TMV Partners

You are not logged in.

Announcement

GO HERE: www.TheModernVocalistWorld.com

ATTENTION TMV WORLD FORUM MEMBERS! YOU NEED TO GO LOGIN AND/OR REGISTER AT THE NEW AND IMPROVED TMV WORLD FORUM SYSTEM.

CLICK THIS LINK TO GO TO THE NEW FORUM. WHEN YOU ARRIVE AT THE NEW FORUM, LOGIN OR REGISTER AND THEN CLICK ON "GETTING STARTED". ALL OF THE POSTS AND TOPICS HAVE BEEN MIGRATED OVER AND EXISTING MEMBERS WILL BE LINKED BACK TO ALL THEIR POSTS IN THE NEW SYSTEM AFTER YOU LOGIN.

www.TheModernVocalistWorld.com

IF YOU ARE A NEW VISITOR THAT JUST JOINED US, YOU ARE INVITED TO COME OVER TO OUR NEW FORUM SYSTEM. CLICK THIS LINK TO GO THERE AND REGISTER.

www.TheModernVocalistWorld.com

Adverts

• Index
  •  » Recording
  •  » Four Steps to Chose the Best Audio Mastering Services

#1 2013-01-06 15:25:03

Mochibas
TMV Forum Member

Four Steps to Chose the Best Audio Mastering Services

Do you want your finished album to be professional, and the service you choose can directly affect the outcome of your final product. What would your fans think of you, if you sold them your music and it sounded awful? Following are the four steps to locating the best audio services for your music.
Step 1: What kind of music will you want to recording? Certain companies specialize in a specific type of music.
Step 2: See sample audio files you can listen to. These will give you an idea of what kind of quality you can hope on your own recording.
Step 3: Pricing is necessary because you will want to stay within your cost limit. Try not to fall for a scam and pay too little though, either. If something seems best to be true, it often is.
Step 4: Speak to other music artists they have used the same services. Ask them what the experience. Why was like and if they would recommend it.
Upwards are the four steps to finding the best audio mastering services for your particular musical needs.

2013-01-06 15:25:03

AdBot
Advertisements

#2 2013-01-06 17:43:58

ronws
TMV Forum Member

Re: Four Steps to Chose the Best Audio Mastering Services

From what I have read about recording, mastering is the process after the recording engineer has already adjusted levels and has created a final recording of all the levels where they need to be. Then the mastering engineer takes it and adjusts levels, again, even overall volume before pressing to cd. The idea being that the recording has to sound good on various players in less than ideal listening environments. Sounding relatively good on home stereo, car stereo, boom box in an automotive garage. And so, the dynamics of the original recording get changed again. For it requires some file manipulation to make a soft note at low volume still have presence.

And because all professional recordings have been mastered, I find it funny when someone feels bad because they don't match the album. Well, thanks to all that studio magic, the original singer doesn't match the finished product, either.

So, Mochibas, I am assuming that you have such a mastering service to offer. And what is the end goal of this mastering process?

I ask because hard copy distribution is not what it used to be. An artist has to sell gold (US - 500,000 units) to even get a paycheck, if working with a record label. Solitary brick-and-mortar music stores are nearly extinct. My boss has not bought a cd in years. He buys gargantuan downloads and puts them in his 500 G usb hd and downloads to his ipod what he wants to hear. As do many others.

And they are listening ipods and ipod docking stations. Even the new bose stereos have an mp3 jack. So, really, the mastering needs to be geared toward what it sounds like as an mp3. And then, that gets played in a variety of listening environments.

It used to be that studios used near monitors, mid-size neutral reponse speakers around the control booth. Now, it really needs to be exported to mp3 and tested in mp3 players. That's not just the wave of the future, that's the wave of right now.

As for a brag sheet of artists who are pleased with the mastering, are there any big names? I am not aware, just now, if the still existing record labels are using subs for mastering or if they still do it, "in-house."

Last edited by ronws (2013-01-06 17:46:06)

"When the daylight is rising up in my eyes ..." - Klaus Meine

#3 2013-01-08 23:14:09

guitargeorge
TMV Forum Member

Re: Four Steps to Chose the Best Audio Mastering Services

I have recently discovered the free T-Sledge VST plug-in for mastering. It does a pretty good job, very quickly and easily.

Mind you I'm an amatuer musician with very little money with a budget, If I was making money then I might be happy to pay for something better :)

George can often be found playing electric stringy things, and singing... and then this happens

• Index
  •  » Recording
  •  » Four Steps to Chose the Best Audio Mastering Services
OTHER TMV WEB SITES: TMV RECOMMENDS: TMV RECOMMENDS: TMV RECOMMENDS:

Adverts

Board footer