TMV Partners

You are not logged in.

Announcement

GO HERE: www.TheModernVocalistWorld.com

ATTENTION TMV WORLD FORUM MEMBERS! YOU NEED TO GO LOGIN AND/OR REGISTER AT THE NEW AND IMPROVED TMV WORLD FORUM SYSTEM.

CLICK THIS LINK TO GO TO THE NEW FORUM. WHEN YOU ARRIVE AT THE NEW FORUM, LOGIN OR REGISTER AND THEN CLICK ON "GETTING STARTED". ALL OF THE POSTS AND TOPICS HAVE BEEN MIGRATED OVER AND EXISTING MEMBERS WILL BE LINKED BACK TO ALL THEIR POSTS IN THE NEW SYSTEM AFTER YOU LOGIN.

www.TheModernVocalistWorld.com

IF YOU ARE A NEW VISITOR THAT JUST JOINED US, YOU ARE INVITED TO COME OVER TO OUR NEW FORUM SYSTEM. CLICK THIS LINK TO GO THERE AND REGISTER.

www.TheModernVocalistWorld.com

Adverts

• Index
  •  » Recording
  •  » What kind of voice gear do you recommend for a small room?

#1 2013-06-24 03:08:23

SammyGia
TMV Forum Member
What kind of voice gear do you recommend for a small room?

Hi, this is my first post on here so please don't be bite me. I'm not a "vocalist" I'm a voice artists but I need help with my problema.

I've been doing voice work off and on since my last year of college. It started out as just something I did and turned into something I learned to love. I have a cozy little spare room in my townhouse. It's too small for a bed room but it's perfect maybe to make into a voice room/computer room. It's about the size of a full bathroom. It was the houses old laundry room so if you've ever been in one you know space is tight. I have a long table I stuffed in there that I set my computer up on already. My equipment thus far I have a pair of Alesis M1's,old fasttrack box, ancient copy of protools (which I'm still learning  ) and my K240's which I use for recording and doing edits. I have only 1 mic that I use it's a AT2020 that was given to me.  I used to record my voice work in a coat space so I was more confined before. In my room now I noticed when I do record myself I hear my voice bouncing off the walls, especially if I'm yelling a line. I try to edit it with pt but it makes my voice sound so off form how it usually is.

Someone else recommended I try using foam on my walls but I'm afraid of gluing things to my wall that will go against my lease otherwise I wouldn't care so much. I did find some things on amazon for voice work "harlan porta booth plus" and the "Soundkitz AE-F" http://www.soundkitz.com/aef_acoustic_e … system.htm and the porta booth looks like it might work but it also looks kind of big maybe too big for my desk. The AE-F looks cool as well I think it says you can use it with a table stand which is how I like recording.  I don't mind buying either one to try but I also want to know what stuff you guys might recommend that I missed? Some people also told me about using quilts or and sound pads. When I record voice I don't sound like I'm in the middle of a forest somewhere but I do sound like I'm yelling on a mountain top listening to my voice ripple. It's so weird trying to describe. You guys probably need more sound stuff than me since I just make voices (easier said than done) but what are yo guys using and how do you have your work spaces set up?

2013-06-24 03:08:23

AdBot
Advertisements

#2 2013-06-25 13:15:18

FelipeCarvalho
TMV Forum Member
Website

Re: What kind of voice gear do you recommend for a small room?

Hi Sammy,

Reflections on a small room can be messy to deal with. The key spots to improve the overall accoustic state of a room are the corners, the points where the 2 walls meet the ceilling more specifically (4 corners).

You surely dont need to cover all walls with special foam (a very poor idea).

On these corners, a cheap and efficient solution are rockwool panels. Medium density, wrapped in cloth like a pillow. If you check the internet you will find instructions on how to build some very nice ones with a frame in wood and stuff. Just be carefull when handling rockwool, wear gloves and glasses and long cloths to protect your arms and legs (it can be itchy).

Other procedures are simple things like a floor mat, a book shelf behind you (filled with books), or courtain on the window.

Think on random simple and common things, besides the rockwool on corners, don't do symmetric things and keep opposite walls “different”. If one is flat, the opposite has a book sheft, for example.

This should keep the room sounding natural and kill the stationary waves without having to cover the walls with any material (you will just need a simple way to fix the rockwool in place, it does not need to be glued over the wall). And the result will be much better than an attempt to simply insulate the mic from the room space with shielding.

Last edited by FelipeCarvalho (2013-06-25 13:30:03)

#3 2013-06-26 00:57:08

Owen Korzec
TMV Forum Member
Website

Felipe's advice is good.

I would add, for a small room, see if you can get a mic that isn't very sensitive. The 2020 probably is and that would mean picking up more room ring. Since it's going to be hard to fully acoustically treat that room in an affordable and efficient manner you're going to have to also do the best you can minimizing the room's effect. So consider looking for a new mic, look at the specs and get something not very sensitive. Maybe a dynamic mic. Even an sm58 might be better in that kind of room than the 2020.

Also mic technique. In a tiny room you'll want to get as close to it as possible. Use a low cut filter or eq out the proximity effect in the mix.

Then add a little short reverb in the mix if necessary. If you decide to add compression, be sure not to set it with a threshold too low or release time too quick or else it will increase the room sound.

One more thing, where you are placed in the room. A good starting point is: 38% of the way away from a wall with the mic facing the wall further away and overall the angle not lined up precisely...if it looks like you just randomly put the mic stand somewhere in the room that tends to be an acoustically flatter position. But ultimately you will want to talk into the mic and monitor it, throw on a delay effect with the feedback on 0 so you can wait and then hear just the signal. And as you check it, move around the mic until you find a spot where it sounds good. The science of the 38% and whatnot can get you in the ballpark but ultimately trial and error and listening is the only way to figure out the sweet spot of your room.

This all being said I am lucky to have a very large room to record everything in, so I can't quite speak from experience on this matter, just what I've researched.

Last edited by Owen Korzec (2013-06-26 01:04:14)

#4 2013-06-29 22:28:53

ronws
TMV Forum Member

I can go real cheap for you, Sammy.

Go to a fabric store or hobby store that sells fabric. You can buy stuff by the yard, like a few dollars a yard. A yard is 3 feet. So, measure the walls. Let's say 6 yards. Buy felt, or something thick that is on sale. You might spend as much as $15 to $20. And a few more dollars on a box of thumb tacks to pin it up to the wall. (prices are USD.)

Others are right, you do not have to buy special foam.

But you can also get foam at the hobby store and it is also really cheap and even more sound absorbant than fabric. For that, you would probably need trim nails, like you would find at a home improvement store. Still costing about the same. Just realize, that with foam, the room will hold heat. That is, the room will feel "warmer" to your skin.

I was watching segments from the "Roth Show." Here's a world reknown rock star, David Lee Roth, warming up and cutting takes with a few metal racks that have blankets draped over them.

Being on a budget or not just means using imagination.

Last edited by ronws (2013-06-29 22:29:23)

"When the daylight is rising up in my eyes ..." - Klaus Meine

• Index
  •  » Recording
  •  » What kind of voice gear do you recommend for a small room?
OTHER TMV WEB SITES: TMV RECOMMENDS: TMV RECOMMENDS: TMV RECOMMENDS:

Adverts

Board footer