TMV Partners

You are not logged in.


Announcement

GO HERE: www.TheModernVocalistWorld.com

ATTENTION TMV WORLD FORUM MEMBERS! YOU NEED TO GO LOGIN AND/OR REGISTER AT THE NEW AND IMPROVED TMV WORLD FORUM SYSTEM.



CLICK THIS LINK TO GO TO THE NEW FORUM. WHEN YOU ARRIVE AT THE NEW FORUM, LOGIN OR REGISTER AND THEN CLICK ON "GETTING STARTED". ALL OF THE POSTS AND TOPICS HAVE BEEN MIGRATED OVER AND EXISTING MEMBERS WILL BE LINKED BACK TO ALL THEIR POSTS IN THE NEW SYSTEM AFTER YOU LOGIN.

www.TheModernVocalistWorld.com

IF YOU ARE A NEW VISITOR THAT JUST JOINED US, YOU ARE INVITED TO COME OVER TO OUR NEW FORUM SYSTEM. CLICK THIS LINK TO GO THERE AND REGISTER.

www.TheModernVocalistWorld.com

Adverts

#1 2013-01-11 07:28:43

Thornberry
TMV Forum Member
Registered: 2012-02-06
Posts: 11
Reputation :   

Gary Catona's "Voice Builder" app

Hello all

I was wondering if anyone else has tried the iPhone/ipad app "Voice Builder" which is centered around Gary Catona's voice building method. Or, if you haven't tried the app (or don't have an iPhone/pad) if you have tried the voice building method and what you think of it

www.garycatona.com is his website. Very interesting method, basically just using five vowels and sliding them up and down (like sirens) while singing with a very low larynx and singing from the back of the throat to really build the muscles. I have been doing it and have been really enjoying it. I once went to a teacher who taught this method, but I have since learned a lot about voice and feel like this time around I can guide myself and am having more success.

Any thoughts?

Offline

 

2013-01-11 07:28:43

AdBot
Advertisements

#2 2013-01-11 16:49:19

VIDEOHERE
Administrator
Registered: 2008-12-22
Posts: 7197
Reputation :   66 

Re: Gary Catona's "Voice Builder" app

i read his book. i wish the program wasn't just for phones. i have an old school phone.

Offline

 

#3 2013-01-11 22:19:22

JayMC
Guest

Re: Gary Catona's "Voice Builder" app

VIDEOHERE wrote:

i read his book. i wish the program wasn't just for phones. i have an old school phone.

For some reason I am not surprised :lol: No worries Videohere I don't even have a phone. I hope the app is great though, seems innovative.

 

#4 2013-01-12 00:03:31

Danielformica
TMV Forum Member
From: San Luis Obispo
Registered: 2011-08-10
Posts: 1552
Reputation :   62 
Website

Re: Gary Catona's "Voice Builder" app

I have it save your money if I could just give it to you I would. Not happening


DANIEL
WWW.YOURVOCALTEACHER.COM
WWW.DANIELFORMICAVOCALSTUDIO.COM
www.soundcloud.com/daniel-formica

Disclaimer-Anything I write or try to help people with on here are techniques and things that have worked for ME.  They are not necessarily" right" or "wrong" but have worked for ME and my 20+ yrs as a professional working
singer.
Thank you

Offline

 

#5 2013-01-12 09:27:36

hcc
TMV Forum Member
Registered: 2012-12-22
Posts: 17
Reputation :   

Re: Gary Catona's "Voice Builder" app

Daniel, what do you think about Gary Catona's voice building system?

If I recall correctly, I think I read somewhere in the forum that you took some lessons with him.

Thanks in advance.

Offline

 

#6 2013-01-12 18:59:04

Danielformica
TMV Forum Member
From: San Luis Obispo
Registered: 2011-08-10
Posts: 1552
Reputation :   62 
Website

Re: Gary Catona's "Voice Builder" app

Yeah I took 2 lessons from him. And also one of the singers that sings with me alot also sings with Sade and she takes Gary on the road sometimes to warm them up. So he gave me some and it was exactly the same stuff. It's very overhyped. And also very stressful on the voice. I personally wasn't a fan and you could do it yourself. 
Slow sirens all vowels deep in the throat low low depressed larynx on all intervals that's it. Not very healthy and very over hyped since Whitney's death so he's using someone death as a marketing tool LAME...


DANIEL
WWW.YOURVOCALTEACHER.COM
WWW.DANIELFORMICAVOCALSTUDIO.COM
www.soundcloud.com/daniel-formica

Disclaimer-Anything I write or try to help people with on here are techniques and things that have worked for ME.  They are not necessarily" right" or "wrong" but have worked for ME and my 20+ yrs as a professional working
singer.
Thank you

Offline

 

#7 2013-01-12 19:18:07

D.Starr
TMV Forum Member
From: UK
Registered: 2011-01-10
Posts: 755
Reputation :   
Website

Re: Gary Catona's "Voice Builder" app

One simple answer

"SKYPE"

One simple contact

"Daniel Formica"




OR


Robert Lunte. Both great guys.

Offline

 

#8 2013-01-13 00:29:16

ronws
TMV Forum Member
Registered: 2010-05-23
Posts: 11731
Reputation :   139 

Re: Gary Catona's "Voice Builder" app

Danielformica wrote:

Yeah I took 2 lessons from him. And also one of the singers that sings with me alot also sings with Sade and she takes Gary on the road sometimes to warm them up. So he gave me some and it was exactly the same stuff. It's very overhyped. And also very stressful on the voice. I personally wasn't a fan and you could do it yourself. 
Slow sirens all vowels deep in the throat low low depressed larynx on all intervals that's it. Not very healthy and very over hyped since Whitney's death so he's using someone death as a marketing tool LAME...

I actually read Gary's book. His answer was to become baritone.

Well, that's okay, if you are already a baritone. I know it's not popular, but ya just gotta have to longer folds of a baritone to be a baritone.

(watch me duck as the hurt feelings fly ....)


"When the daylight is rising up in my eyes ..." - Klaus Meine

Offline

 

#9 2013-01-13 18:09:30

Mr Bounce
TMV Forum Member
Registered: 2009-08-28
Posts: 359
Reputation :   

Re: Gary Catona's "Voice Builder" app

ronws wrote:

Danielformica wrote:

Yeah I took 2 lessons from him. And also one of the singers that sings with me alot also sings with Sade and she takes Gary on the road sometimes to warm them up. So he gave me some and it was exactly the same stuff. It's very overhyped. And also very stressful on the voice. I personally wasn't a fan and you could do it yourself. 
Slow sirens all vowels deep in the throat low low depressed larynx on all intervals that's it. Not very healthy and very over hyped since Whitney's death so he's using someone death as a marketing tool LAME...

I actually read Gary's book. His answer was to become baritone.

Well, that's okay, if you are already a baritone. I know it's not popular, but ya just gotta have to longer folds of a baritone to be a baritone.

(watch me duck as the hurt feelings fly ....)

All tenors want to be baritones? Ironic since all baris want to be tenors. OH CRUEL FATE! :P

Offline

 

#10 2013-01-14 01:28:27

ronws
TMV Forum Member
Registered: 2010-05-23
Posts: 11731
Reputation :   139 

Re: Gary Catona's "Voice Builder" app

Mr Bounce wrote:

ronws wrote:

Danielformica wrote:

Yeah I took 2 lessons from him. And also one of the singers that sings with me alot also sings with Sade and she takes Gary on the road sometimes to warm them up. So he gave me some and it was exactly the same stuff. It's very overhyped. And also very stressful on the voice. I personally wasn't a fan and you could do it yourself. 
Slow sirens all vowels deep in the throat low low depressed larynx on all intervals that's it. Not very healthy and very over hyped since Whitney's death so he's using someone death as a marketing tool LAME...

I actually read Gary's book. His answer was to become baritone.

Well, that's okay, if you are already a baritone. I know it's not popular, but ya just gotta have to longer folds of a baritone to be a baritone.

(watch me duck as the hurt feelings fly ....)

All tenors want to be baritones? Ironic since all baris want to be tenors. OH CRUEL FATE! :P

Amen, brother.

I have heard from someone who thinks our voices are determined mostly by environment. The constant father figure in my life was our step-grandfather, a bass. And he sang bass in church choir. And my schoolmates and other men in my life were baritones. And when others wanted to mimick me, they would speak in falsetto. And I tried for years to lower my voice, to speak and sing lower. And it didn't work. To where I thought I was singing something like a baritone and a wise man said, in so many words, that's not baritone. You don't have that ring in that range.

Why can't I be a baritone, like all my firends and some relatives? I thought environment took care of all of that. Evidently, it only created the expectation. But the tuning of my voice improved once I accepted my limitations. i quit fighting myself.

Now, I can revel in being "lazy."
:o


"When the daylight is rising up in my eyes ..." - Klaus Meine

Offline

 

#11 2013-01-15 00:03:56

Samson
TMV Forum Member
Registered: 2013-01-14
Posts: 3
Reputation :   

Re: Gary Catona's "Voice Builder" app

I'm not really sure what the poster meant when he said that Mr. Catona's book says that all tenors are baritones. What I took from his book was that your singing register is partially determined by your physiology, but that singers are able to still increase their singing range by making their vocal muscles stronger, more flexible, and more coordinated. What he does say in the book is that singing in unnaturally high keys can damage your vocal cords, and that when doing the voice building exercises, one should start in their lower register and work up to the higher register.

In addition to reading his book, I have used Voice Builder, and I noticed a difference in the strength of my voice after a couple days. While it caused a little soreness and fatigue for the first couple days, the poster that said that it is dangerous or over-taxing is wrong. Just like lifting weights, one will feel soreness as the muscle strengthens. Also, the lowered larynx is only for the exercises, not singing, which Mr. Catona makes quite clear.

Offline

 

#12 2013-01-15 03:34:26

ronws
TMV Forum Member
Registered: 2010-05-23
Posts: 11731
Reputation :   139 

Re: Gary Catona's "Voice Builder" app

I didn't mean to offend you, Samson,

When I read the book, he was all a-gaga about how Frank Sinatra sounded much better by deepening his voice to baritone and held him as the example of how a voice should sound. I really didn't get any tenor stuff out of his writing. And yes, he does advocate, it seems, "muscle-building," so to speak.

I guess I just have a different viewpoint.

Maybe Gary's method really would help someone like Barry White sing "The Priests of Syrinx."


"When the daylight is rising up in my eyes ..." - Klaus Meine

Offline

 

#13 2013-01-15 20:44:43

Samson
TMV Forum Member
Registered: 2013-01-14
Posts: 3
Reputation :   

Re: Gary Catona's "Voice Builder" app

No offense taken, sorry if it came off like that. Although, if you listen to Frank Sinatra, he was a pretty lousy singer in his early years. His tone really did improve once he started singing properly.

Offline

 

#14 2013-01-15 20:49:59

VIDEOHERE
Administrator
Registered: 2008-12-22
Posts: 7197
Reputation :   66 

Re: Gary Catona's "Voice Builder" app

samson, would you care to post a video of frank sinatra singing lousy in his earlier years?

Offline

 

#15 2013-01-16 17:07:57

Samson
TMV Forum Member
Registered: 2013-01-14
Posts: 3
Reputation :   

Re: Gary Catona's "Voice Builder" app

Lousy may have been the wrong word, but certainly not up to his potential. Here's "Say It" with Tommy Dorsey's band: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=exknJi_S48Q. His voice is so thin.

Offline

 

#16 2013-01-16 20:27:46

VIDEOHERE
Administrator
Registered: 2008-12-22
Posts: 7197
Reputation :   66 

Re: Gary Catona's "Voice Builder" app

oh man, i'm not even a big sinatra fan, but i can certainly appreciate his vocals here.

i guess it's a matter of perception and whether you listen for vocal technique, vs. being taken by his performance.

millions of women were after him and it sure wasn't his looks back then because he was as skinny as a rail.

you can't deny the smoothness, tonal consistency, emotion, control, and balance.

Offline

 

#17 2013-01-17 00:26:43

ronws
TMV Forum Member
Registered: 2010-05-23
Posts: 11731
Reputation :   139 

Re: Gary Catona's "Voice Builder" app

I still likes me some Sinatra. I once debauched the lyrics for "Strangers in the Night" and totally ruined the song for my friend, Lee.

What are friends for?
:D


"When the daylight is rising up in my eyes ..." - Klaus Meine

Offline

 

#18 2013-04-23 06:01:42

Thornberry
TMV Forum Member
Registered: 2012-02-06
Posts: 11
Reputation :   

Re: Gary Catona's "Voice Builder" app

Just as a follow up, I've been using this app pretty hard core, and I have never seen so much improvement in my voice. I have used singing success, mastering mix, TVS, estill, done some CVT stuff, tried Frisell, as well as just straight up self experimentation, and nothing else has worked on my voice like this one.

Not saying it will work for everyone. But just in case anyone else is interested and is feeling hopeless like I was, this really has revitalized my voice, enough for me to finally pony up and book a studio to recod the EP I have been trying to record for 5 years or so.  If anyone is a little confused on the voice building method, feel free to message me and Skype with me. I'm not an expert by any means but I've taken some lessons with someone certified with voice building so I can probably get you started.

Sing on!

Offline

 

#19 2014-12-07 20:43:00

lovewarrior
TMV Forum Member
Registered: 2014-12-05
Posts: 9
Reputation :   

Re: Gary Catona's "Voice Builder" app

Hey Thornberry, any progress with Voicebuilding? It's been a while since you posted.

In case you're interested, I started a thread about Catona also here:
http://themodernvocalist.punbb-hosting. … p?id=10751

Would be cool to get your thoughts.

Offline

 

#20 2014-12-07 22:28:14

Danielformica
TMV Forum Member
From: San Luis Obispo
Registered: 2011-08-10
Posts: 1552
Reputation :   62 
Website

Re: Gary Catona's "Voice Builder" app

@samson i gotta say i am a huge sinatra fan and that to me is a beautiful performance of style and tone . i wish i sang that beautiful....:)


DANIEL
WWW.YOURVOCALTEACHER.COM
WWW.DANIELFORMICAVOCALSTUDIO.COM
www.soundcloud.com/daniel-formica

Disclaimer-Anything I write or try to help people with on here are techniques and things that have worked for ME.  They are not necessarily" right" or "wrong" but have worked for ME and my 20+ yrs as a professional working
singer.
Thank you

Offline

 

#21 2014-12-08 05:25:12

James Lugo
TMV Forum Member
From: Raleigh, NC
Registered: 2008-12-25
Posts: 74
Reputation :   
Website

Re: Gary Catona's "Voice Builder" app

Are there any good apps loaded with exercise? I just got the Ron Anderson one. Not my thing at all.


http://www.VocalAsylum.com
http://www.SSLMixingOnline.com
Skype voice lessons available. Skype: jameslugo
Clients Include: American Idol, Glee, The Smashing Pumpkins, 311, A Fine Frenzy, The Veronica's

Offline

 

#22 2014-12-08 15:40:08

Billy Budapest
TMV Forum Member
Registered: 2011-01-14
Posts: 420
Reputation :   

Re: Gary Catona's "Voice Builder" app

D.Starr wrote:

One simple answer

"SKYPE"

One simple contact

"Daniel Formica"

OR
Robert Lunte. Both great guys.

WORD.

Offline

 
OTHER TMV WEB SITES: TMV RECOMMENDS: TMV RECOMMENDS: TMV RECOMMENDS:

Adverts

Board footer

Powered by FluxBB
Hosted by PunBB-Hosting