN YOU ARRIVE AT THE NEW FORUM, LOGIN OR REGISTER AND THEN CLICK ON "GETTING STARTED". ALL OF THE POSTS AND TOPICS HAVE BEEN MIGRATED OVER AND EXISTING MEMBERS WILL BE LINKED BACK TO ALL THEIR POSTS IN THE NEW SYSTEM AFTER YOU LOGIN.

www.TheModernVocalistWorld.com

IF YOU ARE A NEW VISITOR THAT JUST JOINED US, YOU ARE INVITED TO COME OVER TO OUR NEW FORUM SYSTEM. CLICK THIS LINK TO GO THERE AND REGISTER.

www.TheModernVocalistWorld.com

Adverts

#1 2013-11-01 06:22:36

Aelpee
TMV Forum Member
The voice is better in the morning, worsens throughout the day?

Hey all! I've had this strange problem for as long as I can remember but I'm kinda interested in hearing if there's maybe something that might explain it. Basically my voice is and feels alot better in the mornings. I can sing my opera head voice/falsetto clearly and the notes come out with nice volume and resonance. Also my speaking voice is clear and almost feels "loud" at times. What I mean is f.ex. when I greet everybody at the office in the morning I almost get scared of my own voice because it comes out so clearly and brightly. It almost feels like I'm using too much effot. :D

Then later in the day that same effort almost doesn't cut it because my voice starts turning a bit hoarse and muffled. Like say at 5pm or so I really have to clear my throat alot and prepare myself if I even want to try to speak to somebody and have them hear what I'm saying.

I have had an ENT look at my vocal chords 2 times past 2 years and he's told me both times they look healthy with no bumps. Also gerd doesn't seem likely because the voice is alot better in the mornings. Any input?

2013-11-01 06:22:36

AdBot
Advertisements

#2 2013-11-01 15:17:53

FelipeCarvalho
TMV Forum Member
Website

Re: The voice is better in the morning, worsens throughout the day?

It almost feels like I'm using too much effot.

It could be the problem, or a part of it.

So the ENT decided it was ok to just ignore the problem and consider the daily degradation of quality as "normal"?

#3 2013-11-01 23:33:59

Owen Korzec
TMV Forum Member
Website

I would guess your speaking technique is inefficient and tiring you out quickly.

Do you speak a lot throughout the day?

Anyways, try doing semi-occluded vocal exercises (resonant humming, lip trills, etc. and DONT PUSH, keep it light and easy), they should help improve your speaking technique and keep you from using too much effort. Speaking brightly and clearly is great but putting unnecessary power and effort into your speaking voice is not. Just establish a bright resonance and let that do the work to project your voice.

#4 2013-11-02 07:26:18

Aelpee
TMV Forum Member

Yeah I probably should've gone to a speech therapist for them to consider the daily degradation of quality a bad thing. ENTs around here only treat problems like nodules and stuff when they appear but don't really do anything if everything looks normal. Too bad that the speech therapists are so far and few around here. :/

Owen: Yeah I've thought that my speaking technique could be the culprit but everything I've tried so far has failed. I've tried relaxing myself more as I speak, tried speaking at a higher and a lower pitch, tried projecting the sound more into my nose but nothing seems to work.

Last edited by Aelpee (2013-11-02 07:28:35)

#5 2013-11-02 12:58:48

ronws
TMV Forum Member

Aelpee, you didn't answer the most important question. How are you using your voice during the day? And for how long? For some people, going too light, almost whispering, is more damaging than their normal honk-blast. And there is only so much mileage in the voice, per day, as expressed by Ronnie James Dio, who sang professionally for over 40 years.

Also, allergies. Maybe, at the office, during the day, there is something that is causing an allergic reaction, causing you to have more phlegm, requiring the clearing of the throat. Needing to clear the throat is not a sign of bad technique, it is a sign of increased production of mucus, which is usually environmental.

And just the shear wear and tear on the body. Singing is best done when well rested. There is no singer who sings in the morning, and then talks all day, then sings some more and gets away with it with no ill effects. Granted, singing technique is important but it does not give you the key to effortless vocalization 24/7.

"When the daylight is rising up in my eyes ..." - Klaus Meine

#6 2013-11-02 15:12:29

Aelpee
TMV Forum Member

ronws wrote:

Aelpee, you didn't answer the most important question. How are you using your voice during the day? And for how long? For some people, going too light, almost whispering, is more damaging than their normal honk-blast. And there is only so much mileage in the voice, per day, as expressed by Ronnie James Dio, who sang professionally for over 40 years..

Hey thanks alot Ron! Something here caught my eye. I'm indeed using my voice more lightly in my work when talking to people in order to sound more polite. I don't have to talk all the time in my work but it's still a hefty ammount during the day. I guess I'll have to work on this...

#7 2013-11-02 15:31:31

ronws
TMV Forum Member

It is noted in any number of schools of singing that whispering is murder on the voice. Too much air is passing and dries out the folds, making them crackly and losing tenacity. Ever notice how a baby can wail for what seems like forever? Because they have not yet learned their culture's demand to be quiet.

So, let your voice out where it wants to be.

My job requires me to talk on the phone, in person, varying amounts in the day. So, I let my voice go where it wants to go and not hold it back or hold it in one "spot."

"When the daylight is rising up in my eyes ..." - Klaus Meine

OTHER TMV WEB SITES: TMV RECOMMENDS: TMV RECOMMENDS: TMV RECOMMENDS:

Adverts

Board footer