TMV Partners

You are not logged in.

Announcement

GO HERE: www.TheModernVocalistWorld.com

ATTENTION TMV WORLD FORUM MEMBERS! YOU NEED TO GO LOGIN AND/OR REGISTER AT THE NEW AND IMPROVED TMV WORLD FORUM SYSTEM.

CLICK THIS LINK TO GO TO THE NEW FORUM. WHEN YOU ARRIVE AT THE NEW FORUM, LOGIN OR REGISTER AND THEN CLICK ON "GETTING STARTED". ALL OF THE POSTS AND TOPICS HAVE BEEN MIGRATED OVER AND EXISTING MEMBERS WILL BE LINKED BACK TO ALL THEIR POSTS IN THE NEW SYSTEM AFTER YOU LOGIN.

www.TheModernVocalistWorld.com

IF YOU ARE A NEW VISITOR THAT JUST JOINED US, YOU ARE INVITED TO COME OVER TO OUR NEW FORUM SYSTEM. CLICK THIS LINK TO GO THERE AND REGISTER.

www.TheModernVocalistWorld.com

Adverts

#1 2012-11-16 05:42:06

Adveser
TMV Forum Member
Using Phasing Effects

PhaseBug - Its primary function is to shift the phase of an incoming audio signal. This is a critical function in fixing source signals that have phase errors in relation to one another, which can cause inappropriate cancellation or reinforcement of frequencies in a mix.

http://www.betabugsaudio.com/plugs.php

http://www.betabugsaudio.com/dl.php?id=16

I've been using this plugin the last couple of weeks. I am using it to replace an old technique I had where I would duplicate the vocal track and delay it by 50ms.

Making a duplicate track and setting the phase at a 90 degree difference and keeping it center panned gives a reverb-like  effect.

This is how I set everything up for vocals:

Track 1: Original set at -3db at the fader
Track 2: -90 Phase, Left Channel, -15db at the fader
Track 3: +90 Phase, Right Channel, -15db at the fader

I have an alternate scheme where if there's an additional background vocal, I do the following:

BG Vox 1: Original, set at -12db (I either keep this one or delete it, depending on what I want to do)
BG Vox 2: +120 Phase, Left Channel, -12db
BG Vox 3: -120 Phase, Right Channel, -12db

Or I use the standard duplicate opposite channel with inverted phase

BG Vox 1 Original Phase, Left Channel
BG Vox 2 +/-180 (it's the same thing) , Right Channel

The thinking is that the background vocals are 120 degrees off axis from the original vocals.

The voice is often off-axis and this makes it pan right and left when you do it this way, but in a way that preserves the mono center channel stereo field. What tricks do you use to get the most out of phase delays on your vocals?

2012-11-16 05:42:06

AdBot
Advertisements

#2 2012-11-17 14:05:46

ronws
TMV Forum Member

Re: Using Phasing Effects

You went over my head on that one. I mean, I know electronics, I'm just saying I stink at recording. I have very simple gear, the equivalent of singing into a soupcan with string.

My mics are good, the Fame CM-1 and the Sennheiser e835. The CM-! is a condenser mic and gets +48V from the USB interface, It is really sensitive.

I have a guitarface II USB interface. It has 2 channels. Each channel can be adjusted using a switch between +48, direct input, and instrument. Each channel has an output level control. But they do not have input controls.

And that is USB connected to my old computer I affectionately refer to as "Frankenstein." He was built out of parts that were spare parts back in 2005. P 330 processor, 40G HD and I had to partition off a bad sector a few years ago. No fancy sound board, just whatever came on the mother board. I joke that there is a crank on the back for starting, like the Ford Model A.  My monitor is hand shadow puppets in front of a candle. And the best part is the horn on the side that goes "ahh -ooooooooh-guh"

I record into audacity, which also has a control for mic input levels. Once in blue moon, I accidently get things right.

If I had the money, it would be nice to get decent recording software that allows real time adjustment of effects. For a real producer mixes by ear, not by the graph.  If the pros mixed by graphs, they could have pre-sets and macros and be done with an album in 10 minutes or whatever. But a pro does an initial mix and then lets it sit a day. It can take as much time to mix a song as it did to record it. And having the right producer with the right sound ideal can make the difference. AC/DC and the album Highway to Hell did not have a breakthrough album or hit until that album. What is special about that album is that it is the first AC/DC album to be produced by Robert "Mutt" Lange, who also produced Def Leppard, and a host of others. Because he has the "ear."

The problem with audacity is that you cannot change the effect in real time. You choose the effect and it covers whatever track you have highlighted, the entire track. To me, it would sound better if I could mix analog style, in playback, like the old school.

"When the daylight is rising up in my eyes ..." - Klaus Meine

#3 2012-11-20 00:59:57

Mr Bounce
TMV Forum Member

Why not use traditional chorus effects? All the major DAW's have built-in chorus effects without needing to buy more VSTs/AUs/RTAS.

#4 2012-12-08 06:49:49

Slow Start
TMV Forum Member

Ron, have you ever tried the KRISTAL Audio Engine? It's a similar software to Audacity (which is my primary and preferred recording program for my purposes) but with more multitrack and realtime adjustment dials. Like I said, I'm more of an Audacity guy so I honestly haven't used KRISTAL in about a year or two, but I recall it might have more of the kind of stuff you dig... just perhaps. :)

http://www.kreatives.org/kristal/

UPDATE! Please provide feedback for my NEWEST Kodaline High Hopes Practice Cover - http://themodernvocalist.punbb-hosting. … p?id=10062

My Soundcloud- http://soundcloud.com/bchen929 -
A continuous work in progress, always improving.

#5 2012-12-11 08:50:22

peterwilliamschiHI
TMV Forum Member

Harmonics in the highest frequencies, although well beyond the range of human ears, have a phase canceling effect that effects the ultimate tone of a sound.

#6 2012-12-11 15:58:38

FelipeCarvalho
TMV Forum Member
Website

Reaper...

#7 2013-04-24 08:12:36

andrewpeters
TMV Forum Member

I would love to know more about this topic.

OTHER TMV WEB SITES: TMV RECOMMENDS: TMV RECOMMENDS: TMV RECOMMENDS:

Adverts

Board footer