TMV Partners

You are not logged in.

Announcement

GO HERE: www.TheModernVocalistWorld.com

ATTENTION TMV WORLD FORUM MEMBERS! YOU NEED TO GO LOGIN AND/OR REGISTER AT THE NEW AND IMPROVED TMV WORLD FORUM SYSTEM.

CLICK THIS LINK TO GO TO THE NEW FORUM. WHEN YOU ARRIVE AT THE NEW FORUM, LOGIN OR REGISTER AND THEN CLICK ON "GETTING STARTED". ALL OF THE POSTS AND TOPICS HAVE BEEN MIGRATED OVER AND EXISTING MEMBERS WILL BE LINKED BACK TO ALL THEIR POSTS IN THE NEW SYSTEM AFTER YOU LOGIN.

www.TheModernVocalistWorld.com

IF YOU ARE A NEW VISITOR THAT JUST JOINED US, YOU ARE INVITED TO COME OVER TO OUR NEW FORUM SYSTEM. CLICK THIS LINK TO GO THERE AND REGISTER.

www.TheModernVocalistWorld.com

Adverts

#1 2011-10-24 20:50:52

neugie92
TMV Forum Member
Whats the best way to get autotune at a live performance?

Now I know its sacreligious but you gotta do what you gotta do. Whats the best way to have pitch correction/auto tune for a live performance?

2011-10-24 20:50:52

AdBot
Advertisements

#2 2011-10-25 09:56:26

nightfly68
TMV Forum Member

Re: Whats the best way to get autotune at a live performance?

It's not scrilegous, a small pitch correction, could help good singer too...

COnsider that you can correct to center a note that is right but not perfectly shifted, if the shifting is too large.. the correction go to the lower or the upper note with results more disastrous.

At the moment you can go to
TC Helicon products with pitch shifting (for correction) AND (it's differnet but they have too) hardtune softune as effect:

Voicelive Rack
Voicelive 2
Voilive Touch
Voicetone Correct XT
Voicetone Create XT

or to
Tascam TA1-VP with internal sw enginereed by Antares (with Autotune, Mic Modeling and Channel Strip options)

Probably other items too but I don't know...

#3 2011-10-29 16:47:16

ronws
TMV Forum Member

Re: Whats the best way to get autotune at a live performance?

Man, what a good answer.

And I agree, one bad note should not ruin the whole thing. However, if it gets regularly used, then the singer never fixes the defect that caused the pitchy note.

I also value the wisdom of Kip Winger. Live, mistakes happen and they float off in the air. So, it must be balance against sounding "processed" versus "organic, real."

Very rarely does anyone actually have perfect pitch. It is unlikely simply because of the assorted structural differences due to genetics. What most people have, in both hearing and singing, is relative pitch, which is usually good enough. If the note is within a 1/10 of where it should be, most people cannot hear the difference.

The other problem I have with autotune is that it trains the ear, pro and amateur, away from what the human voice actually sounds like. I've said this before and I know the frustration one has singing with a cd and not sounding quite right. Well, when you sing along with a cd, you are not singing with the singer. Your are singing with autotune. The mixing engineer autotunes. Then the mastering engineer who burns it to disc autotunes it. So, don't feel bad if you don't sound exactly like the cd. Because the original singer doesn't sound like that, either.

That being said, I could see where autotune might help a live performance. If the singer has a cold and sounding smidge flat through part of his range, the show won't suffer because the note gets fixed.

Last edited by ronws (2011-10-29 16:51:11)

"When the daylight is rising up in my eyes ..." - Klaus Meine

OTHER TMV WEB SITES: TMV RECOMMENDS: TMV RECOMMENDS: TMV RECOMMENDS:

Adverts

Board footer