TMV Partners

You are not logged in.

Announcement

GO HERE: www.TheModernVocalistWorld.com

ATTENTION TMV WORLD FORUM MEMBERS! YOU NEED TO GO LOGIN AND/OR REGISTER AT THE NEW AND IMPROVED TMV WORLD FORUM SYSTEM.

CLICK THIS LINK TO GO TO THE NEW FORUM. WHEN YOU ARRIVE AT THE NEW FORUM, LOGIN OR REGISTER AND THEN CLICK ON "GETTING STARTED". ALL OF THE POSTS AND TOPICS HAVE BEEN MIGRATED OVER AND EXISTING MEMBERS WILL BE LINKED BACK TO ALL THEIR POSTS IN THE NEW SYSTEM AFTER YOU LOGIN.

www.TheModernVocalistWorld.com

IF YOU ARE A NEW VISITOR THAT JUST JOINED US, YOU ARE INVITED TO COME OVER TO OUR NEW FORUM SYSTEM. CLICK THIS LINK TO GO THERE AND REGISTER.

www.TheModernVocalistWorld.com

Adverts

#1 2009-12-07 17:48:56

blackeyed28
TMV Forum Member

VoiceLive2 Quick Review and 1 Issue

joey,

i have had the VL2 for a little while now, ..and i think it's a great product.  i've found it very easy to program, ..very good job on the interface!   in just an hour or so, i have 4 generic settings...

1.  high harmony at -7db
2.  high harmony at -3db
3.  a slightly modified version of the slapback setting (preset 7 maybe)
4.  a slightly modified version of the "two high" settings (preset 13 maybe)

this pedal is nice b/c of the stompbox functionality.  i rarely use the harmony, ..so by default this is off, ..but it's there when i need it.  otherwise i've tweaked 1,2, and 4 to sound very similar (same reverb and delay settings, to my liking).  the slapback one (#3) is a special delay slapback that is very useful in a lot of 80s tunes (like INXS). 

then, i have 3 specialized presets for styx, def leppard, and bon jovi.  those presets have multiple steps to be able to get the mutt lang "gang chorus" type effects when i need them, ..and then be able to "step" back into a normal lead vocal. 

i think the harmonies are very realistic as long as you don't overdue them, ...a single harmony voice sounds much more realistic than 4 to my ears.  only in one case do i use 2 harmony voices, ...unless it's a specific effect i'm trying to do (like setting 1 for "7 bridges road", or the "another brick in the wall", or a mutt lang gang chorus effect). 

here is my ONLY problem, ..which hasn't been worked out yet.  the VL2 shines in the solo acoustic world.  but, i used it for the first time with my 4 piece rock band in a big venue with a huge house PA and i had a lot of issues.  i assume it was the VL2 b/c it was the only new variable and when i bypassed it (in tuner mode) everything was ok.  here is what i think happened, ...the stage volume was CRAZY loud.  this club has massive side fill monitors and wedges everywhere.  duing soundcheck, i set my gain using the auto-gain technique.  but, once the band kicked in, ...i think the bleed fooled the VL2's "adaptive" tone (compression, EQ, etc).  we struggled with all kinds of feedback and weirdness until i just bypassed it.  i remember looking down at the display and seeing a good inch of the input meter  just on the stage bleed.  i assume the VL2 adapted the tone settings to the bleed (and NOT my voice).  it was just going crazy.  i really don't know, ..but it wasn't good.  i know i can turn off the adaptive, ..but then i have to do some manual settings and i'm not sure what to set that to. 

here is my suggestion for possible future firmware release, ...with a certain (future) setting turned on, ...the gain setting procedure sets the adaptave EQ, compressor, etc, ...and then when it's over, ...those settings are stored and the adaptive part is disabled.  does this make sense ??  maybe not.  or, maybe for EQ, but not for compression.  i'm not exactly sure.  but i do think in a loud bleed situation, the adaptive tone needs to be turned off. 

most other gigs we play (where we run our PA), we use IEMs and have a much lower stage volume, ...so i'm hoping the VL2 works fine under those conditions.  i'll know soon.

hope this helps,
best,
scott

2009-12-07 17:48:56

AdBot
Advertisements

#2 2009-12-07 21:28:40

Joey @ TC Helicon
TMV Forum Member
Re: VoiceLive2 Quick Review and 1 Issue

Hiya Scott,

Thanks for getting in touch! Feedback from our users is really invaluable to us.

I would say the issues you described with this particular gig and your VoiceLive 2 is very much to do with the stage volume and the amount of bleed that went into your mic as a result. I know these situations are hard to control, but, it's always best (for your hearing also) to try and maintain a reasonable level on stage and make sure that your mic is as far away as possible from loud guitar amps etc. We find that singing really close to the mic (lips touching) really does help somewhat with this issue so this might be something you would want to try in future situations.

Another factor you might consider is the type of microphone you're using, as condenser mics tend to pick up more of the surrounding sound than dynamic mics do.

Thanks also for the suggestions regarding the adaptive tone control. I will make sure these are passed on to our technical team for their consideration.

Best Wishes,

Joey @ TC Helicon

#3 2009-12-22 18:28:43

latejulymusic
TMV Forum Member

blackeyed28 wrote:

most other gigs we play (where we run our PA), we use IEMs and have a much lower stage volume, ...so i'm hoping the VL2 works fine under those conditions.  i'll know soon.

hope this helps,
best,
scott

This is the best solution for using these pedals...In-Ears.  I will be posting up some information soon on Youtube about this.

#4 2010-03-09 05:33:00

blackeyed28
TMV Forum Member

i just wanted to follow up my initial review.

after many gigs, the VL2 is now an essential part of my gear.  i have ~10 presets now, ..i use the harmonies and doubling quite a bit now to thicken up the sound (not ON the whole time, ..just where it needs it).  being able to stomp on a delay, tap the tempo, add a cool effect, etc, ....is awesome.  i'm my own soundman now and i'm getting pretty good at it.

because of the issue mentioned in my initial post, ...i do not use the adaptive TONE setting.  i still get bleed from cymbals and it kind of messes that up a bit.  we do use IEMs on 95% of our gigs (we use them when we run our own sound) and it does help a lot.  sometimes i crack my bandmates up b/c i'm now using a tweaked choir mode to get the mutt lang "gang chorus" effect and it's amazing how great that works.  yet, i've not had one person tell me it sounds fake or bad or anything.  i did start very subtle and slowly brought them up into the mix over several gigs to a point that they fill in nicely and natural.  i love it.  once you get the hang of it, ..you can really add a lot to your vocal in a live setting.

best,
scott

#5 2010-03-26 01:36:36

blackeyed28
TMV Forum Member

hey all,

i've had a couple of people email me about my mutt lang "gang vocal" preset.  so, i created a small clip of it in action from the very first night i used it (live at a show).  as you can hear, the effect was so dramatic it shocked the guy who is singing lead on the song (and cracked the rest of us up).

www.blackeyedsusan.cc/VL2_GangVocal.mp3

enjoy!

#6 2010-04-22 03:04:37

blackeyed28
TMV Forum Member

i thought i would share this, ...an example of the VL2 in use:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AzJm5ZPpn2A

*watch in HD if you have the bandwidth

here's how i use my preset:
  a ducking delay is on for the entire song.
  punch in harmony on "are we gonne let the elevator..."
  punch in double on "come'on baby..lets get nuts" (at 2:30 in video)
  punch in double on ending "he's coming...  take me away...."

it's a very cool pedal.  i'm still loving it!!

#7 2011-03-09 08:31:51

jhon12
TMV Forum Member

I am wondering that I can find this post I really need this information and at last today I find it, thank for sharing such a nice information with me and with other user thanks a lot and great wishes, thanks

OTHER TMV WEB SITES: TMV RECOMMENDS: TMV RECOMMENDS: TMV RECOMMENDS:

Adverts

Board footer