TMV Partners

You are not logged in.

Announcement

GO HERE: www.TheModernVocalistWorld.com

ATTENTION TMV WORLD FORUM MEMBERS! YOU NEED TO GO LOGIN AND/OR REGISTER AT THE NEW AND IMPROVED TMV WORLD FORUM SYSTEM.

CLICK THIS LINK TO GO TO THE NEW FORUM. WHEN YOU ARRIVE AT THE NEW FORUM, LOGIN OR REGISTER AND THEN CLICK ON "GETTING STARTED". ALL OF THE POSTS AND TOPICS HAVE BEEN MIGRATED OVER AND EXISTING MEMBERS WILL BE LINKED BACK TO ALL THEIR POSTS IN THE NEW SYSTEM AFTER YOU LOGIN.

www.TheModernVocalistWorld.com

IF YOU ARE A NEW VISITOR THAT JUST JOINED US, YOU ARE INVITED TO COME OVER TO OUR NEW FORUM SYSTEM. CLICK THIS LINK TO GO THERE AND REGISTER.

www.TheModernVocalistWorld.com

Adverts

#1 2013-02-24 17:42:12

Darion
TMV Forum Member
Are There Physical Exercises that Singers Should Not Do?

Are there certain physical exercises that singers should not do?
One exercise in particular is the pushup. They help me get toned quickly but they affect my breathing. After doing 20 pushups I start doing chest breathing and it becomes very difficult to go back to deep breths. Once my chest and abs get any kind of exercise eg pushup, sit ups it also cuts the endurance of my voice re: shallow breathing.
Have you guys ever had this happen to you? What did you do to remedy it?
I want to audition for a show (kinda like Trinidadian XFactor) and everything matters, looks, voice ect.
Thanks

2013-02-24 17:42:12

AdBot
Advertisements

#2 2013-02-24 18:09:33

WebAndNet.com
TMV Forum Member

Re: Are There Physical Exercises that Singers Should Not Do?

A woman fan saw some baseball players in the 60s, walked up to them, and saw they were out of shape.  She remarked, you baseball players are overweight.   They replied, "but mam, we're pitchers."   Nowadays, we have muscular pitchers.  In the 60s, pitchers were actually discouraged from weight-lifting because it was thought this would shorten their pitch's "stretch".

I don't know golf well, but my recollection is Lee Trevino, a champion, started lifting weights and never regained his "touch".   So, for some time, weight lifting was thought to be detrimental to golf because one's touch is affected.  Modern day golf pro golfers have muscular power.

So, IMO, yes it's true that exercises can, in the short term, affect singing negatively.   But continuous exercising along with stretching and good posture will do wonders for your singing.

Chen Sun
www.WebAndNet.com, Strategic Web Marketing
www.VocalPosture.com, currently a blog, has unique singing-related content-- posture and voice, vocal structure, ergonomics, Zen and ancient philosophies' relevance to voice.   http://Chen.WebBIZcard.com, a prototype webpage of an invention, is ready for implementation.   This is ideal for any entprepreneur wanting to create a vocalists' or musicians directory.  Thanks

#3 2013-02-24 18:23:12

WebAndNet.com
TMV Forum Member

Think of exercising and stretching and yin and yang.  What one wants to achieve is harmony, like the ancient yin-yang symbol.

http://www.karenrauchcarter.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/06/yin_and_yang-300x300.png

In yoga, this is expressed as stretch and counter stretch. 

The reason your exercise affects singing negatively is because of excessive of one (yin or stretch).  What you need to do is to find the counterbalance-- (yang or counter stretch), so that your voice attains harmony.

Last edited by WebAndNet.com (2013-02-24 18:27:50)

Chen Sun
www.WebAndNet.com, Strategic Web Marketing
www.VocalPosture.com, currently a blog, has unique singing-related content-- posture and voice, vocal structure, ergonomics, Zen and ancient philosophies' relevance to voice.   http://Chen.WebBIZcard.com, a prototype webpage of an invention, is ready for implementation.   This is ideal for any entprepreneur wanting to create a vocalists' or musicians directory.  Thanks

#4 2013-02-24 21:59:58

chamcham
TMV Forum Member

According to Tara Simon (an X-Factor contestant and vocal coach), pushups
stimulate blood flow to the vocal cords. So it was part of her pre-show routine
before getting on stage.

Tara Simon doing pushups (above 20 seconds into the video) on X-Factor

She was recently on TV in Atlanta

Last edited by chamcham (2013-02-24 22:16:18)

#5 2013-02-24 22:14:33

ronws
TMV Forum Member

I would say, learn to keep them separated. It's okay to do physical exercise. And yes, the breathing for physical exertion is different than the breathing for singing.

In exercise, you pump as much air in and out as you can to stay oxygenated. In singing, you control the exhale.

"When the daylight is rising up in my eyes ..." - Klaus Meine

#6 2013-02-24 22:28:24

Owen Korzec
TMV Forum Member
Website

Well chamcham, if I'm not mistaken, pretty much any kind of exercise is gonna stimulate blood flow to the larynx. Why push ups. Why not jumping jacks for instance. I doubt one would be scientifically more beneficial to the larynx over the other.

Running is the best singer's exercise IMO because it also targets the breathing musculature. And optionally, you can practice vocal stamina by attempting to sing while running. Not an easy task, but Jaime Vendera highly recommends it. I think Joanna Cazden also does.

Personally I just stick with plain old running...I'd consider it part of my full vocal warm up.

Last edited by Owen Korzec (2013-02-24 22:29:28)

#7 2013-02-24 22:42:04

ronws
TMV Forum Member

Something I would like to add to Owen's running. In a sense, the breathing for running is not what makes you a better singer. The increased efficiency of the body to oxygenate itself is a benefit. You still have to control the exhale while singing. But the lungs also get better at oxygenating you. For, even while you are singing, some of the air you are breathing while singing is also to keep you conscious. Right?

#8 2013-02-24 22:45:50

chamcham
TMV Forum Member

Owen Korzec wrote:

Well chamcham, if I'm not mistaken, pretty much any kind of exercise is gonna stimulate blood flow to the larynx. Why push ups. Why not jumping jacks for instance. I doubt one would be scientifically more beneficial to the larynx over the other.

Running is the best singer's exercise IMO because it also targets the breathing musculature. And optionally, you can practice vocal stamina by attempting to sing while running. Not an easy task, but Jaime Vendera highly recommends it. I think Joanna Cazden also does.

Personally I just stick with plain old running...I'd consider it part of my full vocal warm up.

I was only just stating what she claimed. I don't know if she has any evidence to back it up.
She seemed very passionate about vocal technique (maybe too passionate) on X-Factor.

Running is definitely good for breathing. Or any amount of intense cardio exercise for that matter.

However, I've known women that don't like running, because apparently it gives them wrinkles
at an older age. There are a lot of web articles about the topic.

#9 2013-02-24 22:54:48

ronws
TMV Forum Member

Fellow member Snejk used to trade emails with Tony Kakko from Sonata Arctica. Tony's advice for training for a tour, or singing in general, really, lots of cardio. And hands down, the best cardio for the amount of effort expended is walking or running. More important than weight training. Or high intensity like martial arts. (In my book, martial arts done correctly is not about being aerobic. It's about rendering the opponent incapable of further action. I get that from my friend, Lee, US Navy SEAL, 1964-69. "Do unto him before he does unto you." That wisdom helped him survive 3 active combat tours, way deep "in country." But I digress.)

So, yeah, cardio. Something that involves breathing and lots of it.

#10 2013-02-24 23:18:35

Owen Korzec
TMV Forum Member
Website

ronws wrote:

Something I would like to add to Owen's running. In a sense, the breathing for running is not what makes you a better singer. The increased efficiency of the body to oxygenate itself is a benefit. You still have to control the exhale while singing. But the lungs also get better at oxygenating you. For, even while you are singing, some of the air you are breathing while singing is also to keep you conscious. Right?

You just blew my mind with that last sentence. Never thought about that before.

What if...while singing...it is the act of singing making us conscious. I think that's what it is actually. Pretty cool to think about.

One thing I have experimented with that can use running to train singer's breathing it to try to hold the exhales as long as possible.

I kind of gave up on that though because it made running about three times harder. I like running to be enjoyable, that's just me. I know I might get a lot more out of it if I really tried to practice vocal technique while running. But for one thing, I could risk developing bad habits if I do so incorrectly, and also, it just takes the fun out of it.

#11 2013-02-24 23:23:09

ronws
TMV Forum Member

Exactly. Running increases the lungs efficiency in getting oxygen into the blood stream

And when you are singing, the areola are better at absorbing whatever oxygen they get, while you go ahead and sing.

Mick Jagger had someone once track how much he ran and caroused around on stage. It clocked in at 6 miles. So, he started running 6 miles every other day to stay in training for tours. Granted, he sings mostly in chest. But it doesn't matter what you are singing, you still have to have breath to sing. And he is one of those singers who will not lip-sync a live show. You hear Mick, warts and all.

#12 2013-02-24 23:40:03

chamcham
TMV Forum Member

If, for some reason, you don't like running, I'd recommend trying the Insanity Workout by Beachbody.
It's for people that want maximum fat burn in minimum time. The instructor often reminds you
to breathe air in and out. It makes a big difference.

I tried running before, but I would always start to itch whenever I was outside.
Also, it was much easier for me to exercise in my room than to go outside.

Anyway, cardio is great for increasing lung efficiency.
If you're out of breath after 20 pushups, you're out of shape.
Exercise more and you'll last longer.

Not all singers do physical exercise, but it definitely helps.
Anyway, good luck.

Last edited by chamcham (2013-02-25 00:32:13)

#13 2013-02-24 23:42:33

ronws
TMV Forum Member

I get my exercise chasing old ladies around the retirement home. And dueling with wooden swords for the bottle of Geritol.

Hey, it's a gig ....

I used to lift weights. It didn't help me sing better. I used to run 2 miles every other day. It didn't help me sing better.

Paying attention to what I do with my voice, that helped me sing better.

#14 2013-02-25 00:50:22

Owen Korzec
TMV Forum Member
Website

I tried that insanity workout once. Never again. :lol:

I will stick to my running because it is working. It is the only exercise I've ever enjoyed. Anything to get me exercising will do.

Really the big reason I exercise is to get some endorphins into my brain. Over the years my dad has forced me to exercise. And I never knew why, as I didn't really care about physical appearance. Until a few years ago, when I realized running started making me feel ecstatic and the rest of my day automatically go smoother. Oh, so that's what regular exercise is all about...

So exercise is mental health too.

That, of course, includes giving me a better mental approach to singing.

And like the wise ronws says, singing is mental.

Let's not forget diet is also related to mental health. And sleep. A lot of physical things are also mental, it's mind/body stuff. Exercise, sleep, and diet are all mental, and singing is mental, so if you wanna be a great singer, you should probably get good sleep, eat the right foods, and exercise. All of those things are also physical, and singing is physical, so the same applies.

Do you get the point yet? The quality of a singer's instrument relies heavily on their overall health. So, to answer the original question, one perspective you could take is that any physical exercise that is making you healthier will indirectly improve your singing too.

#15 2013-02-25 00:56:38

ronws
TMV Forum Member

Pat Benetar said that singing is muscle, tissue, and psyche. So, what gives you physical energy and confidence should help.

#16 2013-02-25 03:22:33

chamcham
TMV Forum Member

Owen Korzec wrote:

I tried that insanity workout once. Never again. :lol:

I guess that means Insanity kicked your ass. They don't call it Insanity for nothing. :D
It's really for people that will do whatever it takes to get results, even if it kills them.
They're not afraid of pain and torture. Maybe they even like it. :P

After the first day I did Insanity, my legs were so sore I couldn't walk for 4 days.
Even on the fourth day, walking was difficult. I didn't even have enough strength to
walk outside. Luckily, I was on vacation. Otherwise, I would've never been able to make it to work :lol:

And that was all from 27 minutes of Day 1 (the Day 1 workout is 40 minutes, but I was too weak and gave up at 27 minutes).

#17 2013-02-25 18:38:00

cal_dpr
TMV Forum Member

You should be using controlled diaphragm breathing for pretty much all weight lifting exercises. If you were bench pressing and breathed high into your chest and released it all at once you would collapse and drop the bar on yourself. Calisthenics are in that in between aerobic and anaerobic zone but you still should not be breathing that hard.
Two things to keep in mind:
1) If you're breathing hard while doing pushups, do them slower and more controlled.
2) I like to do some of the diaphragm exercises before I go to the gym or run and then I find I'm able to keep my breathing more consistent and it's actually helped me internalize some of the breathing techniques.

#18 2013-02-25 21:05:39

Darion
TMV Forum Member

Back with the pushups…
Before my warm up today I did some pushups (44 to be exact) I could have gone higher on my lip rolls today and my voice had more volume after. Could it be because of the pushups? I think so but I’ll try it again to be sure. In some recent singing success tips they suggested doing pushups and jumping jacks if you couldn’t actually warm up.

@chamcham…Waw Tara has an interesting voice. Overdone with the melisma’s for my taste though..
@Owen Korzec I agree with running. I did some running and then warm up. It also worked out better after running.

#19 2013-02-25 21:07:25

Darion
TMV Forum Member

BTW. After the pushups. My hands are feeling like if I was actually lifting...It's cool!

#20 2013-02-25 21:53:22

Darion
TMV Forum Member

Hear are some mp3s of me singing before and after warming up. Please tell me what you think. How can I improve? Technical issues?
http://www.sendspace.com/file/3n3h1s
http://www.sendspace.com/file/bcxeae

#21 2013-02-25 21:54:33

Darion
TMV Forum Member

Hear are some mp3s of me singing before and after warming up. Please tell me what you think. How can I improve? Technical issues?
http://www.sendspace.com/file/3n3h1s
http://www.sendspace.com/file/bcxeae

#22 2013-02-26 01:20:59

ronws
TMV Forum Member

You get better at singing by singing (with focus on what you are doing.)

Exercise is good for general health and quality of life.

A golfer could run or lift weights or whatever but what makes him a good golfer is playing golf and paying attention to what he is doing while playing that game.

I think it is the same with singing.

I am not discounting exercises and scales. But it is how you sing, whether scales, exercises, or song rehearsal and performance.

#23 2013-02-26 01:42:15

Darion
TMV Forum Member

I fully agree with you. You can have the best coatch but unless you observe yourself and use what works for you you'll never reach your full potencial. You won't know your self. How can you use a personal instrument such as the voice without knowing your self first!

#24 2013-02-26 01:43:15

Darion
TMV Forum Member

but what about my recordings?:)

OTHER TMV WEB SITES: TMV RECOMMENDS: TMV RECOMMENDS: TMV RECOMMENDS:

Adverts

Board footer