TMV Partners

You are not logged in.

Announcement

GO HERE: www.TheModernVocalistWorld.com

ATTENTION TMV WORLD FORUM MEMBERS! YOU NEED TO GO LOGIN AND/OR REGISTER AT THE NEW AND IMPROVED TMV WORLD FORUM SYSTEM.

CLICK THIS LINK TO GO TO THE NEW FORUM. WHEN YOU ARRIVE AT THE NEW FORUM, LOGIN OR REGISTER AND THEN CLICK ON "GETTING STARTED". ALL OF THE POSTS AND TOPICS HAVE BEEN MIGRATED OVER AND EXISTING MEMBERS WILL BE LINKED BACK TO ALL THEIR POSTS IN THE NEW SYSTEM AFTER YOU LOGIN.

www.TheModernVocalistWorld.com

IF YOU ARE A NEW VISITOR THAT JUST JOINED US, YOU ARE INVITED TO COME OVER TO OUR NEW FORUM SYSTEM. CLICK THIS LINK TO GO THERE AND REGISTER.

www.TheModernVocalistWorld.com

Adverts

#1 2011-11-17 04:10:29

MariFreakinA
TMV Forum Member

Vocal Teacher question, please help.

I currently have two vocal teachers (I know, that's not good). However, one is for college and the other I pay every other week to see. The one at the college has been my teacher longer, but since seeing her I haven't noticed an improvement in my voice. They are both classical teachers, but the one from the college is teaching me contemporary.

Both teachers have given me this advice on breathing:

My one college teacher has not noticed a posture issue when it comes to my singing, she just tells me to stand up straight and expand my rib cage while I stand. She basically tells me to breathe low like into my lower abdominal region and to make sure I am back breathing as well. Other than that, she really doesn't give me any specific exercises. She has learned the Berklee Method and uses that book to teach me exercises.

The other teacher who I pay to see (my first lesson was yesterday) noticed immediately that I had a problem with posture when I sing, she told me that my head juts out forward when I sing and in turn that puts weight on my spine. So she made me stand in front of a mirror and watch my posture while I sang. Breathing wise, this teacher makes me expand my ribcage with my breath and then keep my ribcage expanded and breathe into my lower abdominal region while I breathe into my back and sides. She said my ribcage should be the last thing to come down when I am singing, or in my case hissing lol because I just literally learned how to do it yesterday.

Basically, what I want to know is which vocal teacher's techniques toward breathing is right? Or are they both right? The second way of breathing, with my ribs expanded by the breath makes me feel like I am holding my breath, which I have read that's what it should feel like. It shouldn't just feel like air just exiting the body but should be more about controlling the breath.

Thanks for any reply. If something doesn't make sense just ask.

Last edited by MariFreakinA (2011-11-17 04:12:38)

2011-11-17 04:10:29

AdBot
Advertisements

#2 2011-11-17 04:30:15

goldy54
TMV Forum Member
Re: Vocal Teacher question, please help.

I can wail on guitar and could never sing a lick!! Finally just took the leap into vocal lessons. Much better after the 1st lesson. Many coaches believe that they're approach is the best. I am learning from the best and she teaches "passive breathing" Freak'in incredible and very different. But makes so much sense. check all the links and you will find what I mean. let me know what you think!    http://ezinearticles.com/?Singing-Exerc … id=6681982

#3 2011-11-17 04:37:24

MariFreakinA
TMV Forum Member

I understand the importance of vocal exercises, however, in this article your teacher really doesn't explain breathing.

#4 2011-11-17 04:43:59

goldy54
TMV Forum Member

MariFreakinA wrote:

I understand the importance of vocal exercises, however, in this article your teacher really doesn't explain breathing.

Plenty here, check out the 1st weekly lesson. myvoicecoachonline.com

#5 2011-11-17 05:03:38

MariFreakinA
TMV Forum Member

So now I understand what your teacher is teaching you. I think a lot of teachers teach their students this way of breathing. However, there's a great website called singwise.com, and this vocal teacher basically says that just breathing into your belly (which is basically what passive breathing is), may hyper extend the support muscles, especially if you are taking in too much air. Your teacher honestly may be teaching you passive breathing because you are a beginner and a lot of beginners tend to tense up their abdominal muscles. So a teacher will usually tell a beginner to relax those muscles and breathe into them to get the feeling of what a relaxed abdominal region should feel like.

Last edited by MariFreakinA (2011-11-17 05:07:35)

OTHER TMV WEB SITES: TMV RECOMMENDS: TMV RECOMMENDS: TMV RECOMMENDS:

Adverts

Board footer