TMV Partners

You are not logged in.

#1 2010-01-05 19:54:58

JoshJ25
TMV Forum Member
Exercises to strengthen LARYNX?

I was told by a highly regarded vocal coach that the secret to singing with power is a stronger larynx. Does anyone agree/disagree. Dou you guys/gals have any vocal exercises you do to build up your larynx? Let's see what's out there.

#2 2010-01-05 19:57:12

Matt
TMV Forum Member
Re: Exercises to strengthen LARYNX?

never heard of that one to tell you the truth. I wonder if he didnt mean build up all the functions to make a stronger voice?

#3 2010-01-05 20:51:44

Steven Fraser
Charter Member of TMV Voice Council

JoshJ25 wrote:

I was told by a highly regarded vocal coach that the secret to singing with power is a stronger larynx. Does anyone agree/disagree. Do you guys/gals have any vocal exercises you do to build up your larynx? Let's see what's out there.

JoshJ25:  It really depends on to whom it was said.   Its no secret that a certain amount of strength is needed in the intrinsic musculature of the larynx, but most people who use their voices have plenty, perhaps too much in some areas.

What they may not have is well-coodinated muscle action, particularly in the coordination of the pitch-producing mechanism, and the muscles of adduction. 

To determine what kind of exercises are best suited from the student's starting point, it depends somewhat on what is not as it should be.

Was this coach talking about your voice, or voices in general?

Best Regards,

Steven Fraser

#4 2010-01-05 21:25:26

JoshJ25
TMV Forum Member

Steven Fraser wrote:

JoshJ25 wrote:

I was told by a highly regarded vocal coach that the secret to singing with power is a stronger larynx. Does anyone agree/disagree. Do you guys/gals have any vocal exercises you do to build up your larynx? Let's see what's out there.

JoshJ25:  It really depends on to whom it was said.   Its no secret that a certain amount of strength is needed in the intrinsic musculature of the larynx, but most people who use their voices have plenty, perhaps too much in some areas.

What they may not have is well-coodinated muscle action, particularly in the coordination of the pitch-producing mechanism, and the muscles of adduction. 

To determine what kind of exercises are best suited from the student's starting point, it depends somewhat on what is not as it should be.

The info was general not specific. He says the voice needs to be strengthened from the inside. If you don't strengthen those muscles then when you try to sound powerful or louder you push a lot of air and you overload the larynx and neighboring muscles join in and choke off the area resulting in a weak sound and a sore throat. Larynx exercises are supposed to offset this.

#5 2010-01-06 01:52:19

Steven Fraser
Charter Member of TMV Voice Council

JoshJ25 wrote:

Steven Fraser wrote:

The info was general not specific. He says the voice needs to be strengthened from the inside. If you don't strengthen those muscles then when you try to sound powerful or louder you push a lot of air and you overload the larynx and neighboring muscles join in and choke off the area resulting in a weak sound and a sore throat. Larynx exercises are supposed to offset this.

JoshJ25: Well, I I think he is right to a certain extent... that the laryngeal muscles must have some strength.  However, its a far more common problem that the  singer puts _way_ too much breath energy under the voice... far more than is needed to accomplish the intended volume. 

I think the 'choking off', which I agree happens very often (I used to do it, too,) is not so much the result of 'weak' laryngeal muscles, but rather the larynx trying to protect itself from the oversupply of air.   Keep in mind that the laryngeal muscles are very small, and the muscles which push air are huge by comparison.

At any rate, its useful totake some lessons and learn the vocalises for building coordinated strength.

Best Regards,

Steven Fraser

#6 2010-01-07 14:45:57

Rychemaiden
TMV Forum Member

Hi Mr. Steven, everybody...

Neat in that just this week I figured out that I had to "back off" the "breath energy" to keep from "choking off" the air flow and hurting my larynx, sinuses, etc. I only do that when trying to oversing loud volumes, hadnt done that in a while but just got asked to join a new cover band, and was practicing at -show' volume and just hadnt figured out what I was doing wrong.

but I didnt have the same terminology...I would have said that I needed to "dial back" in order to keep from "blowing out" my voice :)  The way you put this Mr. Steve, makes more sense to me, and validates my "finding!"

Thanks!

Last edited by Rychemaiden (2010-01-07 14:46:40)

Ancora Imparo

#7 2010-10-13 05:54:12

Shanda Hizer
TMV Forum Member
Website

I'm sad to see that there are hardly any health and fitness widgets! Could anyone make something similar to the weight lifting music

Visit MusicForMuscles.com and download your free 100% pure Weight Lifting Music made specifically for listening while lifting weights. Make your Next Workout you Best Workout! GET SWOLE!

#8 2010-10-13 09:58:26

ronws
TMV Forum Member

Shanda Hizer wrote:

I'm sad to see that there are hardly any health and fitness widgets! Could anyone make something similar to the weight lifting music

Some people here are quite well into fitness regimes. But the actual focus of this forum is singing. That is why it is called the modern vocalist, rather than the modern weightlifter who wants post-industrial dance music to lift weights by.

"Keep on rockin' in the free world." - Neil Young

#9 2010-10-13 23:21:01

VIDEOHERE
Administrator

JoshJ25 wrote:

I was told by a highly regarded vocal coach that the secret to singing with power is a stronger larynx. Does anyone agree/disagree. Dou you guys/gals have any vocal exercises you do to build up your larynx? Let's see what's out there.

josh, i read a book "the new voice" by alan greene, and his whole approach was to strengthen the laryngal muscles and gain control of the tongue even before learning to sing. he considered development of the laryngal muscles a mandatory prerequisite to vocalizing. interesting read.

also, he covered the need to learn to eliminate the gag reflex.

i do an exercise or two from the book and i feel it has helped me with an ability to modulate or adjust my chord closure depending on the sound i intend to make.
i know i may not be right, but those "gugs and gugs" on a cry sound help too. they helped me keep the larynx more controlled.

Last edited by VIDEOHERE (2010-10-13 23:23:39)

OTHER TMV WEB SITES: TMV RECOMMENDS: TMV RECOMMENDS: TMV RECOMMENDS:

Board footer