TMV Partners

You are not logged in.

Announcement

GO HERE: www.TheModernVocalistWorld.com

ATTENTION TMV WORLD FORUM MEMBERS! YOU NEED TO GO LOGIN AND/OR REGISTER AT THE NEW AND IMPROVED TMV WORLD FORUM SYSTEM.

CLICK THIS LINK TO GO TO THE NEW FORUM. WHEN YOU ARRIVE AT THE NEW FORUM, LOGIN OR REGISTER AND THEN CLICK ON "GETTING STARTED". ALL OF THE POSTS AND TOPICS HAVE BEEN MIGRATED OVER AND EXISTING MEMBERS WILL BE LINKED BACK TO ALL THEIR POSTS IN THE NEW SYSTEM AFTER YOU LOGIN.

www.TheModernVocalistWorld.com

IF YOU ARE A NEW VISITOR THAT JUST JOINED US, YOU ARE INVITED TO COME OVER TO OUR NEW FORUM SYSTEM. CLICK THIS LINK TO GO THERE AND REGISTER.

www.TheModernVocalistWorld.com

Adverts

#101 2010-06-01 12:49:52

jonpall
TMV Forum Member

Re: VIDEO HERE (Bob's) magic moments

Snax, I don't have the time right now, and frankly, not really enough knowledge, to record a really good way to teach rasp in the middle part of the voice, as currently, I don't know enough what's going on in my voice when I create these sounds. But adding rasp in the middle part of my voice (say, up to about E4 or so) has come very natural for me for several years now. But you could try combining the two CVT modes, overdrive and curbing, as I talk about here: http://www.box.net/shared/4z89u11t3g. I don't know, maybe that could help you. Cheers, man!

2010-06-01 12:49:52

AdBot
Advertisements

#102 2010-06-01 12:56:50

Snax
TMV Forum Member
Website

I'm thinking that for me the tricky area is around the passagio. My mid range grit has one set up and my Brian johnson higher grit has it's own set up. How on earth do I sing freely between the two? lol

"GIDDYUP!"

#103 2010-06-01 13:12:29

jonpall
TMV Forum Member

Try doing slides that start on a high note and then decend through your passagio, with the rasp on all the time. You'll have to gradually add vocal weight as you go down, otherwise you'll get too heady in the middle part of your voice.  Also, try sustaining some long notes right in the middle of your passagio and a bit higher and a bit lower, both with and without grit. It's hard but you should get better at it. But singing like this IS hard. You've got to train a lot to get the results you want. F.ex. Ken Tamplin says that he still trains his voice 1-2 hours a day in order to keep his voice in great shape. His cousin, Sammy Hagar, does pretty much the same because he said that the secret to singing like he does is to sing a lot every day and never stop - to think of this as a marathon runner!

#104 2010-06-01 17:48:53

analog
TMV Forum Member

Jonpall and Jens...kick ass examples!

#105 2010-06-01 18:50:34

VIDEOHERE
Administrator

jens and jonpall, thanks a whole lot.
i really apprecaite your taking the time to help me.

when i get a warmed up today i will record an attempt and send it over...i see how to do it. thanks again. that kind of sound is a rarely used by me, but it can only expand my bag of tricks as they say..

#106 2010-06-05 00:06:09

VIDEOHERE
Administrator

hi folks

here's a guy i always loved..he can seemlessly float in and out of falsetto and stay so true to tone. notice the way he transitions so smoothly as to be hardly perceptible (and it's live too).

the "magic" is throughout the song

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3qna9n4Ba18

#107 2010-06-05 15:04:23

chele1000
TMV Forum Member

Hi Bob,

As for Bobby Vinton, Mr. Lonely, It's my opinion that he's going into head voice and not falsetto.  I can do what he's doing but my difficulty lies in the transition part and keeping control there (especially if the whole song falls into that range for me).

As for Steve Tyler...well....like I've said before, he's had 25 years to master his sound and being a bad boy!  lol...  I think you're right that he's in the moment and goes for it.  Alot of time, that's where the 'magic' comes in.  When cutting an album (CD - whatever these days) some pros do take after take after take until it's the way they want it to be!
cheers!
ps..is my exercise helping you?

#108 2010-06-05 17:44:57

VIDEOHERE
Administrator

chele1000 wrote:

Hi Bob,

As for Bobby Vinton, Mr. Lonely, It's my opinion that he's going into head voice and not falsetto.  I can do what he's doing but my difficulty lies in the transition part and keeping control there (especially if the whole song falls into that range for me).

As for Steve Tyler...well....like I've said before, he's had 25 years to master his sound and being a bad boy!  lol...  I think you're right that he's in the moment and goes for it.  Alot of time, that's where the 'magic' comes in.  When cutting an album (CD - whatever these days) some pros do take after take after take until it's the way they want it to be!
cheers!

yes they are. thank you.

#109 2010-06-05 17:47:37

VIDEOHERE
Administrator

VIDEOHERE wrote:

chele1000 wrote:

Hi Bob,

cheers!

yes they are. thank you.

oh yes, michelle...i meant to say head. thanks

#110 2010-06-17 05:28:20

kalapoka
TMV Forum Member

Kelly Clarkson singing 'Beautiful Disaster' - Acapella. A tough song even with accompaniment - she does it beautifully with only her voice.
IMO the whole song is magic. Sorry if I seem to be a fanboy...I AM :)

#111 2010-06-17 05:42:14

kalapoka
TMV Forum Member

A "Performance" magic moment by Kelly at 1:26 -

#112 2010-06-17 09:31:14

ronws
TMV Forum Member

I like Kelly, too.

"When the daylight is rising up in my eyes ..." - Klaus Meine

#113 2010-06-18 01:41:10

VIDEOHERE
Administrator

kalapoka wrote:

Kelly Clarkson singing 'Beautiful Disaster' - Acapella. A tough song even with accompaniment - she does it beautifully with only her voice.
IMO the whole song is magic. Sorry if I seem to be a fanboy...I AM :)

absolutely one of my favs, hands down!!! thanks for posting.

#114 2010-06-18 09:23:57

ronws
TMV Forum Member

And kudos to her for wearing a Eurythmics t-shirt.

#115 2010-06-18 23:43:40

ronws
TMV Forum Member

Of course I love this song. Elvis Costello at his finest. But I really dig the drums. They are so fresh and driving.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-3ZXdvN3 … re=related

#116 2010-06-21 10:58:50

kalapoka
TMV Forum Member

I am sure everyone here has seen this, but I just gotta post this. Its orgasmic - everyone and more we talk about in this forum are in this one song. Possible only because of the great Ronnie J. Dio -

All of it is magic, but I have chills down my spine when Geoff Tate and Don Dokken sings 2 phrases one after another. Magic Squared!!!!!

#117 2010-06-21 22:09:35

HolaChau
TMV Forum Member

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_CniXIMb0oo

Witch singer do you prefer?

#118 2010-06-21 22:48:26

ronws
TMV Forum Member

Oh, great wonders of serendipidty, Kalapoka. I don't know if I can make you believe that I was thinking of this very video today, at work. And here, you brought it to us.

It was great, seeing it again. This was mostly the brainchild of Ronnie James Dio but it was nice to see props given to guitarists, from Yngwie Malmsteen to the under-appreciated and underrated George Lynch (Dokken). I would have given anything to be a fly on the wall of that recording and to be in the presence of metal greatness.

Also, I noticed, there were Michael McKean and Harry Shearer from "This is Spinal Tap" in there, which is only right. Those guys really do sing.

Gracias, Amigo, for bringing that to us.

Last edited by ronws (2010-06-21 23:10:50)

#119 2010-06-21 23:07:08

ronws
TMV Forum Member

I wanted to show the "Kickapoo" segment from the movie "Pick of Destiny." It features a cameo of Ronnie James Dio. And it also really highlighted the range and timbres of actor Jack Black, as well as a phenomonal performance by Meatloaf but the language is rough and I wasn't sure if I could link it here.

Anyway, this was another of my Tenacious D favorites. Wait until you see the end of it, which is not long.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oLOzKtSu … re=related

After this video, the next in line is the Kickapoo sequence but I, again, warn that there is strong language in it.

Last edited by ronws (2010-06-21 23:09:25)

#120 2010-06-21 23:22:34

HolaChau
TMV Forum Member

Jack Black is great! Listen to Master Exploder http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=80DtQD5BQ_A how much sutdio editing do you think is there? They never play it live, they just synch it, but I think he is really able to do that. Tribute is also great http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=suXpucoTWNY

#121 2010-06-22 05:44:15

kalapoka
TMV Forum Member

ronws wrote:

Oh, great wonders of serendipidty, Kalapoka. I don't know if I can make you believe that I was thinking of this very video today, at work. And here, you brought it to us.

It was great, seeing it again. This was mostly the brainchild of Ronnie James Dio but it was nice to see props given to guitarists, from Yngwie Malmsteen to the under-appreciated and underrated George Lynch (Dokken). I would have given anything to be a fly on the wall of that recording and to be in the presence of metal greatness.

Also, I noticed, there were Michael McKean and Harry Shearer from "This is Spinal Tap" in there, which is only right. Those guys really do sing.

Gracias, Amigo, for bringing that to us.

Haha I believe you!! This is just a great song too and seeing all these singers AS well as guitarists together is just a treat. Small trivia - in 2008 I loved this song and video because of all the guitarists and solo. in 2010 I love the song for the singers too :). Paradigm shift!!!

you are welcome and thanks for appreciating!

#122 2010-06-22 05:47:30

kalapoka
TMV Forum Member

HolaChau wrote:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_CniXIMb0oo

Witch singer do you prefer?

Oh Holachu, no offense, but this one is a miss with me. I really don't like DT that much ( can't stand their sound after the Scenes from a Memory album) and I absolutely disliked this whole performance. Dimebag (RIP in Heaven) is someone I LOVE and RESPECT and I think this performance by every one on the stage falls short.

Sorry.

#123 2010-06-23 10:57:20

jonpall
TMV Forum Member

IMO, this is one of Brian Johson's best vocal performances ever. He's just soooo powerful in this, relatively unknown song from AC/DC's Family Jewels album, "Who made who":

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gQDz1hbNh6A

The magic moment is the minute the vocals kick in at the start :)  What I wouldn't do to possess that power! The groove of this song is also awesome. It's quite an underrated song :)

#124 2010-06-23 17:02:18

VIDEOHERE
Administrator

jonpall wrote:

IMO, this is one of Brian Johson's best vocal performances ever. He's just soooo powerful in this, relatively unknown song from AC/DC's Family Jewels album, "Who made who":

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gQDz1hbNh6A

The magic moment is the minute the vocals kick in at the start :)  What I wouldn't do to possess that power! The groove of this song is also awesome. It's quite an underrated song :)

jonpall, great vocal, no question

...but are we certain that vocal is actually "powerful?"  I tend to think that sound is heavily amplified and of lighter volume than we think.

#125 2010-06-23 21:33:43

VIDEOHERE
Administrator

Here's another magic moment. Besides my desire to have multiple-position coitus with her (lol), i am amazed by her power and her skill with mouth manipulations to produce such jaw dropping resonance. that women is working!!!! I'd love to have her do a rock album. keep your eyes on her mouth. i actually felt an emotional reaction to that song. did you? 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x0Y0WB0FWeQ

#126 2010-06-24 05:42:44

kalapoka
TMV Forum Member

VIDEOHERE wrote:

... my desire to have multiple-position coitus with her

... Exactly the way I feel about Kelly Clarkson :D!

I Love this song by Martina. Really really amazing songwriting. Just love it. Have you noticed her mic technique in this performance (esp. in the chorus)? She really is amazing and so beautiful.

Kudos.

#127 2010-06-24 11:24:26

joshual
TMV Forum Member

Sorry to interrupt your testosterone guys lol but here a song i just love! The singing is quite amazing. the tone is fantastic. Tell me what do you think

Richie Kotzen singing of course lol

#128 2010-06-24 19:03:48

VIDEOHERE
Administrator

kalapoka wrote:

VIDEOHERE wrote:

I Love this song by Martina. Really really amazing songwriting. Just love it. Have you noticed her mic technique in this performance (esp. in the chorus)? She really is amazing and so beautiful.

Kudos.

hey kal, how do you highlight just a specific sentence to reply to a quote? i click on "quote" and the whole thing comes up.

#129 2010-06-24 20:08:13

kalapoka
TMV Forum Member

VIDEOHERE wrote:

kalapoka wrote:

VIDEOHERE wrote:

Kudos.

hey kal, how do you highlight just a specific sentence to reply to a quote? i click on "quote" and the whole thing comes up.

oh its easy...you see the codes that appear at the very beginning and the very end of the post that you want to quote? It looks like [ ] with quote and /quote written inside. What you do is leave them in the beginning and end, and delete what you want to delete from the post you are quoting from.

was that clear enough?

#130 2010-06-24 20:51:27

VIDEOHERE
Administrator

[oh its easy...you see the codes that appear at the very beginning and the very end of the post that you want to quote? It looks like [ ] with quote and /quote written inside. What you do is leave them in the beginning and end, and delete what you want to delete from the post you are quoting from.]

testing? i asked ron too, because i couldn't tell if i sent this.

#131 2010-06-24 20:54:36

VIDEOHERE
Administrator

VIDEOHERE wrote:

[oh its easy...you see the codes that appear at the very beginning and the very end of the post that you want to quote? It looks like [ ] with quote and /quote written inside. What you do is leave them in the beginning and end, and delete what you want to delete from the post you are quoting from.]

okay, did that...now how do i highlight the quote?

#132 2010-06-24 22:27:36

ronws
TMV Forum Member

For quoting only what I want to refer to in a message, I delete in side the quote and /quote area.

#133 2010-06-24 23:09:07

Steven Fraser
Charter Member of TMV Voice Council

VIDEOHERE wrote:

VIDEOHERE wrote:

Bob: you left-click at the beginning or end of the text, and swipe your cursor over the text you want to highlight.  Then, press the B button (just above the smiley icons).  that puts b and /b in brackets around your text.  Those are the code letters that indicate that your browser should bold the text.  I used them on your quote above.

Last edited by Steven Fraser (2010-06-24 23:11:04)

Best Regards,

Steven Fraser

#134 2010-06-26 17:55:25

ronws
TMV Forum Member

One of my favorite all time voices, and certainly my favorite female voice. Sarah Brightman. She has sang stuff with a few higher notes but this song is so inspiring. And she's easy to look at, too. She was formerly married to Andrew Weber. I can't remember now when I first heard her but my first and lasting impression was perfection. I have now heard the perfect voice and can die in peace, was my thought at the time.

Often, my days at work are in grueling circumstances physically. Often having to work with people who spend as much energy being crappy to each other as they might in actually doing the work. And often, one finds it seldom to have a workmate that has a cultural level above "Beavis and Butthead," though I am not knocking that show.

Lee and I could be working in a ditch and quoting Shakespeare to each other, though I bastardize the Bard's prose.

"To be or not to be? That is the question. Whether 'tis nobler in the mind to suffer the slings and arrows of outrageous fortune or to glue another stick of pipe together..."

"Behold ... what light through yonder window breaks? Is it the sun in the east, or Juliette? Nope, just a temporary light. Oh well ..."

Anyway, after a day of grinding out a living in the dirt and hearing incessant mariachi music and putting up with some of the crassest behavior from fellow workers, I would de-compress on the way home with Sarah Brightman to the point where I was nearly human again, though I smelled like a beast of the field, not surprising since the beginning of any building starts out in the dirt and we are often working in what was, until recently, a cow pasture. I am a beast of the field, on the highway to hell, and her voice is that of an angel. To this day, I still get goose bumps and misty-eyed.

"Time to Say Goodbye" from Sarah Brightman.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3uyEn792JuM

Last edited by ronws (2010-06-26 18:04:18)

#135 2010-06-26 18:01:39

VIDEOHERE
Administrator

Steven Fraser wrote:

VIDEOHERE wrote:

VIDEOHERE wrote:

Bob: you left-click at the beginning or end of the text, and swipe your cursor over the text you want to highlight.  Then, press the B button (just above the smiley icons).  that puts b and /b in brackets around your text.  Those are the code letters that indicate that your browser should bold the text.  I used them on your quote above.

testing

#136 2010-06-26 18:02:47

VIDEOHERE
Administrator

ronws wrote:

One of my favorite all time voices, and certainly my favorite female voice. Sarah Brightman. She has sang stuff with a few higher notes but this song is so inspiring. And she's easy to look at, too. She was formerly married to Andrew Weber. I can't remember now when I first heard her but my first and lasting impression was perfection. I have now heard the perfect voice and can die in peace, was my thought at the time.

Often, my days at work are in grueling circumstances physically. Often having to work with people who spend as much energy being crappy to each other as they might in actually doing the work. And often, one finds it seldom to have a workmate that has a cultural above "Beavis and Butthead," though I am not knocking that show.

Lee and I could be working in a ditch and quoting Shakespeare to each other, though I bastardize the Bard's prose.

"To be or not to be? That is the question. Whether 'tis nobler in the mind to suffer the slings and arrows of outrageous fortune or to glue another stick of pipe together..."

"Behold ... what light through yonder window breaks? Is it the sun in the east, or Juliette? Nope, just a temporary light. Oh well ..."

Anyway, after a day of grinding out a living in the dirt and hearing incessant mariachi music and putting up some of the crassest behavior from fellow workers, I would de-compress on the way home with Sarah Brightman to the point where I was nearly human again, though I smelled like a beast of the field, not surprising since the beginning of any building starts out in the dirt and we are often working in what was, until recently, a cow pasture.

i agree

#137 2010-06-26 18:05:59

ronws
TMV Forum Member

VIDEOHERE wrote:

ronws wrote:

One of my favorite all time voices, and certainly my favorite female voice. Sarah Brightman. She has sang stuff with a few higher notes but this song is so inspiring. And she's easy to look at, too. She was formerly married to Andrew Weber. I can't remember now when I first heard her but my first and lasting impression was...

i agree

Well done, grasshopper. Now, you may leave the temple.

#138 2010-06-26 18:06:29

VIDEOHERE
Administrator

VIDEOHERE wrote:

Steven Fraser wrote:

VIDEOHERE wrote:

testing

steve, i still get the whole quote instead of a partial quote

i highlighted the text, hit the "b" then hit "quote"

trying to get just a portion to highlight..i feel a little stupid asking again...can you write the sequence of steps
maybe i'm not inserting my reply in the correct area?

#139 2010-06-26 20:10:29

VIDEOHERE
Administrator

ronws wrote:

Often, my days at work are in grueling circumstances physically. Often having to work with people who spend as much energy being crappy to each other as they might in actually doing the work. And often, one finds it seldom to have a workmate that has a cultural level above "Beavis and Butthead," though I am not knocking that show.

Anyway, after a day of grinding out a living in the dirt and hearing incessant mariachi music and putting up with some of the crassest behavior from fellow workers, I would de-compress on the way home with Sarah Brightman to the point where I was nearly human again, though I smelled like a beast of the field, not surprising since the beginning of any building starts out in the dirt and we are often working in what was, until recently, a cow pasture. I am a beast of the field, on the highway to hell, and her voice is that of an angel. To this day, I still get goose bumps and misty-eyed.

hey ron, enjoy!!!! hope you're not afraid of heights!! (lol)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h1rfA9nMhqY

#140 2010-06-26 22:57:52

ronws
TMV Forum Member

Angels can fly!

"Only one sweet moment set aside for us ..."

Thanks for linking this. It's one of my favorite queen songs. It reminds me of my first wife, Deidre.

If I may take liberty, I dedicate this performance to Deidre Lynn Stone, December 19, 1962 to July 28, 1992.

I'll see you again, some time.

#141 2010-06-27 01:18:35

HolaChau
TMV Forum Member

VIDEOHERE wrote:

trying to get just a portion to highlight..i feel a little stupid asking again...can you write the sequence of steps

When you click on quote you will be in the box where you write , you will see something like this

[ quote]the text to quote here[ /quote]

Let's say you want to only quote "the text to", you have to delete the rest, you will end up with:

[ quote]the text to[ /quote]

ANd of course you can do what Steven said about using "B" to bold a word or phrase

Last edited by HolaChau (2010-06-27 01:19:28)

#142 2010-06-28 21:31:46

VIDEOHERE
Administrator

ronws wrote:

I dedicate this performance to Deidre Lynn Stone, December 19, 1962 to July 28, 1992..

ron, sorry buddy.

#143 2010-06-28 21:38:48

VIDEOHERE
Administrator

HolaChau wrote:

VIDEOHERE wrote:

When you click on quote you will be in the box where you write , you will see something like this

[ quote]the text to quote here[ /quote]

Let's say you want to only quote "the text to", you have to delete the rest, you will end up with:

[ quote]the text to[ /quote]

ANd of course you can do what Steven said about using "B" to bold a word or phrase

thank you....i see now (thanks to you too ron)

#144 2010-06-29 00:29:25

ronws
TMV Forum Member

VIDEOHERE wrote:

ronws wrote:

I dedicate this performance to Deidre Lynn Stone, December 19, 1962 to July 28, 1992..

ron, sorry buddy.

Thanks. I didn't mean to drag anyone down. She is in a good place, now. That I know nigh unto a fact, without getting too religious or mystical or getting into a side topic. But this is the thread for magic moments.

#145 2010-06-29 00:53:32

ronws
TMV Forum Member

Another magic moment from Jack Black. From the movie "School of Rock". It begins with "Long Way to the Top" by AC/DC as an encore and leads into the ending scenes and credits and quintessential Jack Black craziness.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9XqSyucABpo

#146 2010-07-08 00:38:52

VIDEOHERE
Administrator

proof positive of the beauty and carrying power of resonance!!!

http://www.youtube.com/atenordelaopera

#147 2010-07-08 04:38:00

kalapoka
TMV Forum Member

I never thought I would hear Michael Matijevic from some one else's voice, but here it is:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jyD1z2Ke … eature=sub

#148 2010-07-08 05:29:27

kalapoka
TMV Forum Member

...and this is Michael Matijevic, Mili for those of us who love him and can feel a kick in our nuts when we hear him sing. The song is Sheila, the first one I heard from Steelheart. Magic moments are from 3:28. MAGICEST moment is at 4:23. Figure THAT note out!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VPJOWdX6L5M

#149 2010-07-08 18:34:35

Jens
TMV Forum Member

haha kalapoka, you see that guy playing guitar. He looks exactly like me!

#150 2010-07-08 18:46:34

VIDEOHERE
Administrator

kalapoka wrote:

...and this is Michael Matijevic, Mili for those of us who love him and can feel a kick in our nuts when we hear him sing. The song is Sheila, the first one I heard from Steelheart. Magic moments are from 3:28. MAGICEST moment is at 4:23. Figure THAT note out!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VPJOWdX6L5M

i guess we all have our own vocal goals and while i respect your apprecaition for this type of singing,
i cannot (guess i'm older) equate this with anything great.
the gum in his mouth or whatever the hell he was chewing on was for what pupose?
gees!!!!

OTHER TMV WEB SITES: TMV RECOMMENDS: TMV RECOMMENDS: TMV RECOMMENDS:

Adverts

Board footer