TMV Partners

You are not logged in.

Announcement

GO HERE: www.TheModernVocalistWorld.com

ATTENTION TMV WORLD FORUM MEMBERS! YOU NEED TO GO LOGIN AND/OR REGISTER AT THE NEW AND IMPROVED TMV WORLD FORUM SYSTEM.

CLICK THIS LINK TO GO TO THE NEW FORUM. WHEN YOU ARRIVE AT THE NEW FORUM, LOGIN OR REGISTER AND THEN CLICK ON "GETTING STARTED". ALL OF THE POSTS AND TOPICS HAVE BEEN MIGRATED OVER AND EXISTING MEMBERS WILL BE LINKED BACK TO ALL THEIR POSTS IN THE NEW SYSTEM AFTER YOU LOGIN.

www.TheModernVocalistWorld.com

IF YOU ARE A NEW VISITOR THAT JUST JOINED US, YOU ARE INVITED TO COME OVER TO OUR NEW FORUM SYSTEM. CLICK THIS LINK TO GO THERE AND REGISTER.

www.TheModernVocalistWorld.com

Adverts

#1 2013-05-13 12:26:23

muzza
TMV Forum Member
Best vocal microphone for guitarist (using a stand)

Hello. New member. First post. I have been taking singing lessons for about a year. (I thought I'd be much better than I am by now) I'll be posting in the critique section very soon.

Anyway, I don't like my SM58 - it makes me sound muddier than I already am. When I'm singing, (solo or duo) I'm also playing acoustic guitar, so my head is moving around looking at the guitar neck, looking at the cheat sheet, looking at the pedals - so I sometimes drift away from the microphone. I'm looking for a replacement for the SM58 that has a pretty consistent sound if I'm slightly off axis.

The mics I've had suggested are dynamics and are all cardioid. (in order of my preference taking my limited microphone education into account)
1) Rode M1
2) Sennheisser e840
3) AKG D5

My understanding is that the hyper-cardioid and super-cardioid mics have an even narrower 'sweet spot'. (If that's the right term?)

Then someone suggested getting a condenser mic - as I'm not going to be in a loud venue and therefore no need to compete to be heard.

I was deep in microphone limbo before, was climbing out, now I'm back in limbo again, but deeper.

Oh, another thing. I often play with a harmonica rack, (ala Neil Young / Bob Dylan) so I use a foam pop filter (?) to prevent the metal on metal sound when the harp comes in contact with the mic, which is often.

I'm in Australia and the 3 dynamic mics mentioned above can all be had for around $150 or slightly less. I'm willing to go higher if the right microphone is identified for my needs.

Anyway, thanks for having me - any and all suggestions welcomed.

Last edited by muzza (2013-05-13 12:31:53)

2013-05-13 12:26:23

AdBot
Advertisements

#2 2013-05-26 14:01:13

muzza
TMV Forum Member
Re: Best vocal microphone for guitarist (using a stand)

[crickets]Helloooo???[/crickets]

#3 2013-05-27 00:47:27

buzzardwhiskey
TMV Forum Member

Hello. This is my first post.

I am a singer who plays acoustic guitar. I also set up sound systems for bands that come through. I've used lots of mics and lots of gear.

It's really hard to say what mic you'll enjoy. Finding one that you'll end up really making your own takes time. You have to discover what you really like. And there's no "right answer".

I own the Rode M1, and I've used the AGK D5 several times. I've not used that Senn.

The M1 is a direct competitor for the venerable Shure SM58. It's got a "dry" kind of tone, a pretty flat response. It's very easy to use and I'd give it pretty high marks for its price. It does not "cut through" very well. There's no bloom in the mids. It requires a fair amount of gain.

The D5 has a sharper cut. In some ways it's more difficult to use because its sweet spot is smaller. In my opinion, the EV N/D 767a is a better, juicier mic built for that same same sort of purpose.

Another mic in same price ball park that I enjoy is the Blue enCORE 100. Easy to use. Very good sound.

When you switch over to condensers, you buy a lot "air" and a higher level of accuracy. You also get some difficulties, but if you're working in fairly quiet venues then I think they're worth the extra bucks. I'm a singer first and I really prefer condensers.

There are three or four you might consider that are all in the $250 range: Audio Technica AE3300, Senn e865, AKG C 535 EB, Audix VX5.

Good luck!

Last edited by buzzardwhiskey (2013-05-27 00:48:01)

#4 2013-05-27 13:12:33

ronws
TMV Forum Member

I got my Senn e835 on ebay for $74.99, free shipping, making it about half of retail.

It has a fairly tight pattern so it should handheld or aimed on a gooseneck holder.

"When the daylight is rising up in my eyes ..." - Klaus Meine

#5 2013-05-28 09:09:48

muzza
TMV Forum Member

buzzardwhiskey wrote:

In my opinion, the EV N/D 767a is a better, juicier mic built for that same same sort of purpose.

I read the following on a review of the 767a...
"On lead vocalists I think it has fantastic clarity and a natural sound. Downside: the pickup pattern is so tight, that if you use it on a backing singer that tends to look down at their guitar neck a lot, their vocal levels are in and out with their head movements."

Sounds like its exactly what I DON'T want...

#6 2013-05-28 12:18:50

buzzardwhiskey
TMV Forum Member

muzza wrote:

buzzardwhiskey wrote:

In my opinion, the EV N/D 767a is a better, juicier mic built for that same same sort of purpose.

I read the following on a review of the 767a...
"On lead vocalists I think it has fantastic clarity and a natural sound. Downside: the pickup pattern is so tight, that if you use it on a backing singer that tends to look down at their guitar neck a lot, their vocal levels are in and out with their head movements."

Sounds like its exactly what I DON'T want...

Then you'll probably want to stay away from supercardioid mics like the 767a and D5. The trait they share is a double edged sword. Not much stage noise (it won't even pick up your guitar much), but you need a little better technique than cardioid models.

buzzardwhiskey

#7 2013-05-28 12:28:25

muzza
TMV Forum Member

That's what I tried to explain in my original post.

When I play the guitar while singing my mouth isn't always in the ideal position in relation to the mic as I often need to look and the neck/my hand.

I think I'd already ruled out supercardioid and hypercardioid for this reason. (BTW, I was under the impression that AKG D5 is cardioid and D7 is supercardioid)

Since writing my original post, someone has suggested a Rode M3 condenser mic, as it would be a good all-rounder (on stage and home studio) as I'm not in a loud band situation, mainly open mics either solo or in a duet.

#8 2013-05-28 15:50:54

buzzardwhiskey
TMV Forum Member

Oh, sorry. I didn't read your initial post well enough. :)

The AKG D5 is supercardioid. It's a little bit more forgiving than the EV 767a, but not much.

I haven't used the Rode M3, but it looks interesting (somewhat unusual). Another condenser you might consider (other than the four I've suggested above) is the Blue enCORE300. It's gotten some good reviews and I like their other offerings.

#9 2013-11-14 12:38:31

Audiofan
TMV Forum Member

Perhaps you might also like to consider these (if it's not late):  http://en.audiofanzine.com/condenser-mi … -200e.html

#10 2013-11-24 00:37:03

TimmyP1955
TMV Forum Member

Audiofan wrote:

Perhaps you might also like to consider these (if it's not late):  http://en.audiofanzine.com/condenser-mi … -200e.html

Likely not a good choice for live use.

OTHER TMV WEB SITES: TMV RECOMMENDS: TMV RECOMMENDS: TMV RECOMMENDS:

Adverts

Board footer