TMV Partners

You are not logged in.

Announcement

GO HERE: www.TheModernVocalistWorld.com

ATTENTION TMV WORLD FORUM MEMBERS! YOU NEED TO GO LOGIN AND/OR REGISTER AT THE NEW AND IMPROVED TMV WORLD FORUM SYSTEM.

CLICK THIS LINK TO GO TO THE NEW FORUM. WHEN YOU ARRIVE AT THE NEW FORUM, LOGIN OR REGISTER AND THEN CLICK ON "GETTING STARTED". ALL OF THE POSTS AND TOPICS HAVE BEEN MIGRATED OVER AND EXISTING MEMBERS WILL BE LINKED BACK TO ALL THEIR POSTS IN THE NEW SYSTEM AFTER YOU LOGIN.

www.TheModernVocalistWorld.com

IF YOU ARE A NEW VISITOR THAT JUST JOINED US, YOU ARE INVITED TO COME OVER TO OUR NEW FORUM SYSTEM. CLICK THIS LINK TO GO THERE AND REGISTER.

www.TheModernVocalistWorld.com

Adverts

#1 2010-01-29 19:18:42

Seventh Fear
TMV Forum Member
BOSS VE-20

Hi Robert

Have you seen the new BOSS VE-20 Vocal pedal look it up on youtube it's on par with the TC ones and cheeper maybe you should do a review on it ?

I've got one and am very impressed I use it live and the vocal sound I get through our PA is live cd quality..... and i'm not just saying that i mean it.;)

all the best.:cool:

2010-01-29 19:18:42

AdBot
Advertisements

#2 2010-01-30 03:51:39

Robert Lunte
TMV World Forum - Founder
Website

Re: BOSS VE-20

Hi, Yes I am very aware of it.  I saw it at NAMM and had some discussions with Roland management about it and I am very interested... indeed.  Its great that the idea of vocal pedals for singers seems to be growing with pedal companies!  I will have a meeting with them in about a week to make arrangements for some partnering nuances. Ill have one in my studio soon... and will quick to review.

Im very excited about it.

So you like it huh? Why?  Can you upload a link for a file to hear you use it?

#3 2010-06-29 16:40:38

akarawd
TMV Forum Member

I bought it a month ago and I love it, once you get the levels right it's really simple to use, includes pretty much everything and can run on batteries.

#4 2010-06-29 18:01:11

Adolph Namlik
Executive Director, The Modern Vocalist World

GREAT ! An optional AC adapter is available as well !!!!!!

For additional information and reviews :

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Boss-VE-20- … 1474806.gc

http://pro-audio.musiciansfriend.com/pr … sku=583433

Looking forward to YOUR review, Robert.

Last edited by Nightprowler (2010-06-29 18:02:56)

Adolph C. Namlik
Executive Director ~ The Modern Vocalist World
Western N.Y.
adolph@themodernvocalist.com
http://www.themodernvocalist.com/profile/AdolphNamlik
Email : chief188@hughes.net
716~257~9606
"My Life's A Stage"

#5 2010-07-03 15:07:47

ronws
TMV Forum Member

I think this kind of tech is cool and very much needed. Back in the good old days of the Who and Led Zeppelin, there wasn't really any vocal processing to speak of. Often, the vocal mic was not brought up to balance with the rest of the band. Imagine you are Robert Plant. You have John Bonham behind you, literally beating the drum heads to pieces (a drum tech standing by with a stack of replacements), John Paul Jones on a thundering bass. Jimmy Page with this crazy "wall of guitars" sound he created. And you've got a mic and one monitor cabinet. And an engineer who may or may not get the levels right, often keeping the vocal mic just a little low to prevent feedback.

Nowadays, you have mics specifically built to avoid feeback, which allows greater volume on the vocal channel, and you don't have to sing as loud to be heard. And pedal effects, where you can stomp into reverb or delay, at will, as you interpret the song. Maybe with some eq you set so that it doesn't matter what the venue is, you can match it. Neato.

"When the daylight is rising up in my eyes ..." - Klaus Meine

#6 2010-07-03 15:17:55

akarawd
TMV Forum Member

It's all you'll ever need ronws, sound engineers like me because of it.
Seriously now, just when the guitarists decide to turn up their volume - which is mid-set and the vocalist is tired, you are given the opportunity to turn up too at the touch of a foot pedal.
Not to mention the fact that you can have a more produced sound, just like most instruments on a live set these days.

#7 2010-07-03 20:53:26

Adolph Namlik

Speaking of Robert Plant, I read somewhere (?), that it was Plant who had first experimented with vocal processing by using a guitar distortion pedal on "No Quarter".

I'd like to know which pedal it was....... :)

Last edited by Nightprowler (2010-07-03 20:56:25)

Adolph C. Namlik
Western N.Y.
716~257~9606
"My Life's A Stage"

#8 2010-07-03 21:39:11

ronws
TMV Forum Member

Nightprowler wrote:

Speaking of Robert Plant, I read somewhere (?), that it was Plant who had first experimented with vocal processing by using a guitar distortion pedal on "No Quarter".

I'd like to know which pedal it was....... :)

I wasn't aware that he had vocal processing for live performance in the early days of Led Zep. Maybe he did and I didn't know it. In the studio, sure, one could do some really neat things. Some of the early Beatles stuff was generational loops in a 4 track.

#9 2010-07-03 22:46:52

Adolph Namlik

Ron,

I've been looking for that article, but it's been so long since I've seen it, I cannot seem to locate it !
It was definitely used in the live performances, though, and ONLY on "No Quarter". I seen Zep front and center stage both in 1973 and 1975 in Pittsburgh and THAT definitely was not Plant's vocals without "processing"....
I'm not a sound engineer by any means, bu I know for certain it wasn't the "Boss DS-1" guitar pedal. I tried it in my "chain", and talk about some "EFX" !!! Not exactly what I was hoping to accomplish if you know what I mean ----  :rolleyes:

Adolph C. Namlik
Western N.Y.
716~257~9606
"My Life's A Stage"

#10 2010-07-03 23:32:12

ronws
TMV Forum Member

I know what you mean, I just didn't expect it back then. In which case, my view of history has been mistaken. But I have seen it used in modern times. I was watching the video of "Carnival of Sin" with Motley Crue. In the upper end, Vince Neil's notes sounded shaped or "boxed" (my phrase). Essentially auto-tuning, most likely to carry the note. I think he can still hit the note but in his younger days, his upper end was raspy and not that clean sounding. Which is not to say that he might not have undergone some more training since then and now hits the notes cleaner. It just sounded tuned. Same with Joe Elliot on a recent concert footage with Def Leppard.

#11 2010-07-11 21:35:32

basil
TMV Forum Member

Hi,

Any updated opinions or reviews on the Boos VE-20?
I'm thinking about buying this product, but don't want to get sucked in by ad hype.

Thanks for any help on this.
Basil

#12 2010-08-21 12:57:30

spunkymunkey
TMV Forum Member

Yes, I also have the VE-20. I have used it live a few times now and very dependable. I would say they are well worth the money, and they are actually not that expensive.
They must be quite popular because there are waiting lists to get one depending where you are. There is a lot of flexibility built into that little box as compared to say the Digitech.

#13 2010-12-28 07:28:46

basil
TMV Forum Member

I received VE-20 for Christmas :)
I started playing around with my VE-20 today and some of the presets are pretty good after you adjust the input sensitivity and lower the reverb settings,but I'm going to have to tweek my own patches to make this work for me. BTW....I'm a 80's HR/HM vocalist so I think reverb,delay,doubling,chorus and maybe some slight harmony effects are what I'm going to create.
I'm always up for any help on the learning curve so if anyone else has things they found and are up for sharing ....please post your findings and settings .

#14 2010-12-29 19:33:38

lolalola
TMV Forum Member

Hi there!

A newbie singer here, with a newbie question. I just bought a Boss VE20 for onstage use. Mainly so that I can control my own reverb, and I like a couple of the other options it has. Basically, how would I show up at a gig with this thing and plug what in where...?! I don't want to embarrass myself in front of the sound guy at the venue.... Be as dumbed-down with your explanation as you like! :)   (I'm a guitarist that's just switched to singing too - I've plenty of Boss guitar effects, that's why I went for the VE20)

Cheers!
Bobby

#15 2010-12-31 23:29:46

ronws
TMV Forum Member

I don't have mic effects. But I would assume (I am also from a guitar background) that you could plug your mic cord in the input of the effect and plug the cable that goes to the sound system into the output of your effect box. Or am I wrong?

#16 2011-01-07 03:09:14

fridrix
TMV Forum Member

Bobby I was thinking the same thing; just showing up with one of these might be a little awkward if it's an open mic or the house dude is running sound. They probably would have their mics plugged in how they want em and their own effects like reverb in the effects loop. Might be simplest to show up with your own microphone and cable too so you can present the thing to them like just another instrument (that might look conceited). :/ But yeah I think its a valid concern. I would be interested to hear people's experiences with these in the field.

#17 2011-03-08 11:02:00

locksc83
TMV Forum Member

Guys,

I've been playing in an original band in Aus for about 3 yrs, have toured the country and about to tour UK....

Regarding plugging in your vocal pedal...We use $50 guitar delay pedals and run our vocals through them....hence I found this forum as we're looking to upgrade from this to VE-20s.
Anyway....just let the sound guy know (nicely) that you'll be running a vocal pedal.
Make sure the mic is muted (i.e. tap it to check) pull thir lead out of the mic and stick it in the back of your pedal.
Provide your own lead to go from the mic to your pedal (don't ask sound guys for it, unless you're desperate).

By the time you've done this he won't even notice and you'll be ready to go.

Just be careful when you're using a power supply for it, especially if its from the same board as other stuff.
Some clubs have 'dirty' power and it will hiss through the PA...but maybe thats just cos we use shit pedals....keep fresh batteries handy

Anyway, sounds like VE-20 is the business....???

#18 2011-04-07 14:50:25

BradL22
TMV Forum Member

I am using the BOSS VE-20 and weas wondering if anyone had any settings to sound more like Bon Jovi.  I am looking to sing I'll be there for you and my voice struggles to hit the high notes.

Thanks

#19 2011-04-15 03:19:48

locksc83
TMV Forum Member

Ok so we got VE-20s and they're pretty good, just don't go overboard on the harmony settings or it gets a bit of a computerish/digital sound.

Delays and reverbs are pretty great though.

BradL22 wrote:

I am using the BOSS VE-20 and weas wondering if anyone had any settings to sound more like Bon Jovi.  I am looking to sing I'll be there for you and my voice struggles to hit the high notes.

Thanks

You could just sing it lower and put an octave higher harmony with a fair bit of reverb on it but that might sound a bit crap too.

If you can't hit the note I don't think there is a pedal around that can save you.

Or just don't sing Bon Jovi...probably your best option  :P

#20 2011-06-16 11:26:45

mart "redbox" smith
TMV Forum Member

Hi everyone,

I've been using the Boss VE-20 for over a year now and think it's great (apart from not being able to store your settings externally).

I sing in a Rock cover band with minimal backing vocal support and so I use the VE-20 to create those missing voices. It also helps a great deal when you're trying to recreate the sound of a particular song. We have just finished recording a "live in the practice room"promo CD and obviously this features the VE-20. So if any of your are interested in hearing how it sounds please take a listen on our Blog jukebox and you will hear what this box can do. The recordings contains only my voice and all effects are triggered live. There are NO OVERDUBS and the recording was made using CuBase.

I'd love to receive any feedback and help with any questions about the VE-20.

http://martiansignals.blogspot.com/

Happy listening,

Mart

#21 2011-06-19 05:20:44

TimmyP1955
TMV Forum Member

Just know how to quickly change it to 100% wet (and have a wye cable if there's no mic passthrough), so when you have a gig on which someone is mixing, you can give him dry and FX feeds and let him determine the appropriate mix (folks who do it themselves tend to way overdo it).

#22 2011-06-19 15:35:40

mart "redbox" smith
TMV Forum Member

Good point about the dry and wet signals. Here's what I do:

I'm using a Heil PR35 into the VE-20 I then take a stereo "Y" cable from the stereo jack out and feed that to two channels of a small mixer (BEHRINGER XENYX 802) this in turn feeds two Laney CXP 12 stage monitors (both powered) so I get a nice stereo sound on stage and can set my own EQ. The two XLR outputs from the VE-20 go direct to the "house" desk. There is NO dry signal. The secret as you say is not to go "over the top" with the FX. Since I've had the Heil mic I've found that with its amazing sensitivity I'm able to have some control over the strength of the FX by controlling my proximity to the mic and vocal volume, pretty neat. I hope this info helps.

#23 2011-06-21 10:07:14

The Touch
TMV Forum Member

Hi,

I bought a VE20 recently and I'm very happy with it to say the least. I sing in a rock covers band - we've just started out so I'm a beginner basically. I use the Hard Rock preset and I have programmed pitch correct into the user channels for each of my songs. It has transformed my voice and it doesn't sound un - natural at all. I don't have a problem treating my vocals. If my guitarist has a bank of effects why shouldn't the singer? Just be aware that whilst I'm sure it's useful, the pitch correct won't turn you into Robert Plant - you still have to sing reasonably well! I can change from one preset to the next easily with my feet if I put the unit at the base of my mike. We have our first gig on Thursday this week which is an open mic night but I don't see a problem using it. You bring your own mic plug that into the back of the box and then plug their mic lead into the output plug on the back of the box - should be easy enough. 

I'm still getting used to it but if you have any questions let me know.

#24 2011-06-22 20:43:45

Glyn
TMV Forum Member

Hi all.

Just a quick question about the Boss VE-20, and I'm sorry if it seems a bit daft.

Can you have the XLR outputs going to the PA and use the headphone jack AT THE SAME TIME? A lot of things don't (plug in headphones-speakers go off) and it looks like you could use  headphones to provide 1/2 decent fold-back without breaking the bank ( which is pretty darned empty at the moment)
   I've looked up the user manual online but it doesn't really make it clear.  I will no doubt be buying this unit pretty soon anyway but it would be nice to know. The chances are I would not be moving about the stage much anyway ( I play bass!)  and this could be great in-ear monitoring! Cheers.

#25 2011-08-15 22:09:44

basil
TMV Forum Member

Hi Everyone,

Would anyone have some good custom patch settings that work for them?
I've been digging deeper into the Boss VE20 and there are some many different settings.

#26 2011-10-02 17:10:53

Helikan
TMV Forum Member

Hi,

I have a VE-20 and I use it live, but I have some problems and was wondering if anyone can help me. I use the distortion effect frequently but I get awful feedback. I don''t use a huge amount of dist. It is set to about 15 ( from 1-100) but still. The feedback goes away if I turn the mid freguencies all the way down from the mixing desk but then all the spark from my voice is gone so it isn't a real solution. I have tried different microphones but the problem persists. Is there anything I can do or is anyone else having the same probmlem? I mean why is the distortion even on this thing when even a small amount of it makes it unusable? I have maby concerts coming in october so all replies are very welcome.

#27 2011-10-03 13:20:33

basil
TMV Forum Member

@Helikan
Is there a large volume change when using the distortion fx as comparied to other Fx you're using?
If so you may have to adject the gain.   
The VE-20 unit has some preamp settings which may offer you some more options.
Question:  When playing live are you providing the PA gear or using the in house system and sound man?

#28 2011-10-03 15:15:45

Helikan
TMV Forum Member

Thanks for your reply,

Yes there is some volume change. I have tried adjustic the mic sensitivity from the pedal but that applies to all the patches so doesn't reallt work. What preamp settings do you recommend trying? Or what setting is for adjusting the gain? I found a new thing today call Noise threshold from the pedal under master, maybe that will help. I have a chance to try it tomorrow at reharsal with the PA. To answer your question, when playing live we use the in house PA and sound man or rent if there is none.

#29 2011-10-03 16:56:29

basil
TMV Forum Member

@Helikin

One thing I really don't like about the VE-20 are the global settings ....wish you could choose global or none global for each custom patch.

I 'm not sure what kind of distortion Fx you're tryig to create,but here's a few things that could help.

1. In the setup menu make your output mono/dry
This way the sound person has two feeds one with your FX and one dry.  The Fx can be added and controlled on a seperate channel and re-EQed if needed.

2. Turn off the distortion for now.
Under the Tone/SFX menu there are the Preamp settings ......try to recreate your distortion FX by overdriving the gain and adjusting the tone settings.

If needed turn on the distrotion and add a small amount ...being careful of feedback.

3. Under the Master menu change your level settings to closer match the level of your mic when the fx are in  bypass mode.
     This way when you turn your fx on there won't be large volume change which can cause feedback depending on close you are to the monitors.

Hope this helps.

Last edited by basil (2011-10-04 14:07:48)

#30 2012-01-18 00:56:26

lolalola
TMV Forum Member

Can anyone clarify if the VE-20 allows a wet AND dry signal that can be sent out to FOH? I know it has 2 xlr outs, but do they allow wet and dry, is that how it works? Thanks! If not the Boss, any similar unit that allows for this? I'd just want to give FOH both signals!

#31 2012-01-18 01:40:29

basil
TMV Forum Member

You can set one of the outputs to dry and you can set the other to wet.   You will be able to give FOH both signals.

#32 2012-01-19 00:30:40

lolalola
TMV Forum Member

basil wrote:

You can set one of the outputs to dry and you can set the other to wet.   You will be able to give FOH both signals.

Great - is anyone here having good results with it in a live setting? Any tips or do's/dont's?

#33 2012-01-19 16:27:58

basil
TMV Forum Member

Learn the unit inside and out so you can make tweeks as needed.
Get to the show early and work with the FOH and monitor sound person on getting everything to your liking.
Some places I play I don't even bother with VE20 because the house sound person doesn't want to be bothered or there just isn't going to be a sound check.

#34 2012-05-31 20:17:04

RGFG Band
TMV Forum Member

Seventh Fear wrote:

Hi Robert

Have you seen the new BOSS VE-20 Vocal pedal look it up on youtube it's on par with the TC ones and cheeper maybe you should do a review on it ?

I've got one and am very impressed I use it live and the vocal sound I get through our PA is live cd quality..... and i'm not just saying that i mean it.;)

all the best.:cool:

DiTTo

#35 2012-10-16 20:32:15

Marcus
TMV Forum Member

I know this is an old thread, but I wanted to chime in I just got one of these today. Played around with it in my home studio and it sounds good. The only thing I don't like so far is the pitch correct, even at the soft setting it have distinct artefacts from pitch correction - I guess it will only be useful if you really want a "modern" sound with very audible correction. This isn't a biggie for me personally since I will probably never use it, but it could be important to someone looking into the unit.
Reverb and delay sound good, moderate amount of harmonies sound surprisingly good. Don't think I will use the loop function much, but maybe for soundchecks it could come in handy. Very easy to use and tweak. Will try it in band rehearsal on friday and I'm looking forward to it.

I got the unit because the PA the band have contains no reverb or delay, and I felt like singing with some fx - not just dry vocals. Price felt ok, and I guess it's nice that it can run on battery power during gigs.

OTHER TMV WEB SITES: TMV RECOMMENDS: TMV RECOMMENDS: TMV RECOMMENDS:

Adverts

Board footer