TMV Partners

You are not logged in.

Announcement

GO HERE: www.TheModernVocalistWorld.com

ATTENTION TMV WORLD FORUM MEMBERS! YOU NEED TO GO LOGIN AND/OR REGISTER AT THE NEW AND IMPROVED TMV WORLD FORUM SYSTEM.

CLICK THIS LINK TO GO TO THE NEW FORUM. WHEN YOU ARRIVE AT THE NEW FORUM, LOGIN OR REGISTER AND THEN CLICK ON "GETTING STARTED". ALL OF THE POSTS AND TOPICS HAVE BEEN MIGRATED OVER AND EXISTING MEMBERS WILL BE LINKED BACK TO ALL THEIR POSTS IN THE NEW SYSTEM AFTER YOU LOGIN.

www.TheModernVocalistWorld.com

IF YOU ARE A NEW VISITOR THAT JUST JOINED US, YOU ARE INVITED TO COME OVER TO OUR NEW FORUM SYSTEM. CLICK THIS LINK TO GO THERE AND REGISTER.

www.TheModernVocalistWorld.com

Adverts

• Index
  •  » Microphones
  •  » Mic suitable for heavy screaming and low to mid range singing

#1 2012-06-13 02:49:00

yuutokun
TMV Forum Member
Mic suitable for heavy screaming and low to mid range singing

Hello everyone.
This is my first time posting here, but I have a question regarding mics that I hope someone out there can answer.

I've been a vocalist in a screamo/post hardcoreish band for the past year of so and I've been using SM58s and a behringer equivalent I have the whole time but recently I've been considering getting a new mic, specifically one that will compliment my voice and screaming. 

Most of my vocals sit in the mid to low range as I am a natural baritone (countertenor maybe?) so I need something that will work well with that range.
The problem is I know virtually nothing about the benifits of certain mics over others and when it is worth getting a new one.

One of my friends suggested the Shure Beta but I wanted to see if anyone here has any other recommendations.
I have another question, but its a different topic so I'll post it in another forum.
Thank you.

2012-06-13 02:49:00

AdBot
Advertisements

#2 2012-06-23 17:28:31

TimmyP1955
TMV Forum Member
Re: Mic suitable for heavy screaming and low to mid range singing

Especially if you cup the mic, get an OM7.  The mixperson will have to crank the gain up about 12dB (as compared to most mics), but other than that all should be well.  Make sure there's a compressor on you!  And make sure that it does not affect the monitor send (unless you want that - most don't).

#3 2012-06-23 21:42:26

Robert Lunte
TMV World Forum - Founder
Website

Here is a blog I have on recommended vocal gear, including microphones.  For your use, I would say the RODE M1 (but its very similar to the SM58)... so if you really want to get to something fresh... try the Electro Voice 767a (on a budget) or if you want to get fancy and sing through the best, currently the Sennheiser e935 is the mic.

http://thevocaliststudio.com/microphone … endations/

Hope this helps...

#4 2012-06-23 23:11:50

stew503
TMV Forum Member

Robert,

Request,

Can you do a blog between the E935 and M1 or (poss) M2.  I've seen D5 vids, but I have experience of the E845, but a blog / vid of the 935 wold be great.

Thanks

#5 2012-06-25 00:16:23

yuutokun
TMV Forum Member

Thanks for the advice everyone! After doing some research, I think Im going to go ahead and go with the OM7.  It seems to be professional grade and seems like it will suite my needs.
Timmy, quick question about compression.  Can most PAs add compression or will I need extra equipment to do that?

Thanks again!:)

#6 2012-07-21 08:20:51

TimmyP1955
TMV Forum Member

Other good mics have been mentioned.  IME most screamers and cookie monsters cup the mic (which is not a good thing).  The OM7 suffers less from cupping than anything I've used.

Digital consoles have compression built in, most analog ones don't.  dbx are decent affordable compressors, and are easily found used.  You'll want to wye your vocal into two channels: One without compression for your  monitor mix, one with compression for the house mix and the other guys' monitor mixes.

#7 2012-07-28 14:20:24

ronws
TMV Forum Member

If the pa being used doesn't have compressor in it, there are in-line effects boxes, such as are advertised in the banner ads in this forum. The in-line box is capable of compressor, delay, chorus and pre-amp. All that is left is to do a soundcheck in whatever venue you are in to match the pa. However, remember, that most sound checks are when the place is empty and it will sound different with a few hundred sweaty, drunk people in it.

In fact, it couldn't hurt to get the box that is advertised here. Then, when you go to a club or venue, it doesn't matter what their pa does. Tell the FOH sound guy to leave your channel flat and you control what's going in. The downside of that is that you cannot hear yourself like the FOH guy does. So, 6 one way, half a dozen the other way.

Last edited by ronws (2012-07-28 14:23:04)

"When the daylight is rising up in my eyes ..." - Klaus Meine

#8 2012-08-13 05:27:34

TimmyP1955
TMV Forum Member

I liked the E935 until I was the guy who had to make it sound good.  It had spikes that I just could not get rid of without killing the intelligibility.  767a is good.  I'd like to try the PL80a.

• Index
  •  » Microphones
  •  » Mic suitable for heavy screaming and low to mid range singing
OTHER TMV WEB SITES: TMV RECOMMENDS: TMV RECOMMENDS: TMV RECOMMENDS:

Adverts

Board footer