TMV Partners

You are not logged in.

Announcement

GO HERE: www.TheModernVocalistWorld.com

ATTENTION TMV WORLD FORUM MEMBERS! YOU NEED TO GO LOGIN AND/OR REGISTER AT THE NEW AND IMPROVED TMV WORLD FORUM SYSTEM.

CLICK THIS LINK TO GO TO THE NEW FORUM. WHEN YOU ARRIVE AT THE NEW FORUM, LOGIN OR REGISTER AND THEN CLICK ON "GETTING STARTED". ALL OF THE POSTS AND TOPICS HAVE BEEN MIGRATED OVER AND EXISTING MEMBERS WILL BE LINKED BACK TO ALL THEIR POSTS IN THE NEW SYSTEM AFTER YOU LOGIN.

www.TheModernVocalistWorld.com

IF YOU ARE A NEW VISITOR THAT JUST JOINED US, YOU ARE INVITED TO COME OVER TO OUR NEW FORUM SYSTEM. CLICK THIS LINK TO GO THERE AND REGISTER.

www.TheModernVocalistWorld.com

Adverts

#1 2012-09-05 15:23:06

mrmulti
TMV Forum Member
I find that I like a flat recording better.

What is the best way to record vocals?  In most cases when hearing a song on the radio, i am not aware of the reverb.  when i record my own songs.  I try to add reverb, but find i like it better dry.  Maybe a double on the chorus.   Should you ALWAYS add reverb?

2012-09-05 15:23:06

AdBot
Advertisements

#2 2012-09-08 14:26:59

ronws
TMV Forum Member

Re: I find that I like a flat recording better.

My recorded vocals are all dry and flat. Because the latency stinks in my recording software and the effects are not real-time. I record vocals with one headphone off while hearing the backing track in the other.

Any effects on my vocal tracks are post recording. And if I have someone else mix my vocals for me, I send it to them just as it is recorded, no compressor or volume adjustment. If I had a fancier recording rig, I might have more to offer this discussion. But, essentially, I sing acoustically, with no special effect.

"When the daylight is rising up in my eyes ..." - Klaus Meine

#3 2012-09-08 16:20:04

FelipeCarvalho
TMV Forum Member
Website

If you close mic, then yes, you will need reverb.

But reverb is not meant to make it "better", its necessary and should never be overdone, if you are noticing it work, you need less.

On commercial recordings, the use is precise, it emulates the room where everything is sitting, you cant notice because its working close to what a natural reverb would sound like. If you pay attention, you will notice the decay time of it. Listen to 80's rock recordings, like Whitesnake, the sound of the snare is huge and wide, you will have a better clue to find it on the vocals, its there, I assure you.

#4 2012-09-09 01:04:54

ronws
TMV Forum Member

FelipeCarvalho wrote:

Listen to 80's rock recordings, like Whitesnake, the sound of the snare is huge and wide, you will have a better clue to find it on the vocals, its there, I assure you.

A lot of that is due to the aesthetic of producer Robert "Mutt" Lange, and a few others following his sound ideal.

Where as, I stink at mixing and producing. I'm nothing more than a singer, dependent on others to bring out my vocal track to what it needs to be.

Then, again, I am recording on low tech. I have nowhere near the gear that you have, Felipe. Or others, like Keith, or Snax. Snax has some serious equipment. And recording and mixing skills. I have mentioned a few times, if he got tired of making lures for muskie, he could make a living as a record producer/engineer.

He mixed my cover of "Rainbow in the Dark." It stands, to this day, as one of my best recordings, thanks to him.

Last edited by ronws (2012-09-09 01:05:53)

"When the daylight is rising up in my eyes ..." - Klaus Meine

#5 2012-09-09 01:28:34

Keith
TMV Forum Member
Website

Optimally, one would want reverb on a separate track. SOOOO, add a send to a channel, make that channel reverb, and bring it back in on another channel. There are many reasons for this, but the reason I like to do it is because you can EQ the reverb coming back differently than you EQ your voice. This is a good tool for running sound in a LIVE setting. IF you are underpowered, and you can't get the EQ you want on the vocal mics, you can add it to the reverb channel, and wa la. Also, fyi, effects that modify your voice (EQ, Comression) should be on the same track as your voice, or "inserted" in the vocal track. The effects that add ambiance (verb, chorus, delay) should be on their won track. Hope this mumbo jumbo helps.

#6 2013-04-24 08:15:14

andrewpeters
TMV Forum Member

Flat recording is always better, slow songs are nice to listen and they makes our mind relax.

OTHER TMV WEB SITES: TMV RECOMMENDS: TMV RECOMMENDS: TMV RECOMMENDS:

Adverts

Board footer