TMV Partners

You are not logged in.

Announcement

GO HERE: www.TheModernVocalistWorld.com

ATTENTION TMV WORLD FORUM MEMBERS! YOU NEED TO GO LOGIN AND/OR REGISTER AT THE NEW AND IMPROVED TMV WORLD FORUM SYSTEM.

CLICK THIS LINK TO GO TO THE NEW FORUM. WHEN YOU ARRIVE AT THE NEW FORUM, LOGIN OR REGISTER AND THEN CLICK ON "GETTING STARTED". ALL OF THE POSTS AND TOPICS HAVE BEEN MIGRATED OVER AND EXISTING MEMBERS WILL BE LINKED BACK TO ALL THEIR POSTS IN THE NEW SYSTEM AFTER YOU LOGIN.

www.TheModernVocalistWorld.com

IF YOU ARE A NEW VISITOR THAT JUST JOINED US, YOU ARE INVITED TO COME OVER TO OUR NEW FORUM SYSTEM. CLICK THIS LINK TO GO THERE AND REGISTER.

www.TheModernVocalistWorld.com

Adverts

#1 2012-03-05 00:31:06

lizzymac
TMV Forum Member
Recording equipment...Where to start

Hi everyone,

My sister has an amazing voice and uploads her songs to youtube. The thing is she is quite poor (financially) and unable to do too much in regards to buying any equipment. She plays the music through her laptop and sings. recording vid and sound with her Mobile phone. she really does have a remarkable voice but her equipment is so lacking it's not funny.

I have recently came into a little bit of extra cash and want to suprise her with some equipment to help her get started to get a better sound. :)

I have zero idea of where to start, I don't know any programs (if any) she has on her laptop. I have heard the zoom h2 is good, but not too sure if its that applicable to her. 

Can ppl please help me with wherever a good starting point would be?? Programs, hardware etc.

Thanks for all your help

Lizzy xx

I might consider posting one of her songs here, but as I'm suprising her with this, I don't want to post anything without her consent :-/

2012-03-05 00:31:06

AdBot
Advertisements

#2 2012-03-05 03:44:18

Robert Lunte
TMV World Forum - Founder
Website

Re: Recording equipment...Where to start

I have recently gone through yet another round of home recording learning curve... in the past I have done the pro tools thing with audio interfaces, etc... and I just don't have time to figure it out, but I know a lot of people are using this commercial class stuff... I recently purchased the MACKIE 820i with firewire, that made things a lot easier because I can USB my Mackie 82oi directly into my Apple and use garage band or pro tools... I know some of you are laughing , but remember, I'm only recording vocals to bed tracks... This solution is pretty good, but I still have to learn how to use it to get a good recording... If I am not mistaken... probably still too complicated for your usage...

However, my sponsor, VocoPro www.vocopro.com makes several Karaoke type systems that are pretty good PA Heads for practicing vocals... the kicker is, they feature an SD Card recording system that can capture the signal you sing into the PA Head... with build in DSP effects.  So essentially, what you hear in the room, is what you get in on the SD card. Then you pull off the files and it works pretty decent.  Now its only demo quality, its not a high production recording, but for simply putting in an SD card and pushing record, it sounds pretty damn good!  I was surprised at how decent it sounded for just capturing a quick demo.  its a way to get an ok demo, without knowing what your doing at all... no set up, no learning curve, put in SD card, push record and begin singing.

I'm having a lot of fun with it.

www.vocopro.com

Hope this helps...

#3 2012-03-05 03:59:11

lizzymac
TMV Forum Member

Thank you for your reply :) so basically what you are saying is a Karaoke system might be a good place to start?? Do you then download tracks from the web etc???

Sorry for my lack of knowlege, I'm just trying to make sure I get her something she can use :-)

I should also mention, I live in Austarlia, so hopefully there is something available down here?????

xx

#4 2012-07-29 04:25:00

chamcham
TMV Forum Member

Did you buy her anything?
If I were you, I'd buy her a good webcam.

She already uploads videos to Youtube.
So a good webcam would give her some really nice video and sound quality on her videos.

I would get the latest Logitech webcam.
As of today, that would be the Logitech HD Pro Webcam C920.

Is she interested in learning music?
Maybe you can get her some voice lessons.

#5 2012-07-29 05:14:29

Dr.Evil
TMV Forum Member

I'd recommend to buy an audio interface, because it will be needed anyway ind it allows to plug not only mic, but guitar or a keys through midi interface(if it has one). Sometimes it comes with pretty nice audio recording software, like my m-audio fast track pro was.

Gonna conquer the world ]:-|

#6 2012-07-29 11:13:16

ronws
TMV Forum Member

Sounds like everyone has good advice. If I had the money, I would get the vocopro that Robert was suggesting. I saw his demonstration with it. And that's got to be the neatest thing for what we all are doing.

Getting a vidcam will not solve the mic issues. The mics in vidcams are good for speach at normal volume levels.

You can get decent mics that plug into a usb interface for not a lot of money. I've been using Audacity. It doesn't have real - time effects adjustment but other things about it are quite easy.

But if you don't want to mess with that, use the vocopro, which exports to an sd card that you can then plug into your computer and import into whatever sound editing software and mess it up there, if you wish.

Like Robert said, it is not meant for pro level recording. But it would be spot on the best for our singer demo stuff that we do here and what most people, such as your friend, post in a video. And, for creating a demo to get yourself heard as a singer looking for an audition or even creating a song demo with guitar and voice, you can't beat it, for the price. It will produce a demo quality recording and that is saying a lot. When you want a voice or singer demo, you actually want the vocal track fairly dry.

People in our forum pride themselves on mixing ability in the software. But really, for an industry pro to get a good read on your voice, they need to hear the voice as unaffected as possible.  And, when I have collab'd with someone or have them mix my recording for me, I send the vocal track as a separate file, dry, most times, not even putting it through compressor.

My recording rig was a gift to me, just as you getting this gift to your friend.

The gift I was given was ordered through the Music Store in Germany and shipped to where I live in Texas, USA.

Guitarface II USB interface
Fame CM-1 Studio condenser mic
Mic holder and stand
pop filter that attaches to stand

xlr to phono cable, allowing any mic with xlr jack to be connected to phono plug input on the interface

it also came with software that I could not activate. Customer service was almost non-existant. I got a snotty reply when I emailed asking how to activate the software.

I record into Audacity, which is a free download and you will also need a free download of the LAME mp3 encoder plug-in. You can then export to mp3. Take that and import it into a moviemaker software and sync it with the video.

Or, record video straight to computer using the mic through the usb and then take the audio track, export it to audacity, do your magic with it, put it back in.

"When the daylight is rising up in my eyes ..." - Klaus Meine

#7 2012-07-30 01:57:02

FelipeCarvalho
TMV Forum Member
Website

Shure sm58/57, a simple usb interface and reaper. It should be capable of recording comercial grade material, and its quite cheap.

#8 2013-03-31 11:20:28

ronws
TMV Forum Member

FelipeCarvalho wrote:

Shure sm58/57, a simple usb interface and reaper. It should be capable of recording comercial grade material, and its quite cheap.

One thing I wanted to ask, Felipe. What are you using for video? Such as either your tutorial videos or actual song videos? Is it just a little webcam or an actual minicam that you could set on a tripod?

#9 2013-04-01 19:28:27

FelipeCarvalho
TMV Forum Member
Website

Until the other day it was a cheap webcam or my wife's DSC on those small tripods (cheap and common stuff too).

I am using now a logitech webcam, the model is the HD C920 if I remember correctly, from the price Ive paid over here, I am guessing you can get one for well under $100. It does 720/1080p, has hardware encoding to mp4 and even the mics have a quite decent quality (stereo pair).

To me, and comparing to what I had before, its like a full featured TV studio \o/

I highly recomend it. Specially if you are thinking of buying a handcam just for that, not worth the trouble or the cost.

#10 2013-04-03 02:43:50

ronws
TMV Forum Member

Thanks, Felipe.

I'm still ugly enough to break a camera. But I was thinking, if I could come up with a costume like one from the group, Slipknot, I could be pretty enough to get on camera.

Last edited by ronws (2013-04-03 02:47:10)

OTHER TMV WEB SITES: TMV RECOMMENDS: TMV RECOMMENDS: TMV RECOMMENDS:

Adverts

Board footer