TMV Partners

You are not logged in.

#1 2010-10-15 05:44:27

darkclaw3000
TMV Forum Member

How do these singers do it? Questions for the experts

i think a lot of us here would like to know some of how the greats have done it, and those who do know something, your valuable insights will help alot to some of us who wants to imitate their favorite vocalists.! (including me! =P)

1) Ronnie James Dio - i'm not sure if he has a style but he's voice is the kind that, even if you NEVER heard the song before (e.g, a friend plays it n u don't know what band n unrecognizable title) , and he starts singing, you instantly recognize it's him. his voice seems to be 'thick' and 'heavy' (at least to me). e.q maybe?

2) Sebastian Bach (Skid Row) - he's the one vocalist that really makes me wanna sing his song but failed. -_-. i know he got a singing background. church choir i think. but if you listen to his songs like Slave to the Grind, Monkey Business, Quicksand Jesus, Wasted Time(absolute fav!! chk it out!!), he have this super support, and 'anger' in his voice. how does he maintain it??

3) Milijenko Matijevic (Steelheart) - no doubt alot have heard his amazing ballad 'She's Gone'. (another better one that i prefer is 'I'll Never Let You Go'.) but is his singing style a damn strong falsetto??? =S vocal doubling??

these 3 are the only one that i will ask about for now.. anyone who wants to add up pls do so! =D

A mix of Dio's magic, Iron Maiden influences and Nightwish's mysteries,
Ammarah - Heavy Metal/Progressive Rock band. Check us out!
http://www.ammarahsg.com
Single up for downloads at www.ammarah-sengsara.viinyl.com
Or visit us on facebook: http://www.facebook.com/AmmarahSG

#2 2010-10-22 04:58:18

Jared
TMV Forum Member

Re: How do these singers do it? Questions for the experts

Never really heard of the other two...but as for Sebastian Bach...the question of maintaining your voice while using 'heat' is actually kind of simple.

Ever notice how babies and kids scream all day and their voices never hurt? It's because there is no tension.
If you can get your voice to sound gritty the way you want it but keep burning out, then check out Melissa Cross for maintaining your voice...she won't teach you how to scream/yell or use heat but she can tell you how to protect/maintain it.

I used to scream day in and day out harder than Sebastian was and it's possible to keep healthy, you just need to be diligent about it.

#3 2010-10-25 01:18:25

ronws
TMV Forum Member

Jared, if you have seen the movie "Rock Star" the Steel Dragon songs are from Steelheart. Mark Wahlberg is lip synching to Milijenko's voice.

"Keep on rockin' in the free world." - Neil Young

#4 2010-10-26 14:01:20

Rychemaiden
TMV Forum Member

ronws...i could have lived my entire life without knowing Mark Wahlberg didnt sing "die young" ;) you shattered my wahlberg bubble !!!!

okay so i will have to do some netting' on the Milijenko Matijevic  thing....what a voice ;)

Last edited by Rychemaiden (2010-10-26 14:02:07)

Ancora Imparo

#5 2010-10-26 14:46:04

ronws
TMV Forum Member

Rychemaiden, it was a surprise that I learned recently, too. For one thing, Mark Wahlberg can actually sing, though he didn't do much melodic singing when his stage name was Marky Mark. Though rapping does require similar technique to singing. So, since the vocals sounded similar to his voice, it was easy to assume that was him singing and I thought I had read something to that effect but that was, evidently, wrong. It should be in the credits of the movie.

#6 2010-10-27 14:18:39

Rychemaiden
TMV Forum Member

Ronws...shoot i do remember knowing Wahlberg did rap too ...;) Thanks for the info :) I like your signature line...some american indian tribes believe that when you die and go to heaven, all the dogs you ever treated well will be holding the ropes to the bridge to heaven in their teeth, the ones you mistreated will chew on the ropes...;)

Ancora Imparo

#7 2010-10-28 12:39:54

ronws
TMV Forum Member

Rychemaiden wrote:

Ronws...shoot i do remember knowing Wahlberg did rap too ...;) Thanks for the info :) I like your signature line...some american indian tribes believe that when you die and go to heaven, all the dogs you ever treated well will be holding the ropes to the bridge to heaven in their teeth, the ones you mistreated will chew on the ropes...;)

Here's the history behind the tag line in my sig. My favorite breed of dog is Siberian Husky. My dog is a mix of Siberian Husky and Black Labrador Retriever. He is mostly Siberian. A breeder had estimated him at close to 80 percent, because of all the standard Lab points that he doesn't have. His physiology is majorly siberian, as is his temperment and metabolism.

Anyway, the Siberian Husky is a modern name for the chukchi dog. The chukchi people are native to far northeastern Siberia, near the Bering Sea. Chukchi means "reindeer people." Anyway, at one point in the late 19th century, Russia was taking over Siberia and they had a problem pronouncing chukchi (shook-she). So, they pronounced it huskya (hoosk-yah). Leonard Seppala, an american trader from Alaska was trading with people in Siberia and brought these dogs back with him. And like a typical american, he had problems with any language outside of american English. He couldn't pronounce chukchi or huskya. So, he said they were huskies from Siberia, hence, Siberian Husky. Anyway, the chukchi tribes believed that if you treat your dogs right, they wait to pull your sled into heaven when you die. It speaks to their attention to animal husbandry.

The chukchi dog was never bred for dog club confirmation. And that is why the breed still looks like a wolf. In fact, in many movies, what is supposed to be a wolf is actually a larger Siberian Husky or an Alaskan Malamute.

I, too, think we are responsible for the care of animals under our care.

OTHER TMV WEB SITES: TMV RECOMMENDS: TMV RECOMMENDS: TMV RECOMMENDS:

Board footer