TMV Partners

You are not logged in.


Announcement

GO HERE: www.TheModernVocalistWorld.com

ATTENTION TMV WORLD FORUM MEMBERS! YOU NEED TO GO LOGIN AND/OR REGISTER AT THE NEW AND IMPROVED TMV WORLD FORUM SYSTEM.



CLICK THIS LINK TO GO TO THE NEW FORUM. WHEN YOU ARRIVE AT THE NEW FORUM, LOGIN OR REGISTER AND THEN CLICK ON "GETTING STARTED". ALL OF THE POSTS AND TOPICS HAVE BEEN MIGRATED OVER AND EXISTING MEMBERS WILL BE LINKED BACK TO ALL THEIR POSTS IN THE NEW SYSTEM AFTER YOU LOGIN.

www.TheModernVocalistWorld.com

IF YOU ARE A NEW VISITOR THAT JUST JOINED US, YOU ARE INVITED TO COME OVER TO OUR NEW FORUM SYSTEM. CLICK THIS LINK TO GO THERE AND REGISTER.

www.TheModernVocalistWorld.com

Adverts

#1 2012-05-06 21:36:25

srs7593
TMV Forum Member
From: Maryland
Registered: 2011-05-27
Posts: 218
Reputation :   

Question for low singing

So when I'm doing classical repertoire or even something else, and I have a low note to sing, particularly in performances, my heart will start racing and adrenaline kicks in. This can sometimes help high singing, but down low it can screw me up really badly. I was wondering if anyone else deals with this? I think it's only a matter of overcoming, changing or regulating my body's natural response to performing. I don't know if there is any exercise to fix this besides performing more. Does anyone have any advice at all?

Offline

 

2012-05-06 21:36:25

AdBot
Advertisements

#2 2012-05-06 21:55:53

Steven Fraser
Charter Member of TMV Voice Council
From: Plano, Texas
Registered: 2008-11-22
Posts: 1801
Reputation :   101 

Re: Question for low singing

srs7593 wrote:

So when I'm doing classical repertoire or even something else, and I have a low note to sing, particularly in performances, my heart will start racing and adrenaline kicks in. This can sometimes help high singing, but down low it can screw me up really badly. I was wondering if anyone else deals with this? I think it's only a matter of overcoming, changing or regulating my body's natural response to performing. I don't know if there is any exercise to fix this besides performing more. Does anyone have any advice at all?

srs7593: Fear due to inexperience, or on some level, these notes make you experience risk or are associated with some sense of foreboding.  The first part you can deal with by spending more time singing lower notes, until you are completely confident in them.   Try that first, recording yourself, and singing these notes for others as often as you can, even in informal situations.


Best Regards,

Steven Fraser

Offline

 

#3 2012-05-10 02:37:46

lordadon
TMV Forum Member
Registered: 2012-05-09
Posts: 12
Reputation :   

Re: Question for low singing

Low notes are very easy for me, and i can increase my range and make lower notes even easier. I remember one week after extensive practice i was able to go off the piano, but anyways, there are some tips i can give to maybe help you.
From what it seems i do, these MIGHT help...
Turn your head to the side (a little bit) , as if you're looking to somebody else, and maybe a little bit down.
That usually helps me take fry and make it much fuller. Its as if it gives your larynx more room to drop...

Another thing you want to do is take your low notes and make them as full as possible, just sustain them and try to find the best resonance you can. If you make it with enough ease, you shouldn't worry about having to hit it.

But these might not help anyways, so good luck.

Offline

 

#4 2012-05-10 03:51:48

ConsumingFire
TMV Forum Member
Registered: 2011-11-30
Posts: 203
Reputation :   

Re: Question for low singing

lordadon wrote:

Low notes are very easy for me, and i can increase my range and make lower notes even easier. I remember one week after extensive practice i was able to go off the piano, but anyways, there are some tips i can give to maybe help you.
From what it seems i do, these MIGHT help...
Turn your head to the side (a little bit) , as if you're looking to somebody else, and maybe a little bit down.
That usually helps me take fry and make it much fuller. Its as if it gives your larynx more room to drop...

Another thing you want to do is take your low notes and make them as full as possible, just sustain them and try to find the best resonance you can. If you make it with enough ease, you shouldn't worry about having to hit it.

But these might not help anyways, so good luck.

I thought the goal was not let your larynx dump like that on low notes.

Offline

 

#5 2012-05-10 16:48:48

lordadon
TMV Forum Member
Registered: 2012-05-09
Posts: 12
Reputation :   

Re: Question for low singing

ConsumingFire wrote:

I thought the goal was not let your larynx dump like that on low notes.

Who knows? I though the goal was to hit those low notes!

Offline

 

#6 2012-05-12 18:43:13

srs7593
TMV Forum Member
From: Maryland
Registered: 2011-05-27
Posts: 218
Reputation :   

Re: Question for low singing

The goal is to be comfortable, and to be honest with yourself as to what is and isn't comfortable. Along with  maximizing resonance and connectivity. But in front of groups of people with expectations, I'm less comfortable.

Last edited by srs7593 (2012-05-12 18:46:18)

Offline

 

#7 2012-05-13 02:01:27

ronws
TMV Forum Member
Registered: 2010-05-23
Posts: 11731
Reputation :   139 

Re: Question for low singing

srs7593 wrote:

The goal is to be comfortable, and to be honest with yourself as to what is and isn't comfortable. Along with  maximizing resonance and connectivity.

That's what I have learned, though it earns me the accusation that I am not doing enough with my voice. Though the big names kind of back me up on it. Per Bruce Dickinson, Ronnie James Dio, Ron Keel, John Bush, et al, do what it is your voice can do and don't do what it cannot do.

We have to learn what that is and accept it. Singing is mental.

Thus sayeth lazy Ron.


"When the daylight is rising up in my eyes ..." - Klaus Meine

Offline

 

#8 2012-05-22 14:23:24

WebAndNet.com
TMV Forum Member
From: Houston
Registered: 2008-11-24
Posts: 402
Reputation :   
Website

Re: Question for low singing

Complex set of body reactions. Performing involves audience interactions, and the body naturally reacts with adrenaline, for you are energizing the audience and they are energizing you. Fear of performance also can cause adrenaline. Fear of failure of performance can cause, of course, heart pounding, etc.

There are numerous approaches to dealing with these.

John Wooden (Athletic Coach of the Century awards) advocates practice, practice, practice, and more practice, at very high intensity. And then still higher intensity. Coupled practice with his Pyramid of Character Development.  If you are highly, highly disciplined, this will likely work.

Bhagavad Gita, ancient Greek literatures, and even John Wooden stress "Know Thyself". This also means accepting oneself. When one knows and then accepts oneself, one is less subject to the opinions of the audience. Of course, not necessarily easy. But, worthy of the effort, because Know Thyself affects all parts of life, and these life experiences also enhance your singing.

Religious teachings of all kinds help build character--which also means being independent of the crowd's opinions.

Meditation, yoga, Alexander Technique, and VocalPosture.com (my ideas) advocate straightening of the spine. When the spine is straight, the body's suppressed emotions are "detensed", and the result is less activation of suppressed emotion to audience opinions.  Your fears are not necessarily at the performance of the note.   The fears are suppressed and triggered by the performing note.  Straightening the spine simultaneously enables one to sing more emotionally expressively while in control, without vocal and body tensions.

Last edited by WebAndNet.com (2012-05-22 14:25:59)


Chen Sun
www.WebAndNet.com, Strategic Web Marketing
www.VocalPosture.com, currently a blog, has unique singing-related content-- posture and voice, vocal structure, ergonomics, Zen and ancient philosophies' relevance to voice.   http://Chen.WebBIZcard.com, a prototype webpage of an invention, is ready for implementation.   This is ideal for any entprepreneur wanting to create a vocalists' or musicians directory.  Thanks

Offline

 

#9 2012-05-22 20:36:22

GypsyDeltaBlues
TMV Forum Member
Registered: 2009-12-05
Posts: 10
Reputation :   

Re: Question for low singing

Do you drink coffee?

I have found that caffeine consumption will seem to give some extra "oomph" to the voice....except for the lower register. The muscles get a bit too tense on caffeine to relax enough...which is necessary to hit those low notes smoothly and beautifully.

Another thing that can help, nutritionally, is eating a banana or two. The potassium and magnesium in the bananas help with the smooth muscle response that is required for singing, and it especially comes into play in the lowest and highest registers.


My Vocal Health Book (available on Lulu.com):

"The Pro Singer's Guide to Vocal Health"
http://www.lulu.com/shop/ran-haber/the- … 52734.html

My MUSIC PAGE (Vocals):
www.internetdj.com/artist/10163

Offline

 
OTHER TMV WEB SITES: TMV RECOMMENDS: TMV RECOMMENDS: TMV RECOMMENDS:

Adverts

Board footer

Powered by FluxBB
Hosted by PunBB-Hosting