TMV Partners

You are not logged in.

Announcement

GO HERE: www.TheModernVocalistWorld.com

ATTENTION TMV WORLD FORUM MEMBERS! YOU NEED TO GO LOGIN AND/OR REGISTER AT THE NEW AND IMPROVED TMV WORLD FORUM SYSTEM.

CLICK THIS LINK TO GO TO THE NEW FORUM. WHEN YOU ARRIVE AT THE NEW FORUM, LOGIN OR REGISTER AND THEN CLICK ON "GETTING STARTED". ALL OF THE POSTS AND TOPICS HAVE BEEN MIGRATED OVER AND EXISTING MEMBERS WILL BE LINKED BACK TO ALL THEIR POSTS IN THE NEW SYSTEM AFTER YOU LOGIN.

www.TheModernVocalistWorld.com

IF YOU ARE A NEW VISITOR THAT JUST JOINED US, YOU ARE INVITED TO COME OVER TO OUR NEW FORUM SYSTEM. CLICK THIS LINK TO GO THERE AND REGISTER.

www.TheModernVocalistWorld.com

Adverts

#1 2009-11-23 02:35:00

Puissance
TMV Forum Member

What Microphone Do You Use for Vocals?

Hi,

Just wondering what mics people use for vocals. Here are my picks:

Studio: Rode NT1-A
Live: Shure SM58

For vocal percussion, the Behringer XM8500 is actually very good. It's enhances the lower frequencies, so you get more punch. Some say that it compares to the SM58 at a much more affordable price.

How about you? What do you all like to use?

2009-11-23 02:35:00

AdBot
Advertisements

#2 2009-11-23 13:00:22

CentreOfTheUniverse
TMV Forum Member
Re: What Microphone Do You Use for Vocals?

at the moment....

studio: Rode NT1000

studio/live: Audio Technica AE5400

live: Sennheiser e945, Audix OM7 (thinking of trying out the new EV PL80A)

dude i can bet you money that i could give you a list of various hand held dynamic mics that you would like more than the Shure SM58 for live vocals!

#3 2009-11-24 01:08:27

Puissance
TMV Forum Member

Haha, never had the chance to try other mics live. I looked up the Audix OM7 and it looks like its got some nice specs.

#4 2009-11-27 12:50:20

CentreOfTheUniverse
TMV Forum Member

yeah the OM7 is a pretty good mic but it is has a more specific use I.E. VERY loud environments. if your using a mic in more normal volume settings then there are better sounding mics. if your on a budget i would have a look at the ElectroVoice N/D767a or the Sennheiser e840 or with more money Sennheiser e945, Audio Technica AE6100. there are others too all of which sound better than the SM58 IMO.

#5 2009-11-30 21:24:42

RaumKlang
TMV Forum Member

CentreOfTheUniverse wrote:

there are others too all of which sound better than the SM58 IMO.

Replace "others" with "all" ;-)

#6 2009-12-16 00:09:25

Trick
TMV Forum Member

Hey I'm new to the forum and will give some of my thoughts on quality vocal mics for live use.  This is all within a budget, there is always better out there but I will retain cost where I think most gigging performers are willing to spend.  I work mostly as an audio engineer and many microphones only work best with certain vocals and monitor placement. (If not using IEMs, it's wise to look into the polar pattern of your mic and decide what will give you the best coverage and suit your needs to hear yourself to suppress feedback. Although coverage is still important if using IEMs). So I think  the best advice is to go and test out what mic works for you and the timbre of your voice. Also take someone with you that knows your voice and have them listen too.

I'm going to keep this in the $100-$200 price range. On my voice I was typically using a Sennheiser e935 which I think is a great all around mic on most. I recently purchased an AKG D5 and I must say it is up there with the Sennheiser and more budget friendly at $100. I have never liked Shure SM58, I'm always pulling out lo mids centered around 250hz. I think it sounds muffled. Good for speech though. The Sennheiser e835, Audix OMs also are great mics.  There are so many out there that you may find one that works great for you. Other reputable lines are Heil (check out the PR20 PR22 , EV (on many of the N/D series, i always think there is a little too much presence peak, much like the Beta 58), Audio Technica. Hope this can help someone out. I am still very impressed with the D5 and I suggest trying one out.  Here's another forum where other engineers have commented on the D5: http://srforums.prosoundweb.com/index.p … msg_497918
thanks,
Sean

Last edited by Trick (2009-12-16 04:34:14)

#7 2009-12-16 02:48:31

Robert Lunte
TMV World Forum - Founder
Website

This is one of my strong points... since we train on live facilities at TVS... I get a lot of the best handheld mics sent to me... my favs are:

EV 767a (best all round showing/value)
RODE M1(best in durability & anti-feedback. Best replacement for the SM58)

Telefunken M-80 (lush, great for ballads, women and light genre's)
HEIL PR-35 (Best mic on the market for sound, but feels big and clunky in your hand. A luxury, if you want to pay for it).
RODE M2 (for condenser)
(superb condenser mic, perhaps a bit "feedy", but what hand held condenser isnt?... RODE reliability and has nice on/off switch on it).
BLUE 200 (for condenser)
(a great design for a hand held condenser. I prefer this marginally over the RODE, because I think its more durable and when I played with it in my studio, it seemes less "feedy-backish").

.... Wating to get my hands on the DSV-11 made by Equation Audio... soon , and then i can report on another, underground... unknown gem.  Ok, Im a mic geek, I collect these things!

#8 2009-12-16 02:49:00

Robert Lunte
Website

Centre has some experience with mics too... like me , he is a mic collecting geek.

#9 2009-12-27 10:27:56

James Lugo
TMV Forum Member

I've got a vintage Neumann U67 (July '65), Neumann U87 (Sept '86), Wagner U47w to name a few. Pretty slutty collection at my spot.:P

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a53/jameslugo/IMG00055-20091212-1210.jpg
http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a53/jameslugo/mics780.jpg
http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a53/jameslugo/IMG_1244.jpg
http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a53/jameslugo/shootout-11-10-07039.jpg
http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a53/jameslugo/c800.jpg
http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a53/jameslugo/IMG_1967.jpg

Last edited by James Lugo (2009-12-27 10:29:01)

http://www.VocalAsylum.com
http://www.SSLMixingOnline.com
Skype voice lessons available. Skype: jameslugo
Clients Include: American Idol, Glee, The Smashing Pumpkins, 311, A Fine Frenzy, The Veronica's

#10 2010-01-22 15:27:13

Travis_North
TMV Forum Member

Let's limit the scope here to live mic applications.

A lot of it depends on your voice type.  A mic that sounds great with one person may sound not so good with another.  So you will need to experiment on your own to see what sounds best with your voice.

That being said, when selecting a mic for myself there are a couple criteria I look for:

1.  Ergonomics:  It has to be weighted right and fit my hand comfortably without fatigue.  A tired or fatigued hand halfway through the set is just inviting tension creep in the rest of the body and ultimately the voice.

2.  Voice Match:  This is obvious but how does it sound with my voice?  Is it boomy, thin, or relatively balanced sounding.  A good rule of thumb is to use a slightly thinner more trebly sounding mic for bigger voices and bigger sounding mic for thinner voices.  My voice is tenor range with quite a bit of natural ping  so for everyday application my default mic is the EV 767a.  This seems to work in most rooms however if I get a really boomy sounding room I will switch over to an Audix OM5 or Shure Beta 87a.  For live applications you want to have 1 big sounding mic and one thinner sounding mic.  By doing this you can actually have a lot of control over your sound in the room without having to mess with EQ which invites other issues.  The best solution is always the simpliest.

3.  Cut:  You can't fully tell how your mic is going to work until you apply it to a real live application.. i.e. your band.  Your vocals are the most important thing about your music so they should cut through over the rest of the mix.  If we get technical the mic that sounds best with you and has the most cut probably has a few bumps across the frequency spectrum that compliment your voice.  For example the EV 767a that works for me has a slow rise of about +15db from 500hz up to about 8khz and then another bump at about 12.5khz

4.  Cost/Value:  Don't set yourself up with a particular price point in what you want to spend on a mic.  A $500 live vocal mic may have a certain exclusivity appeal but it won't necessarily make you sound like a god.  My favorite mic costed me $130 yet I have a $400 mic in the closet that I used only a few times. 

That being said here are the mic's I've used that have worked well for me by favorite to least favorite:

1.  EV N/D767a
2.  Audix OM5
3.  Shure Beta87a
4.  Audio Technica AE5400
5.  Heil PR-35 (I think.. but jury is still out on this one)
6.  Shure Beta58

Travis North
http://www.themodernvocalist.com/profile/TravisNorth
http://www.myspace.com/travisnorth

#11 2010-02-06 20:56:12

classical guitar
TMV Forum Member

My band uses really nice electric drums and in-ears, so we don't deal with stage volume.

For the value, i can't seem to beat the shure 87c.  Does a good job at rejecting what little high frequency sounds do splash back at me off the back of walls.

#12 2010-02-07 20:46:16

Robert Lunte
Website

Travis_North wrote:

Let's limit the scope here to live mic applications.

A lot of it depends on your voice type.  A mic that sounds great with one person may sound not so good with another.  So you will need to experiment on your own to see what sounds best with your voice.

That being said, when selecting a mic for myself there are a couple criteria I look for:

1.  Ergonomics:  It has to be weighted right and fit my hand comfortably without fatigue.  A tired or fatigued hand halfway through the set is just inviting tension creep in the rest of the body and ultimately the voice.

2.  Voice Match:  This is obvious but how does it sound with my voice?  Is it boomy, thin, or relatively balanced sounding.  A good rule of thumb is to use a slightly thinner more trebly sounding mic for bigger voices and bigger sounding mic for thinner voices.  My voice is tenor range with quite a bit of natural ping  so for everyday application my default mic is the EV 767a.  This seems to work in most rooms however if I get a really boomy sounding room I will switch over to an Audix OM5 or Shure Beta 87a.  For live applications you want to have 1 big sounding mic and one thinner sounding mic.  By doing this you can actually have a lot of control over your sound in the room without having to mess with EQ which invites other issues.  The best solution is always the simpliest.

3.  Cut:  You can't fully tell how your mic is going to work until you apply it to a real live application.. i.e. your band.  Your vocals are the most important thing about your music so they should cut through over the rest of the mix.  If we get technical the mic that sounds best with you and has the most cut probably has a few bumps across the frequency spectrum that compliment your voice.  For example the EV 767a that works for me has a slow rise of about +15db from 500hz up to about 8khz and then another bump at about 12.5khz

4.  Cost/Value:  Don't set yourself up with a particular price point in what you want to spend on a mic.  A $500 live vocal mic may have a certain exclusivity appeal but it won't necessarily make you sound like a god.  My favorite mic costed me $130 yet I have a $400 mic in the closet that I used only a few times. 

That being said here are the mic's I've used that have worked well for me by favorite to least favorite:

1.  EV N/D767a
2.  Audix OM5
3.  Shure Beta87a
4.  Audio Technica AE5400
5.  Heil PR-35 (I think.. but jury is still out on this one)
6.  Shure Beta58

Travis North
http://www.themodernvocalist.com/profile/TravisNorth
http://www.myspace.com/travisnorth

Good post Travis... I have to add to my post above...

Make no mistake, the new HEIL PR-35 is really great!!  But you will pay the price for it... its not the best value in my opinion... that still goes out to the EV767a, but if you want the fancy pants, hand-held dynamic mic and you got the scratch to pay for it... its the HEIL PR-35...

If you want reliability, durability and anti-feedback characteristics... and a mic that will let you finally toss that 58 , the new RODE M1 is excellent live mic.

I recently was given the new BLUE 200... I have the 100 and its ... lame.  But the condenser 200 model with the copper top... is a really good hand held, condenser mic.

#13 2010-02-07 23:51:19

joshual
TMV Forum Member

For Studio: T-Bone SCT2000 ( tube mic): really worth the price for home-studio.

Live: Beta58A

#14 2010-02-28 19:33:21

EmmaJo109
TMV Forum Member

My first post! :D I am a female rock singer with a relatively high range, with that in mind...

Studio
I used a vintage Neumann U87 - crystal clear and beautiful.

Live
I've been debating for awhile which mic to buy for my personal use (so I don't have to use the SM58 that every club in Kansas City supplies) and finally settled on the great-sounding, rock vocal specific Beyerdynamic Opus 89. It's killer!

#15 2010-03-01 01:02:02

vamacoustics
TMV Forum Member

I bet not too many people know what a great mic Peavey manufactures. I have two. My main lead vocal mic is extremely light weight and supercomfortable, it is the Peavey ProCOMM PCX U12
http://www.dcmusicstore.com/Peavey-Hand … m-PCX-U-12

As a back up wired unit, I use The Peavey PVM 22 http://pro-audio.musiciansfriend.com/pr … sku=271360
its a very high quality microphone. Both microphones offer superior clarity and range. Lots of great mic's to chooses from from so many companies. Never hesitate to try a Peavey out.
Byron

#16 2010-03-15 05:34:27

gforcerox
TMV Forum Member

I've been singing for roughly 20+ yrs.not to give away my age,since I am singing with guys half my age younger at the moment,,,ha.Everyone always has their favorites when it comes to mics.But I have always stuck with shure mics through thick and thin,they are pretty durable and always have a good sound.Even when accidentally spilled stuff on them,.let them dry out the next day,and back in business.I am using a Beta87a wireless-SLX series right now,and have a beta 58a wireless as a backup,.but have never used it much.Only if I am not stocked up on batteries at the time,.will grab,the back up,,,,,which rarely happens.The condenser mics seem to have a big sound,which is Important for singing over top marshal half stacks of your guitar player pounding it in your ears,......;)

#17 2010-03-15 06:28:07

auramac
TMV Forum Member

I love the Heil PR 35. And the Rode M! is a great cut-through-the noise mic, as is the EV. Anyone try the Blue 300 yet?

#18 2010-04-29 04:57:35

aldertate
TMV Forum Member

Good to see all the love for the EV series... I love my 767... it's a beauty... for studio I use an AT4033.. it's ok... looking to eventually snag a blue or a 414. My chain isn't worthy of a Neumann U87.. not even that inexpensive one they released years ago.. lmao.. Had a Rhode NT1.. hated it... gave it to a guitarist... :)

#19 2010-05-14 13:52:38

nightfly68
TMV Forum Member

This year was my "mic year" changing a lot of things in my stock of microphones (and coming back to live music after a pause period)

For many years I've been with a
Shure Beta Green 2.0 (the first neodymium line bout 20 years ago)
then.. with a Shure SM58

Last summer I took my first condenser for studio and live
A Rode NT2a and a Rode M2 (1 $ offer in bundle with the first one) a little bit feedy, but good sounding.

Last Christmas... the chinese investment...:cool:
the 3 microphones that changed my perception on value for money... from Superlux

- 238 PRO MK II : a wonderful handeld large diaphgram (39 €)
- S 125 (live condenserd with a great sensibility, feedback resistant, and extremely linear, for any use...) (49 €)
- PRO 248 Beta (a clone.. better than the original, as sound.... of Shure Beta 58), you can put it inside the speakers, without feedback... :D, probably the one I use more... giving my sm 58 to other people for karaoke gigs...

Last arrived.. as bundle gift with Voicelive 2  an AKG D5... not yet well analysed like the others...

now.. stop.... :rolleyes:

#20 2010-05-27 07:51:37

auramac
TMV Forum Member

I too am interested in the equation Audio mics. Any verdict yet?...

#21 2010-08-17 10:32:55

Rawg71
TMV Forum Member

I envy anyone with a Neumann U87.

the 2 condensers I use are:

My cheapo MXL 990...sounds surprisingly good

and a Sure KSM9...my hot rod :)

#22 2010-08-18 02:02:24

ronws
TMV Forum Member

All I have is the little desk mic you can buy at Office Depot.

But I have 4 track analog recording machine and that has an okay mic though it sounds crackly. Considering that it and the recording machine are about 20 years old.

I feel naked.

Last edited by ronws (2010-08-18 02:04:16)

"When the daylight is rising up in my eyes ..." - Klaus Meine

#23 2010-08-18 16:34:19

Adolph Namlik
Executive Director, The Modern Vocalist World

ronws,

Enter the current TMV Contest - "Win the PL-80a Microphone"  !
You could get lucky !!!

Last edited by Adolph Namlik (2010-08-18 16:35:47)

Adolph C. Namlik
Executive Director ~ The Modern Vocalist World
Western N.Y.
adolph@themodernvocalist.com
http://www.themodernvocalist.com/profile/AdolphNamlik
Email : chief188@hughes.net
716~257~9606
"My Life's A Stage"

#24 2010-08-18 16:43:47

Adolph Namlik

Rawg 71,

I, too would like to own a Neumann or a Rode condenser, but the budget doesn't permit such a purchase as of yet.

I think I'd rather use the word "inexpensive" rather than "cheapo" regarding the MXL condensers.
I have a MXL 9090 with the dual capsule that I purchased for under $100.00 and suits my voice very well. SWEET !!!

Good luck locating one these days, however.

Adolph C. Namlik
Western N.Y.
716~257~9606
"My Life's A Stage"

#25 2010-08-18 19:43:14

Rawg71
TMV Forum Member

Adolph,

You are right about the MXL being a really good sounding mic for the price. I bought the MXL kit that came with the 990 and the 991 for like $69.00. Maybe cheapo is a harsh word...lol...but today I will throw out political correctness and consider it an endearment. Its neat when you find a mic that works with you and a small tag to boot.

The sure KSM9 I have though....that thing is insane clarity.....I think it picks up my thoughts :P

#26 2010-12-05 03:48:52

ronws
TMV Forum Member

Now, I have something to contribute to this thread. Angel sent me the greatest gift for someone like myself. I received a Fame CM-1 condenser studio mic, stand, holder, pop filter, headphones, cable, and Guitarface II USB interface. I am currently learning it's workings. And man, this thing is sensitive. I sang from 1.5 feet away from the pop filter and I still went wall to wall on the track waveform guides on a few high notes. Of course, this was on "Rainbow in the Dark," which I seem to have a really bright tone on. So, I would probably have to back away from the mic just a little bit more. But at least I learned to adjust the input level on the interface.

I realize that others have more expensive mics but, for me, this is light-years above the little desk mic I have been using from Office Depot. This one captures so much of my tone and overtones. Even the crashing depth of the signature Ronnie James Dio "Look out!"

I am still recording with Audacity and actually, it can mix pretty well, for general purposes. Of course, I knew, that having a decent, real singing mic would make a world of difference.

#27 2010-12-05 04:46:25

sl0wkarate
TMV Forum Member

I'm currently using an MXL USB.006. It was the only USB plug n play condenser mic I could afford at guitar center at the time. It beats using the rockband mic I was using hah. All in all I am really pleased with the performance of it.

#28 2010-12-05 08:45:16

Snorth
TMV Forum Member

I'm a poor bastard but I'm very pleased with my shure sm7b for my current needs. Got a M-audio Fast track Ultra sound card with that and a M-audio DMP3 preamp when I need more precise gain.

#29 2010-12-05 13:41:32

ronws
TMV Forum Member

Don't worry guys, I'm a poor bastard, right now, as well. As I said, an angel looked upon me and had faith in my voice and had the ability to help me. And one day, it will be my turn, and I will help others. Maybe even help an angel.

#30 2010-12-11 10:29:46

shredder00
TMV Forum Member

hey guys,

am an amateur in mics and my church's on a shoestring budget to get a mic which is good and cheap. the recommendations i've been getting are:
1) sennheiser e835s
2 sennheiser e845s
3) shure sm58

been hearing that shure sm58's are overrated and sennheiser's have better frequency range. but i guess it's a good safe pick to go for the sm58?

not sure which one is cheaper in my country (from Malaysia), but i presume i won't go wrong with both?

need the mic for singing, speaking/preaching and potentially recording? priority to singing and speaking/preaching.

thanks in advance for the input guys!

#31 2010-12-11 14:50:32

ronws
TMV Forum Member

I'm no expert, either. Many is the person who has made quite a bit of music with SM58. For the price, it is a pretty good deal. Robert Lunte, founder of this forum and website has a thread or two regarding the effectiveness of mics along with their price and what the best budget mic is. And he is a vocal and mic pro, a self-professed mic "geek." So, search for his posts to help you.  But if the sm 58 is in your budget, get that one. And it may be well suited for the music that you do. Some of the others suggested here are specifically helpful for high-pitched heavy metal and vocal distortion (rasp and growl).

#32 2010-12-13 00:16:45

TimmyP1955
TMV Forum Member

shredder00 wrote:

hey guys,

am an amateur in mics and my church's on a shoestring budget to get a mic which is good and cheap. the recommendations i've been getting are:
1) sennheiser e835s
2 sennheiser e845s
3) shure sm58

I'll take the 835 over the sm58 (or beta 59) any day.

The 845 sounds a little better, but does not reject unwanted sound as well, so I'd stick with the 835 (or 935 if you can afford it).

#33 2010-12-22 05:15:37

shredder00
TMV Forum Member

Cheers guys! Appreciate the feedback :) I think I'll go for the Sennheiser E835s as most say it's better than SM58 and the SM58's overrated.

Btw, wouldn't the E845 have more feedback since hypercardioid mics are able to pick up sound from the back of mcs?

#34 2011-01-19 05:58:08

doca
TMV Forum Member

I have tried the Blue 300 and was quite disappointed.  It sounds very thin and hollow when you hit the higher register.  I currently own the Blue Encore 200 and like it quite a bit.  It's on the bright side but not overly so.  Crisp, yet fairly warm and very consistent from the low notes to the high notes.  The built is robust and is of high quality.  I like it better than the Seinheiser E series ( lack gain but seems to be uncolored which is a plus for many singer )  and, of course, much better than the Shure SM58.   The Blue 300, on the other hand, is not as well constructed and is below par in all facets to the cheaper Encore 200.  Could I possibly got a lemon when I bought the Blue Encore 300?   I returned it after one day of trying it out.
I also own the EV RE410 condenser mic.  Sweet sounding mic ( esp for raspy voice singer ).  However, if you are a dynamic singer, it tends to distort if you are not careful.  Feedback is a bit of an issue as well.
AE 5400 is also a very nice mic ... smooth, lush sounding.
Definitely want to take Robert Lunte's advice and have an extended try out of the EV 767A ( sang with it a couple years ago and was impressed but did not get a chance to truly test it out ), Heil PR 35 ( probably the most positive reviewed mic online ), Opus 89, and Telefunken M80.

#35 2011-01-23 14:10:03

ronws
TMV Forum Member

It was only in the last few years that Bruce Dickinson changed to headset (what he calls "radio") mics. Up until then, even with a wireless adapter, he used the indestructible tank, the Shure SM58. Of course, he has a unique voice that does well on that mic.

Last edited by ronws (2011-01-23 14:11:45)

#36 2011-01-23 18:31:06

auramac
TMV Forum Member

If one can afford it, definitely go with the Heil Pr35. It's a thing of beauty. I'd also go with the Sennheiser E835 or 935 over the Shure 58 anyday. Or the Rode M1- beats the crap out of it.

#37 2011-01-23 20:33:53

ronws
TMV Forum Member

Good suggestions, auramac. If I had the money and some professional gigs lined up, I would probably get the Heil though Lunte's demo of the Rode M1 is right up my alley as far as sound goes.

#38 2011-03-13 12:52:36

jhon12
TMV Forum Member

Nice pics, keep up the good work.

#39 2011-03-13 20:34:08

IK Obi
TMV Forum Member

I'm using a Kel HM7U, a Oktava MK-319 and for live I have an Audix i5 and a Blue 200. :)

#40 2011-04-17 22:56:22

acekincaid
TMV Forum Member

my personal fav is the AKG 3700. i love that i can use it with cable or switch it out to wirless. it also sounds great fer my voice.
never had any probs or complaints with AKG... ;)

#41 2011-04-18 05:31:12

TimmyP1955
TMV Forum Member

ronws wrote:

I sang from 1.5 feet away from the pop filter and I still went wall to wall on the track waveform guides on a few high notes. Of course, this was on "Rainbow in the Dark," which I seem to have a really bright tone on. So, I would probably have to back away from the mic just a little bit more. But at least I learned to adjust the input level on the interface.

Backing away will decrease the lows and low mids.  Turn the pad on or turn the gain down, so you can sing at the distance that gives you the best sound with no EQ.  (Plus, the farther back you are, the more room reflections the mic will pick up, messing up the tone because of comb filtering.)

#42 2011-05-10 16:08:39

nightfly68
TMV Forum Member

nightfly68 wrote:

This year was my "mic year" changing a lot of things in my stock of microphones (and coming back to live music after a pause period)

For many years I've been with a
Shure Beta Green 2.0 (the first neodymium line bout 20 years ago)
then.. with a Shure SM58

Last summer I took my first condenser for studio and live
A Rode NT2a and a Rode M2 (1 $ offer in bundle with the first one) a little bit feedy, but good sounding.

Last Christmas... the chinese investment...:cool:
the 3 microphones that changed my perception on value for money... from Superlux

- 238 PRO MK II : a wonderful handeld large diaphgram (39 €)
- S 125 (live condenserd with a great sensibility, feedback resistant, and extremely linear, for any use...) (49 €)
- PRO 248 Beta (a clone.. better than the original, as sound.... of Shure Beta 58), you can put it inside the speakers, without feedback... :D, probably the one I use more... giving my sm 58 to other people for karaoke gigs...

Last arrived.. as bundle gift with Voicelive 2  an AKG D5... not yet well analysed like the others...

now.. stop.... :rolleyes:

update...

I took an EV 767 for live performing.. and it's fantastic. It match perfectly with my voice and style.
Now I'm only tented to take a TC Helicon MP-75 as I'm a VOicelive 2 user and have the controlling switch on it.
Other update possible is a tube microphone after the condenser one for studio recordings.
But I'm waiting to find a C12 clone (like Apex 460 or HST-11) already modded with capsule, tube, and circuit.

#43 2011-07-15 07:21:12

danielclark243
TMV Forum Member

yes i am using that microphone at my home ................
===============
web design

#44 2013-10-25 18:10:44

dickiefunk
TMV Forum Member

I use either a Neumann TLM102 or modded Oktava MK319 for studio.

For live I've tried SM58, Beta 58, Sennheiser E935, E845, E838, AKG D5 and have just picked up a Rode M2.

My favorite is probably the E935 but I've been very impressed with the E838 and AKG D5! I haven't really given the Rode M2 a proper try out yet so the verdict is out on this one at the moment.

I would like to try the Heil PR22 and EV N/D767a at some point soon.

#45 2014-01-13 23:19:30

Mogitts
TMV Forum Member

XLR and USB everything I have now is by MXL I have no complaints.

#46 2014-01-14 07:32:30

DonRoos
TMV Forum Member

I had budget for an SM58 and went to buy one. In the store I got to do a side-by-side comparison with a Rhode M1. The 1 won and I bought it. I also have 2SM58's but use them for other purposes and as backup and in the practice room.

#47 2014-03-15 07:39:54

Adveser
TMV Forum Member

MXL 880
EV N/D767a
Nady SPC-25

#48 2014-05-06 11:29:58

Khassera
TMV Forum Member

Got rid of my Beta 58a and ordered the EV 767. Psyched to try it out.

I dunno why the Beta gets a bad rap, though. I liked it after equalization.

If I wasn't such a poor bastard (and saving up for pillars) I'd get the senn 945 also.

Last edited by Khassera (2014-05-06 11:31:50)

"'Means are many' said the hag as she wiped the table with a cat."

#49 2014-05-06 18:37:26

Adolph Namlik

Khassera wrote:

Got rid of my Beta 58a and ordered the EV 767. Psyched to try it out.

I dunno why the Beta gets a bad rap, though. I liked it after equalization.

If I wasn't such a poor bastard (and saving up for pillars) I'd get the senn 945 also.

Definitely keep saving up for Pillars !!! It's worth every penny and I guarantee you won't be disappointed. I have every update and that, too was very well worth the investment !!! More to add in the "TVS vs KTVA" post when I get a spare moment....

The Sennheiser e945 ROCKS !!!

And I also agree with you about the Shure Beta 58a. I know - everyone raves over the "straight" 58, but I'm not fond of it....

My other favorites :

Rode M-1
ND767a

Adolph C. Namlik
Western N.Y.
716~257~9606
"My Life's A Stage"

#50 2014-05-08 15:36:27

Khassera
TMV Forum Member

Well, looks like I also had to buy the e945. I bought it new for about 100usd, just couldn't pass the offer by. :cool:

"'Means are many' said the hag as she wiped the table with a cat."

OTHER TMV WEB SITES: TMV RECOMMENDS: TMV RECOMMENDS: TMV RECOMMENDS:

Adverts

Board footer