TMV Partners

You are not logged in.

Announcement

GO HERE: www.TheModernVocalistWorld.com

ATTENTION TMV WORLD FORUM MEMBERS! YOU NEED TO GO LOGIN AND/OR REGISTER AT THE NEW AND IMPROVED TMV WORLD FORUM SYSTEM.

CLICK THIS LINK TO GO TO THE NEW FORUM. WHEN YOU ARRIVE AT THE NEW FORUM, LOGIN OR REGISTER AND THEN CLICK ON "GETTING STARTED". ALL OF THE POSTS AND TOPICS HAVE BEEN MIGRATED OVER AND EXISTING MEMBERS WILL BE LINKED BACK TO ALL THEIR POSTS IN THE NEW SYSTEM AFTER YOU LOGIN.

www.TheModernVocalistWorld.com

IF YOU ARE A NEW VISITOR THAT JUST JOINED US, YOU ARE INVITED TO COME OVER TO OUR NEW FORUM SYSTEM. CLICK THIS LINK TO GO THERE AND REGISTER.

www.TheModernVocalistWorld.com

Adverts

#1 2013-10-26 08:05:26

cauthon
TMV Forum Member
Microphone for my situation

I've been using an el cheapo Samson Somethingorother mic, $25 at your local Best Buy. I'm finding it's not cutting it at all - the sound it picks up has as much subtlety as a brick, and sounds incredibly flat unless you feed it through all kinds of filtering - and to make things worse, the mic input on my 2007 Mac is loose, causing static every time I move my mic around. In addition, that machine isn't compatible with the newest version of Garageband, and crashes every time I try to modify the input sound coming from the mic in any way. Time for a change.

In an ideal world, since my newer Mac doesn't have a Mic In jack, I'd love a USB mic. I've heard bad things about the sound quality, however. Is that true?

It would have to be compatible with Macs and Garageband. I do practice and some recordings at home with them.

Currently, I have my eye on the Shure SM58-X2U, with the included USB adapter. I wince at the price, however ($189-ish).

Any other suggestions, or is that pretty much my best option?

Thanks!

Last edited by cauthon (2013-10-26 08:16:53)

2013-10-26 08:05:26

AdBot
Advertisements

#2 2013-10-27 11:47:53

ronws
TMV Forum Member

Re: Microphone for my situation

Or, like I have, a Guitarface II USB adapter ( about $35) Fame CM1 condenser studio mic, $23. However, I think my voice is captured better on the senheisser e835, which was 74.99 on e bay, no shipping (in the US.) I am not aware of the sm 58 X2U, thought I am aware of the 58. By the way, my mics are real mics with xlr ends on them. So, to use the interface I have, the cord is 6' with xlr on one end, phono on the other.

Whereas, I don't know so much about the quality of USB mics, something that can plug directly into a usb port or hub. However, my Zoom H1 portable digital recorder does a pretty good job and may actually be better for my acoustic guitar covers than even setting up my other mics.

"When the daylight is rising up in my eyes ..." - Klaus Meine

OTHER TMV WEB SITES: TMV RECOMMENDS: TMV RECOMMENDS: TMV RECOMMENDS:

Adverts

Board footer