TMV Partners

You are not logged in.

Announcement

GO HERE: www.TheModernVocalistWorld.com

ATTENTION TMV WORLD FORUM MEMBERS! YOU NEED TO GO LOGIN AND/OR REGISTER AT THE NEW AND IMPROVED TMV WORLD FORUM SYSTEM.

CLICK THIS LINK TO GO TO THE NEW FORUM. WHEN YOU ARRIVE AT THE NEW FORUM, LOGIN OR REGISTER AND THEN CLICK ON "GETTING STARTED". ALL OF THE POSTS AND TOPICS HAVE BEEN MIGRATED OVER AND EXISTING MEMBERS WILL BE LINKED BACK TO ALL THEIR POSTS IN THE NEW SYSTEM AFTER YOU LOGIN.

www.TheModernVocalistWorld.com

IF YOU ARE A NEW VISITOR THAT JUST JOINED US, YOU ARE INVITED TO COME OVER TO OUR NEW FORUM SYSTEM. CLICK THIS LINK TO GO THERE AND REGISTER.

www.TheModernVocalistWorld.com

Adverts

#1 2013-10-15 20:19:05

gilad
TMV Forum Member

Acid Reflux/Gerd

Looks like I have acid reflux. My symptoms are feeling as if the food hasnt been digested and is stuck in my throat when i wake up in the morning. Also, all my issues with the vocal cord like getting gaps in my range when it comes to head voice. I am wondering if anyone here has ever been diagnosed with Acid reflux, and has had my symptoms, and what did he do to get rid of it. I am now coming to the conclusion that there is a good chance I cant vocal fry because of this long term Acid reflux condition. I have had these symptoms ever since, and never thought anything of it. I lately went to another ENT and he said that this can very well be the case. He has ordered me to come to his office every day and do an inhalation with 3 types of meds. 1) Hydrocortisone, 2) Cefamezin   3) Solvex.

I sincerely hope this will cure me for good so I can get back to singing.

2013-10-15 20:19:05

AdBot
Advertisements

#2 2013-10-19 09:19:33

Sun
TMV Forum Member
Re: Acid Reflux/Gerd

I'm not an expert but my voice teacher has reflux and can handle his with dietary changes.

No food 3h prior to bed, avoid spicy food, chocolate is a trigger for him, coffe for some. You can elevate the head of your bed by like 6 inches or more.

Pretty standard protocol, you probably already have but just google regular reflux treatment and the meds from your doctor should keep it down?

Hope it helped

#3 2013-10-19 10:07:22

gilad
TMV Forum Member

Sun wrote:

I'm not an expert but my voice teacher has reflux and can handle his with dietary changes.

No food 3h prior to bed, avoid spicy food, chocolate is a trigger for him, coffe for some. You can elevate the head of your bed by like 6 inches or more.

Pretty standard protocol, you probably already have but just google regular reflux treatment and the meds from your doctor should keep it down?

Hope it helped

THanks Man!

Yes, I have a list of what "I CANT" eat, and also the 3 hours prior to bed deal. So far, its been a week. I havent been the best at it, as there were 2 evenings that I had engagements with superior food. Although I did only taste the red meat.. :)

Anyways, other than that, I am on the strict diet. I am going to see the doc again tomorrow for a followup.

Ill keep updating.
THanks.

#4 2013-10-20 13:22:11

ronws
TMV Forum Member

Something else to consider is a GI infection in the stomach. I took my wife to the doctor yesterday, which was Saturday. Wednesday before that was the last time she ate something. 3 spoons of soup. And she was getting too weak to even get herself to a doctor and we do not have health insurance. And some will be asking, what about Obamacare? Even though I politically disagreed with that, I could work with it if they would get their act together. Right now, it's a garbled mess that does not even take effect until next year, under the best of circumstances.

So, yesterday's visits were all paid in cash by me. Doctor visit and blood test for the infection (which was negative but that is not a definitive sign of not having the infection,) and 4 scripts. One for a compound of mylanta, lanacaine and something else, that is to immediately settle the stomach as she was not even keeping down water. Then a pill for the acid reflux effect of this, one for the anti-nausea, and finally, the horse-sized pill that is the anti-biotic. So, early this morning, she ate one whole cup of apple sauce. One whole cup. And kept it down.

So, our victories have been a little more basic than whether or not she could sing a favorite song. Keeping down a bottle of water, a cup of apple sauce. Her skin is a bit rough from being dehydrated. So, she is going to live, after all, so far.

Anyway, sorry to derail a bit. Just thought if you had not thought of infections, it might be a direction worth pursuing. For her, it did not come on all at once. We thought it was indigestion, at first, maybe acid reflux. Using otc antacids and such.

"When the daylight is rising up in my eyes ..." - Klaus Meine

#5 2013-10-21 21:16:44

gilad
TMV Forum Member

Oh wow Ron! I am glad that she is managing to keep the apple sauce down at least, and wish her and you all the best. Was it highly priced? You dont have any way to get insurance?

#6 2013-10-22 00:54:23

ronws
TMV Forum Member

gilad wrote:

Oh wow Ron! I am glad that she is managing to keep the apple sauce down at least, and wish her and you all the best. Was it highly priced? You dont have any way to get insurance?

Having to scale the meds back to just the antibiotic and the anti-nausea. The reflux med is too heavy, now, as is the mylanta - lanacaine mix, which knocks you out like a bottle of wine. And that's just one teaspoon.

She got sick twice this afternoon but is feeling better. Still only managing about 1 cup of applesauce a day, and water.

The doctor's visit was 50 and the blood test for the suspected stomach infection was 30. Anti-nausea, reflux, and antibiotic was 17 all together. Had to go to a different pharmacy to get the mylanta mix, which she needed first, if she was going to keep anything else down. That was 60. Total for the day was about 157 (USD.)

My company does not have healthcare. She is out of work. And the greatly hailed Affordable Care Act has crashed out of the gate. Website locked up. Then, when parts of it started working, it took the information wrong, requiring insurance companies to follow up and ask the same questions, again. And even if one is successful getting into this, it does not take effect until next year.

Which is when they will also start taking out taxes. I am not talking about the IRS penalty they will take if you do not enroll by 1-1-14. I mean the taxes to pay for the subsidies our millionaire congress and some unions now qualify for. And they do not tax just the "rich," it will increase everyone's taxes. And it will increase insurance premiums. Why? Okay, I will be 50 next year. My wife has been past the age of conceiving a child for a while. We will not be having children. But will be required to purchase newborn and maternity leave coverage. Because it is now the law.

And, of course, there will be high deductibles, especially if all you can afford is the minimum payment. And insurance companies are pulling out of the program in several states, already.

So, I just had to pay whatever the bill was.

The federal government will not allow to start a health service account, which builds like a 401 (k) unless I already have a high premium policy in place, and then, I am only allowed to contribute $3k per year.

"Hi, I'm from the government and I am here to help." That is the classic definition of an oxymoron.

Anyway, looking for thngs to get better.

"When the daylight is rising up in my eyes ..." - Klaus Meine

#7 2013-10-28 21:05:05

jco5055
TMV Forum Member

Just thought I would chime in after going to an ENT/laryngologist for the first time today.

For a quick recap, assuming nobody remembers my past posts I had been suffering from an overall loss of range (we're talking extremes here, like my high total range going from a D6 to a B5), and some coughing/discomfort etc, and haven't practiced in like a month.

Luckily, I did not have any nodes/polyps etc that required surgery.  Basically all he said was that I had heartburn and gave me a sheet of suggested medications/diet changes etc.

Interestingly, he noticed/remarked that one of my vocal cords is bigger than the other, but his guess is that it's just a genetic thing.  I had always noticed that if I was REALLY paying attention to my singing it never felt like I was truly singing dead center, always a little bit to one side similar to how everybody favors a side when chewing or swallowing (or maybe that's just me).  Regardless, he had absolutely no concern about the size differences so it seems like there's nothing I could do if that was causing any problems, so I'm ok with it.

Maybe what I found most surprising was that I asked him if I should refrain from singing until x amount of weeks implementing dietary changes or medication etc, and he said from a health standpoint I could start singing this very minute.  So basically, although I might not be my personal 100% until my larynx/throat is free of heartburn irritation, practicing "hurt" isn't going to make it harder/longer to heal.  So that's a relief.

My diet has always included the trouble foods/drinks, I guess eventually my throat had a quota for overall acidity it could take but after 20 years it's finally hit the stage where it can't process it anymore without heartburn.  In a sense I'm disappointed that except for special occasions I'm going to stay away from fried/fatty foods, chocolate, alcohol etc (basically all the finer pleasures in life :lol: ) but I'm also happy.  I've always been a bit of a health nut and knew from a health standpoint none of the stuff listed was good for you, but now that I know it's also bad for my singing I'm pretty much going to stick to healthy eating and drinking 95% of the time.  So in a sense my temptation is pretty much gone :cool: .

#8 2014-07-31 08:29:56

DAZZUS
TMV Forum Member

I sure sympathize with you. Out of nowhere, I started get reflux from a singing related hernia 2 years. See my post on Appoggio and reflux..:)

OTHER TMV WEB SITES: TMV RECOMMENDS: TMV RECOMMENDS: TMV RECOMMENDS:

Adverts

Board footer