TMV Partners

You are not logged in.

Announcement

GO HERE: www.TheModernVocalistWorld.com

ATTENTION TMV WORLD FORUM MEMBERS! YOU NEED TO GO LOGIN AND/OR REGISTER AT THE NEW AND IMPROVED TMV WORLD FORUM SYSTEM.

CLICK THIS LINK TO GO TO THE NEW FORUM. WHEN YOU ARRIVE AT THE NEW FORUM, LOGIN OR REGISTER AND THEN CLICK ON "GETTING STARTED". ALL OF THE POSTS AND TOPICS HAVE BEEN MIGRATED OVER AND EXISTING MEMBERS WILL BE LINKED BACK TO ALL THEIR POSTS IN THE NEW SYSTEM AFTER YOU LOGIN.

www.TheModernVocalistWorld.com

IF YOU ARE A NEW VISITOR THAT JUST JOINED US, YOU ARE INVITED TO COME OVER TO OUR NEW FORUM SYSTEM. CLICK THIS LINK TO GO THERE AND REGISTER.

www.TheModernVocalistWorld.com

Adverts

#1 2013-10-14 21:06:15

VIDEOHERE
Administrator

tmv lou gramm section

i decided to take jen's idea for a dedicated lou gramm thread, so i started one here.

please use this specifically for anything pertaining to lou gramm.

thanks folks.

and thanks in advance for putting up with all my frequent posts about him.......lol!!

2013-10-14 21:06:15

AdBot
Advertisements

#2 2013-10-14 21:32:43

MDEW
TMV Forum Member

Re: tmv lou gramm section

What is your most favorite Lou Gramm song?
   I am partial to Hot Blooded.  It first showed up when I was in my teens. One of the songs that made me want to be a musician.

"Knock me down, It's all in vain. I'll get right back on my feet again."  Pat Benatar

#3 2013-10-14 22:02:42

jco5055
TMV Forum Member

For me, it depends if we are talking Lou Gramm solo or anything he's been on.

I like a whole bunch of Foreigner songs, favorites being "I Want to Know What Love Is", "Urgent", and "Juke Box Hero".

Solo stuff, I like "Just Between You and Me"

#4 2013-10-15 00:06:36

VIDEOHERE
Administrator

i have those i simply like the song and those where the vocals just amaze me.

but the ones that truly amaze me because of where he takes his voice or the intensity he develops....

i'm gonna win
heaven on our side
just between you and me
prisoner of love
break it up
juke box hero (live)
i'll come running (live)
hot blooded

there are more, but these come right to mind.

#5 2013-10-15 00:21:28

ronws
TMV Forum Member

Even though I have the 3-cd set of Foreigner's greatest hits (yes, they had so many popular songs it takes up 3 cds and not a crappy song in them,) I still think my favorite is "Dirty White Boy." Not the highest song they have done. It just has that right "attitude." Maybe I identify with it because I am, by golly, a dirty white boy. I don't know. Some songs just capture your fancy.

And, without yet reading his bio, which I plan to read soon, he has always seemed so humble. And I mean true humility. Not, "oh, I am crap" and then he breaks hearts with "I've Been Waiting." I mean, he knows he sings well and that is okay but he sings what he can do and does not view himself above the rest of humanity, even though his talent obviously shows his dedication to consistent work. I have seen interviews and he has never come across with the attitude of say, Don Dokken.

Though he obviously seems elusive to capture on the street, even for townie neighbor and fellow forum member Keith, he still seems like an ordinary guy you would meet on the street. Like King Diamond. A singer, yeah, but a guy who would most likely be your neighbor.

Last edited by ronws (2013-10-15 00:22:37)

"When the daylight is rising up in my eyes ..." - Klaus Meine

#6 2013-10-16 23:03:01

VIDEOHERE
Administrator

from the book i got the distinct impression he knows exactly how good he is without coming across like he does.

he also talked about how he would beg their manager to give them more days off to help him recover between shows.

#7 2013-10-16 23:21:38

Danielformica
TMV Forum Member
Website

I'm gonna have fun with you bob.. Lou Gramm was a great singer but extremely inconsistent... And discuss

DANIEL
WWW.YOURVOCALTEACHER.COM
WWW.DANIELFORMICAVOCALSTUDIO.COM
www.soundcloud.com/daniel-formica

Disclaimer-Anything I write or try to help people with on here are techniques and things that have worked for ME.  They are not necessarily" right" or "wrong" but have worked for ME and my 20+ yrs as a professional working
singer.
Thank you

#8 2013-10-16 23:49:34

ronws
TMV Forum Member

I'll bite, Daniel. When you say inconsistent, was that before or after his stroke?

Or both?

#9 2013-10-16 23:51:45

Danielformica
TMV Forum Member
Website

Both

DANIEL
WWW.YOURVOCALTEACHER.COM

Disclaimer-Anything I write or try to help people with on here are techniques and things that have worked for ME.  They are not necessarily" right" or "wrong" but have worked for ME and my 20+ yrs as a professional working
singer.
Thank you

#10 2013-10-16 23:55:38

ronws
TMV Forum Member

Well, I have to admit that I have not seen him perform live and in person so I don't know where he was inconsistent. I'll have to leave that to the experts.

#11 2013-10-17 05:07:43

jco5055
TMV Forum Member

Danielformica wrote:

I'm gonna have fun with you bob.. Lou Gramm was a great singer but extremely inconsistent... And discuss

there a definitely a few vids I've seen of him that are a bit ugly.

For one, this one that is often applauded:

On the high notes he often seems to strain and be a little flat, kind of like he's reaching while pulling chest.

And this one:

I personally think he sounds pretty unimpressive here.

My favorite stuff from Lou is studio stuff, I think pre-tumor he may have not really had any training or knew what he was doing, which led to quite a few off nights and burnouts, which i think Farm Aid may have been for him.

Last edited by jco5055 (2013-10-17 05:08:23)

#12 2013-10-17 12:50:02

jonpall
TMV Forum Member

jco5055 wrote:

Danielformica wrote:

there a definitely a few vids I've seen of him that are a bit ugly.

For one, this one that is often applauded:

On the high notes he often seems to strain and be a little flat, kind of like he's reaching while pulling chest.

And this one:

I personally think he sounds pretty unimpressive here.

My favorite stuff from Lou is studio stuff, I think pre-tumor he may have not really had any training or knew what he was doing, which led to quite a few off nights and burnouts, which i think Farm Aid may have been for him.

Man, I don't know what to say. I COMPLETELY disagree! He's MOSTLY on pitch, which is simply the nature of live singing - you're not going to sing EVERY note on pitch, but almost EVERY note is totally on pitch. I guess what's bugging you is the fact that he's raspier than on the records and therefore you call it "pulling chest". Well - this is called live rock and roll singing folks. Some people just don't like it. But being able to sing those MONSTROUSLY difficult Foreigner songs with that type of skill is just amazing. Now, there ARE singers who have done a very poor job live, like Axl Rose in recent years, f.ex. I'll have you know that I personally set VERY high standards on singing and live singing as well - so I'm not giving Lou Gramm any free tickets here. But I'll state again that's he's great here. He HAS sung better but this is nothing to shout at. It's freaking great. The second clip is slightly worse sung, but not by a big margin. I regularly record my own vocals and I'm very picky, especially with pitch, so I can hear well if a singer is off. But I must say that I can recall some youtube clips of Lou Gramm ACTUALLY singing a bit badly. But those clips are not them.

This is of course my opinion and anyone else can totally disagree if they want. :) Sorry if I come across a bit harsh, but I just believe that rock and roll singing SHOULD be very edgy - not pitchy - but edgy.

#13 2013-10-17 12:54:18

jonpall
TMV Forum Member

Another thing - if you sing in this type of rock and roll style, it's a fact that the higher you go in pitch, the more distorted the sound will be. And that's just amazingly cool (unless you're flat or sharp, which isn't the case in these clips). Some people would prefer it if the highest notes were very clean. That's great for other types of music, but for songs like these, if you can do it rock and roll all the way, there ain't no better music in my ears.

#14 2013-10-17 17:01:57

Danielformica
TMV Forum Member
Website

jonpall wrote:

Another thing - if you sing in this type of rock and roll style, it's a fact that the higher you go in pitch, the more distorted the sound will be. And that's just amazingly cool (unless you're flat or sharp, which isn't the case in these clips). Some people would prefer it if the highest notes were very clean. That's great for other types of music, but for songs like these, if you can do it rock and roll all the way, there ain't no better music in my ears.

I love Lou but listen closely on most clips and he is pretty flat on I wanna know what love is and a bunch of other live clips and then listen to Sam who sounds raspier and singing hard and high and is pretty pitch perfect. Lou sounds great dont get me wrong I just wanted to stir it up a little and show how if you hold on to to much weight you hit ceilings throughout range. Kinda like Arnel trying to sound bigger than he is and like Steve perry to the end of his career trying to sound bigger. If you wanna sing up in the high ranges you have to thin out and that's why I recommend the  live Sam Cooke performances cause he stay thin and keeps enough to add the rasp.

I can't do this shit as good as Lou but I'm just pointing out different things technically without making up a new term;)

DANIEL
WWW.YOURVOCALTEACHER.COM

singer.
Thank you

#15 2013-10-17 18:30:22

jco5055
TMV Forum Member

jonpall wrote:

Man, I don't know what to say. I COMPLETELY disagree! He's MOSTLY on pitch, which is simply the nature of live singing - you're not going to sing EVERY note on pitch, but almost EVERY note is totally on pitch. I guess what's bugging you is the fact that he's raspier than on the records and therefore you call it "pulling chest". Well - this is called live rock and roll singing folks. Some people just don't like it. But being able to sing those MONSTROUSLY difficult Foreigner songs with that type of skill is just amazing. Now, there ARE singers who have done a very poor job live, like Axl Rose in recent years, f.ex. I'll have you know that I personally set VERY high standards on singing and live singing as well - so I'm not giving Lou Gramm any free tickets here. But I'll state again that's he's great here. He HAS sung better but this is nothing to shout at. It's freaking great. The second clip is slightly worse sung, but not by a big margin. I regularly record my own vocals and I'm very picky, especially with pitch, so I can hear well if a singer is off. But I must say that I can recall some youtube clips of Lou Gramm ACTUALLY singing a bit badly. But those clips are not them.

This is of course my opinion and anyone else can totally disagree if they want. :) Sorry if I come across a bit harsh, but I just believe that rock and roll singing SHOULD be very edgy - not pitchy - but edgy.

I don't necessarily think the pitch is horrible (like you said, it is live singing so it's not going to be 100% on pitch) but yeah I think for me the main thing is the added rasp on the higher notes.  He almost sounds like a different singer to me.  Especially on the farm aid clip- If you listen to the studio version of Urgent, he gets into a more raspy sound on the highest notes of the song, but it seems like in the clip he starts adding that rasp on high notes  that aren't the select highest he does in the studio version.

I don't know if it's a similar thing to myself, where a year ago when I sung live at a tailgate (like in my avatar) I still had trouble not singing too loud and basically bridging too late, so I would often have to flip into head voice on the highest notes, and it always sounded too compressed and disconnected to me.  I have no idea if Lou is doing something similar live here but that's kind of what it makes me think of, that added rasp is kind of like a pure/easier head voice thing since obviously live is harder than studio.

Lou's still great, and I'm not saying I can do any better, but I can't remember the last time I listened to another singer I love that was so pitchy live.  Though to be fair, most of me watching live vids from my favorite singers comes from the Magic Moments thread (so it is probably that top 1% of performances) and pro-shot vids, which would not surprise me if there are overdubs for them.

Last edited by jco5055 (2013-10-17 18:31:27)

#16 2013-10-17 19:57:02

VIDEOHERE
Administrator

lou did have a bad coke and alcohol habit, not sure which years.

but there are vocal performances of him that are just incredible...

what i was always impressed with is where he took his voice during a song. there would always some tough interval, very high beginning, another series of high notes, higher than the ones you were still impacted by.

he has this punchy intensity that is so hard to come close to......

you see a ton of steve perry covers, but not 1/3 as many foreigner covers.

he broke his ass up on stage, every single time, and if he missed a note here or there he has admitted in interviews his love is live singing and being off from time to time.

#17 2013-10-17 20:22:00

jco5055
TMV Forum Member

VIDEOHERE wrote:

lou did have a bad coke and alcohol habit, not sure which years.

but there are vocal performances of him that are just incredible...

what i was always impressed with is where he took his voice during a song. there would always some tough interval, very high beginning, another series of high notes, higher than the ones you were still impacted by.

he has this punchy intensity that is so hard to come close to......

you see a ton of steve perry covers, but not 1/3 as many foreigner covers.

he broke his ass up on stage, every single time, and if he missed a note here or there he has admitted in interviews his love is live singing and being off from time to time.

That is true, one thing I love is that he is always intense and gave it all no matter how his voice was that night.

#18 2013-10-18 00:09:22

ronws
TMV Forum Member

Danielformica wrote:

Lou sounds great don't get me wrong I just wanted to stir it up a little

Alrighty, then.

Best response, so far, Jonpall, who has been finding these things out, on the road.

I don't think Sam Cooke was filmed as often as Foreigner. And, on a number of those old tv shows, they required the singer to lip-synch to a recorded track. Not saying that Sam did, but it happened a lot.

And here's a funny thing. Bob did a cover of Sam Cooke doing "Change is Gonna Come." And sounded a LOT like Sam Cooke.

Anyway, as far as I can tell, there is always a difference between live performance singing and what you hear on a produced album which doesn't go for duplication until every note and nuance is in its last place.

But I am not an expert, just stuff I have read.

Oh, Lou, surely doest thou rock. I like to kid Bob because he is always bringing up Lou. But hey, for a singing role model, he could a lot worse.

Last edited by ronws (2013-10-18 00:10:19)

#19 2013-10-18 08:49:34

jonpall
TMV Forum Member

How about someone post a clip of Lou where he's pitchy? :)

#20 2013-10-18 15:58:29

VIDEOHERE
Administrator

yes, i'd like to hear it too. i must have watched every single yt vid on him....lol!!!!

when you sing with a slightly darker sound, (which he did at times) there's always the risk of sounding a little flat.

#21 2013-10-18 16:08:37

Danielformica
TMV Forum Member
Website

Farm aid.. And many others that bob has shown me Lou is pitchy.

Excuses excuses:P

Darker than him, Donny Hathaway flat? Never.. Michael Bolton flat? Probably not... Paul Rodgers nope..

Last edited by Danielformica (2013-10-18 16:21:43)

DANIEL
WWW.YOURVOCALTEACHER.COM

singer.
Thank you

#22 2013-10-18 17:22:27

VIDEOHERE
Administrator

dan, can you select a video or videos and specifically point out where lou is pitchy in more than once instance? time marks will help.

i'm not hearing it.....

#23 2013-10-18 17:25:08

Danielformica
TMV Forum Member
Website

I wanna know what love is farm aid for starters you just showed me that. How about you post a not pitchy performance? :P

DANIEL
WWW.YOURVOCALTEACHER.COM

singer.
Thank you

#24 2013-10-18 17:34:11

jonpall
TMV Forum Member

I just checked out two Farm aid clips and there were only a couple of notes here that were slightly pitchy, which I find very forgiving for that type of live singing. I checked out Urgent and I wanna know what love is.

Btw. here's a great Foreigner cover done by a woman:

#25 2013-10-18 17:36:41

Danielformica
TMV Forum Member
Website

The urgent clip in this thread shows him flat a whole bunch.
Again don't get me wrong I love him and I can't do better but flat is flat. It's like math :)

DANIEL
WWW.YOURVOCALTEACHER.COM

singer.
Thank you

#26 2013-10-18 18:21:09

VIDEOHERE
Administrator

most covers of that song by bands are mostly women. very rarely do you hear a guy singing that song well in that key without a struggle.

even guys voices that are naturally high......they can't get the thicker sound lou got on that song. they can sit up high but don't bring in any depth.

listen to this depth, this intense hoot he gets.

that word "mind" is taken in steps...

#27 2013-10-18 18:38:58

jco5055
TMV Forum Member

kickingtone wrote:

I think that pitch recognition is partly psychological. Pitch is something we ultimately interpret, and it has a subjective component.

What we call pitch perfect is just one of potentially many standards to which we have become accustomed. It can still sound flat to someone else.

I tend to think of it in a colors way.  You can keep adding green to blue and the color still be considered blue past a certain point.  I think some people see too much green sooner than others.

We could easily solve this debate if someone ran some kind of spectro-analyzer through the studio and live ersions and compared.  I have no idea how to do this, but someone else could.

#28 2013-10-18 20:29:54

FelipeCarvalho
TMV Forum Member
Website

VIDEOHERE wrote:

yes, i'd like to hear it too. i must have watched every single yt vid on him....lol!!!!

when you sing with a slightly darker sound, (which he did at times) there's always the risk of sounding a little flat.

No Bob, sorry but you sound flat when you are flat. Usually what happens is scooping. And scooping is not only flat but almost an octave bellow the attack note...

#29 2013-10-18 21:03:14

Danielformica
TMV Forum Member
Website

Oh snap!

DANIEL
WWW.YOURVOCALTEACHER.COM

singer.
Thank you

#30 2013-10-18 23:01:14

VIDEOHERE
Administrator

no, felipe, i know what scooping is.....maybe i need to explain better.
this was told to me by ken tamplin......when the voice has less chiaro (more skewed towards darker tone) there is more of a tendency to be perceived of as a little flatter. rather than a tone that's skewed more towards the brighter side.

maybe this is not true?

#31 2013-10-18 23:08:16

Danielformica
TMV Forum Member
Website

Flat is flat.. That wasn't a good way to explain it to you.  And what does that hot spanish chick Chiaro have to do with it  Coochie coochie( bob will get this you younger people won't )

Last edited by Danielformica (2013-10-18 23:11:29)

DANIEL
WWW.YOURVOCALTEACHER.COM

singer.
Thank you

#32 2013-10-18 23:16:38

MDEW
TMV Forum Member

I always Loved Chiaros' Scurro..  :P

"Knock me down, It's all in vain. I'll get right back on my feet again."  Pat Benatar

#33 2013-10-18 23:25:27

jco5055
TMV Forum Member

Danielformica wrote:

Flat is flat.. That wasn't a good way to explain it to you.  And what does that hot spanish chick Chiaro have to do with it  Coochie coochie( bob will get this you younger people won't )

I had the pleasure (?) of seeing her on the Surreal Life.

Was surprised to find out she's a masterful guitar player.

#34 2013-10-19 00:14:12

ThePowerOfOne
TMV Forum Member

VIDEOHERE wrote:

this was told to me by ken tamplin......when the voice has less chiaro (more skewed towards darker tone) there is more of a tendency to be perceived of as a little flatter. rather than a tone that's skewed more towards the brighter side.

maybe this is not true?

I believe what Ken usually says is that you need to be careful how you negotiate going from a covered-darker sound to a maskier-brighter sound within the same piece or even the same phrase. The more covered sound could be perceived as flat or under pitch when compared to brighter tone which could sound on top of the pitch, eventually causing the singer to sound off pitch altogether even if he really isn't. It's a matter of perception.

#35 2013-10-19 00:24:46

ronws
TMV Forum Member

I can surmise that Lou had some rough nights here and there, though I do not hear any pitchiness in the clips presented, so far.

He still rocks hard, good nights and not so good nights. And I would rather hear him on a rough night than many others.

Here's the funny part of this thread. Makes me want to open a bag of pretzels and pop a beer. To sit back and watch these vain-glorious attempts to knock Lou off his perch. No one will ever be able to convince Bob that Lou is less than awesome. Cause even on his roughest night, Lou is still better than a lot of singers, regardless of their training or their view of their own expertise.

Makes me want to start a thread just so I can talk about how I never cared all that much for Michael Jackson's voice. Don't give a rat's posterior about Bruno Mars. And whoever's other holy cows are in here. But that would probably draw more blood. Remember how ya'll reacted when someone else was less than totally enamored of Steve Perry's voice?

I should probably shut up now.

Except to say that Lou Gramm rocks and Bob has some class for admiring his singing.

#36 2013-10-19 19:14:16

VIDEOHERE
Administrator

thanks my brother.....if i get to sit down with him next week, i'm gonna get to the bottom of all this....lol!!!!!

i still can't figure out how the hell he did this intense singing for all those years and right up till his tumor took him out he was still rockin' his ass off.

#37 2013-10-19 22:35:11

ronws
TMV Forum Member

VIDEOHERE wrote:

thanks my brother.....if i get to sit down with him next week, i'm gonna get to the bottom of all this....lol!!!!!

i still can't figure out how the hell he did this intense singing for all those years and right up till his tumor took him out he was still rockin' his ass off.

Because whatever technique you can learn is to allow you to sing from the heart.

#38 2013-10-19 23:40:34

GrammCummingsfan
TMV Forum Member

I actually think he still sounds really good these days, despite not having the extreme high range any more.

#39 2013-10-19 23:50:39

GrammCummingsfan
TMV Forum Member

Good example of the "oo" vowel.

Last edited by GrammCummingsfan (2013-10-19 23:51:30)

#40 2013-10-19 23:51:56

ronws
TMV Forum Member

Wanted to add, I really liked the Gretchen Wilson cover of "Hot-blooded." Her first big hit song was "Redneck Woman." And she did a Crossroads episode with Heart.

She is considered one of the modern "Outlaws" along with Big & Rich and a few others. People in the genre of country music who do not follow the status quo but make their own path as they go along.

Rock and country, a beautiful (in more ways than one) synergy of story-telling and intensity. Kind of like what Lou does.

Hmmmm ......

#41 2013-10-21 18:43:24

VIDEOHERE
Administrator

GrammCummingsfan wrote:

Good example of the "oo" vowel.

it's about time you showed up grammcummingsfan...lol!!!

you see, if you listen really carefully you hear shades of "oo" and "uh" in a lot of lou's singing.

i feel he narrows very similar to how opera guys do.......the pharynx and head cavities just light up.
he manages and directs a tall, narrow sound beam and hits that hooty pocket dead on.

i think it's important to be able to discern when a singer is just shading with a vowel (throat shape) as opposed to just singing a required vowel needed for a lyric word.

this video has to listened to...it's full of tonal richness and well placed vowels and vowel shades all thoughout the song

#42 2013-10-26 15:48:03

VIDEOHERE
Administrator

timi re-did the original post.

a seriously great compilation of lou's finest vocal performances.....some of his vocals are beyond great.

it really pays honor to such an incredible vocalist.

#43 2013-10-28 16:53:58

VIDEOHERE
Administrator

well folks, lou gramm and eddie money ended up cancelling....maybe another time......

#44 2013-11-05 23:36:29

VIDEOHERE
Administrator

hi folks, here's some rare lou gramm singing in his hometown just having fun with some covers (mostly beatles).

#45 2013-11-06 15:11:00

GrammCummingsfan
TMV Forum Member

Another great performance. :) I thought it was interesting that most of the keys were actually lower than the  originals, except for "Drift Away". He sounded surprisingly strong in this middle register.

#46 2013-11-06 16:06:37

VIDEOHERE
Administrator

i agree.....

#47 2013-11-14 18:52:54

VIDEOHERE
Administrator

rare concert audio with lou singing his friggin' ass off and the only known live version of "i'm gonna win."

#48 2013-11-14 19:07:06

GrammCummingsfan
TMV Forum Member

I've been wanting to hear this one live for so long! Thank you!

#49 2013-11-14 20:07:51

VIDEOHERE
Administrator

the man is a beast...

#50 2013-11-14 20:24:12

GrammCummingsfan
TMV Forum Member

Definitely. That tone on those really high parts in "I'm Gonna Win" and "Night Life" (neither of which I had heard live recordings of before) is unbelievable.

OTHER TMV WEB SITES: TMV RECOMMENDS: TMV RECOMMENDS: TMV RECOMMENDS:

Adverts

Board footer