TMV Partners

You are not logged in.

Announcement

GO HERE: www.TheModernVocalistWorld.com

ATTENTION TMV WORLD FORUM MEMBERS! YOU NEED TO GO LOGIN AND/OR REGISTER AT THE NEW AND IMPROVED TMV WORLD FORUM SYSTEM.

CLICK THIS LINK TO GO TO THE NEW FORUM. WHEN YOU ARRIVE AT THE NEW FORUM, LOGIN OR REGISTER AND THEN CLICK ON "GETTING STARTED". ALL OF THE POSTS AND TOPICS HAVE BEEN MIGRATED OVER AND EXISTING MEMBERS WILL BE LINKED BACK TO ALL THEIR POSTS IN THE NEW SYSTEM AFTER YOU LOGIN.

www.TheModernVocalistWorld.com

IF YOU ARE A NEW VISITOR THAT JUST JOINED US, YOU ARE INVITED TO COME OVER TO OUR NEW FORUM SYSTEM. CLICK THIS LINK TO GO THERE AND REGISTER.

www.TheModernVocalistWorld.com

Adverts

• Index
  •  » Microphones
  •  » ( NEW VOCALIST) Need Some Help With Choosing And Using Microphones

#1 2013-04-10 08:14:07

Andrew0426
TMV Forum Member
( NEW VOCALIST) Need Some Help With Choosing And Using Microphones

Hello I'm Andrew :)

I have been doing death metal and pop punk vocals for three years now. And I have yet to buy a MIC.
Well I am now a vocalist in two bands. I'm in a heavy Deathcore/Djent/Prog band and also a Pop Punk/Easycore band. Well I need to get a Microphone and I am very confused as to what type I should get that would be good for live performance's. I'm not worried about recording because I have a friend who has a recording studio in his basement. And he has a good recording MIC.

Well I don't know if I should get a wireless MIC or one with a wire. I perfer something with a wire so I wouldn't have to keep using batteries. But I'm not sure if I need an amp and wires to hook the MIC up to. I am a total noob to this aha. So I was just wondering what would be a good cheaper MIC to start off with and what kind of equipment I would need like if I need an amp or something like that? I'm looking to maybe spend a little more than a $100 or less. The thing is I'm serious about this metal band. The guys I started it with are going to be commited as much as I am. This is my dream. LOL.

Well any advice would be greatly appreciated :)
Thank you,
Andrew :D

2013-04-10 08:14:07

AdBot
Advertisements

#2 2013-04-18 00:24:41

ronws
TMV Forum Member

Re: ( NEW VOCALIST) Need Some Help With Choosing And Using Microphones

You might want to contact our benefactor, Robert Lunte, confessed mic junkie. He has every mic that is worth having. And a wireless kit that turns any mic into a wireless, in case you decide to budget for batteries.

Just remember that some of the biggest names you have heard sing built a career on the Shure SM-58.

"When the daylight is rising up in my eyes ..." - Klaus Meine

#3 2013-04-18 00:39:54

Owen Korzec
TMV Forum Member
Website

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kuz378SbzBg

Here's a video of Robert talking about vocal gear. He starts talking about microphones at 4:00. Or, more accurately, if you're impatient, at 6:23, where he starts explaining them mic by mic.

#4 2013-04-18 23:18:00

WebAndNet.com
TMV Forum Member

Wireless mics are a lot more expensive.   For screaming death metal sounds, go with Audix OM5, wired.

Chen Sun
www.WebAndNet.com, Strategic Web Marketing
www.VocalPosture.com, currently a blog, has unique singing-related content-- posture and voice, vocal structure, ergonomics, Zen and ancient philosophies' relevance to voice.   http://Chen.WebBIZcard.com, a prototype webpage of an invention, is ready for implementation.   This is ideal for any entprepreneur wanting to create a vocalists' or musicians directory.  Thanks

#5 2013-05-04 06:57:54

TimmyP1955
TMV Forum Member

I've never been a fan of the OM5.  The 3, 6, and 7 yes.

Much as I hate to say it, you should get whatever will be in use at the rooms you play, as the monitors will be EQd for that model.  Otherwise get an OM7, as it will give you the least amount of the band in your vocal mic.

#6 2013-09-04 19:05:43

Jes Johnson
TMV Forum Member

Along with microphones, you'll also want a PA system.  Most venues will have their own, but it's still good to have(I've played quite a few house shows).  Another thing I'd suggest is making sure the microphone you get comes with an on/off switch.  I remember having major problems with feedback during one of my first gigs, and an on/off switch helps with that.  Again, this is mostly applicable to house shows.

#7 2013-09-04 19:11:48

Keith
TMV Forum Member
Website

Most good mics don't have power switches, unless they are condenser mics. A "caught box" or a gate will prove to be a better choice.

#8 2013-10-28 17:56:07

buzzardwhiskey
TMV Forum Member

If you literally like to eat the mic, the OM5 is good. If your lips only occasionally touch the mic then there are many others including the SM58, Blue enCORE 100 (my fav), Sennheiser e835.

• Index
  •  » Microphones
  •  » ( NEW VOCALIST) Need Some Help With Choosing And Using Microphones
OTHER TMV WEB SITES: TMV RECOMMENDS: TMV RECOMMENDS: TMV RECOMMENDS:

Adverts

Board footer