TMV Partners

You are not logged in.

Announcement

GO HERE: www.TheModernVocalistWorld.com

ATTENTION TMV WORLD FORUM MEMBERS! YOU NEED TO GO LOGIN AND/OR REGISTER AT THE NEW AND IMPROVED TMV WORLD FORUM SYSTEM.

CLICK THIS LINK TO GO TO THE NEW FORUM. WHEN YOU ARRIVE AT THE NEW FORUM, LOGIN OR REGISTER AND THEN CLICK ON "GETTING STARTED". ALL OF THE POSTS AND TOPICS HAVE BEEN MIGRATED OVER AND EXISTING MEMBERS WILL BE LINKED BACK TO ALL THEIR POSTS IN THE NEW SYSTEM AFTER YOU LOGIN.

www.TheModernVocalistWorld.com

IF YOU ARE A NEW VISITOR THAT JUST JOINED US, YOU ARE INVITED TO COME OVER TO OUR NEW FORUM SYSTEM. CLICK THIS LINK TO GO THERE AND REGISTER.

www.TheModernVocalistWorld.com

Adverts

#1 2010-09-22 18:57:08

Nik
TMV Forum Member

Please help with mic problem / Röde NT2-A

Hey all!

I just bought me a new mic, a Röde NT2-A.
I usually use a T-Bone SCT-2000 tube mic but I thought that T-Bone isn't that good quality and looked for something else I could try.
So I saw some nice reviews of the NT2-A and bought it.

Right now I'm disappointed.
I try to find out if the mic I got here is broken or something.

1st thing I noticed is that it's not as "loud" as my SCT. The SCT-2000 has a sensitivy of 14 mV @ 94dB SPL, the NT2-A should have 16 mV.
So AFAIK the NT2-A should be more sensitive and therefore louder, or is that wrong?

Well, I connected both mics to my Edirol M-16DX, panned one channel right, the other left.
I have to increase the volume of the NT2-A to make it equal with the SCT-2000.

The 2nd thing I noticed: The NT2-A sounds less clear compared to the SCT-2000.
Looking at the spectral view of a recorded audio test I see that the SCT is more present in the frequency range above 7 kHz, so I guess this explains why it's sound is clearer.
The NT2-A is more present around 2 kHz.

The 3rd and worst thing: I notice that the NT2-A sounds like it has a gate built in. I can't find anything about that in the manual, at least I notice the background noise (or maybe it's own noise) suddenly de-/increasing in cardioid mode. This is also visible in the spectral view, but it seems to be "flickering" a bit.
Now if I change the mic pattern to fig. 8 or omni the mic generates LOUD noise as if someone blows into the mic. The volume of that noice also increases after some time.

My SCT-2000 creates a sine wave which I can't hear later if a short noise was recorded (see waveform picture). Because of that and because I wanted to see if I can get a better sound while recording are the reasons I bought the NT2-A. But I guess I should send it back and don't get a new replacement, I fear that it might sound as bad. What do you think?
What should I do? Send it back? Any alternative you could suggest? I don't want to spend 500+ EUR on a mic, the NT2-A costs 300 already ...

I made 2 pictures and upload 2 short test files (WAV format, don't laugh at my accent D:) so if anyone here would help me out and suggest me something, this really would be appreciated.
I don't have a vocal booth so you might hear the fans of 2 computers.

I don't really want to try out different mics just to send them back. I also don't have that much money so I guess the SCT-2000 isn't as bad as I thought.
Another reason I bought the NT2-A is: I again was kinda frustrated with my recordings and mixing troubles (how it sounds) and somehow blamed my old mic for this ...

NT2A_noise.wav - the noise it makes when I switch to omni or figure 8 pattern (recorded at max. gain)
NT2A_noise.wav

mictest.wav - a quickly recorded file of me saying some words ... left channel: SCT-2000, right channel: Röde NT2-A (recorded around 50% gain, NT2-A gain adjusted to nearly fit the SCT-2000 level, then increased the volume by 8 dB in audio software)
mictest.wav

spectral:
http://img801.imageshack.us/img801/727/spectral.th.jpg

waveform:
http://img840.imageshack.us/img840/5967/waveform.th.jpg

edit:
I just made a quick test with the song Hallelujah (I think I sang it with too much  power again) ...
songtest_NT2A.mp3
songtest_SCT.mp3

both recorded one after another, same (unchanged) filter settings on both vocals
distance mouth to mic edge: around 9 cm

IMO the SCT recording sounds a bit more present/clearer

I have no idea about filters or mixing/processing vocals, everything's based on my own experiments.
(if anyone could also help me with some hints, I'd also be thankful)

Last edited by Nik (2010-09-23 12:37:07)

2010-09-22 18:57:08

AdBot
Advertisements

#2 2010-09-23 13:52:31

Robert Lunte
TMV World Forum - Founder
Website

Re: Please help with mic problem / Röde NT2-A

Hi Nik... I have some connections at RODE and I have notified them to hopefully jump on here and help you out... thanks for your patience. I have heard that RODE's customer service is really great, so Im sure you will be taken care of soon.

#3 2010-09-23 14:13:40

Nik
TMV Forum Member

Hey Robert!

I can use the shop exchange/return policy within 2 weeks without the need to give a reason (and also the normal warranty) if there's anything wrong with it.

just some more additional info for anyone who reads this: I tried different cables and also switched the ports on the mixer, also used a different audio interface, the noise was there everytime.
I currently do some other tests and switch between the mic patterns, the noise now doesn't happen everytime, but it still occurs now and then ... maybe it's something that can occur if the mic is very new and unused?

About the "sound" of microphones: I have no idea what's good or bad. I can only compare the mics I own, so maybe the SCT-2000 boosts the frequencies above 7 kHz more than it should and I assume this to be "normal",  which makes me think the NT2-A isn't as clear ...
I wished I would know someone who's working as a sound engineer IRL, then it would be very easy to get answers to all the questions I have ^^

#4 2010-09-23 23:35:43

rodeservice
TMV Forum Member

Hi Nik,

This sort of noise is certainly not usual for the NT2-A microphone. This unfortunately sounds like a fault with either the capsule, or in the circuitry supplying voltage to the capsule. You should return the product to the store for a replacement, if this is not possible, please contact your local RØDE distributor using the link here http://www.rodemic.com/distributors.php and they will quickly arrange to repair or swap the product.

On the subject of frequency response, the SCT-2000 does have a slight rise in response above 5k dropping down at 18k whilst the NT2-A is very flat in this region. However, I would reserve judgement until you have a fully working NT2-A as any problem with the capsule will cause output level, noise and frequency response issues.

#5 2010-09-24 03:11:57

geno
TMV Forum Member

Nik - Some mics have a bump up where your SCT-2000 does.  My KSM27 does and so does the legendary U47.  I'm not sure why they do this.  I used to EQ this bump out just to get a flat EQ, but lately I've been leaving it in because you get used to this - it does make it sound clearer.  To be fair to the Rode, during the comparison you should EQ the Rode to simulate this bump just to make your test equal.  Louder always seems better, and louder in the high frequencies will sound better. I've heard great things about the Rode.  Good luck.

#6 2010-09-24 10:48:58

Nik
TMV Forum Member

@rodeservice: thanks for your reply! I'll contact my shop now and will get a replacement. I "played" around a bit with the NT2-A and tested it with some songs and so far I'm not that unhappy anymore, that's why I'll get a replacement instead of just giving it back :)
My problem is, I don't know how to process vocals for mixdown. I usually adjust the filter values until it sound alright for me, then save them for later use as presets. So of course different microphones sound different with these saved presets. But if everything can be adjusted then it's onto me to find out what to change.
By the way: I also got the RØDE metal pop shield, it doesn't affect the sound as much as these nylon shields, which is pretty good :)

@guitartrek: yeah, louder seems better, that's why I guess my voice in my own song tries is too loud. Everytime I listen on a mp3 player instead using my studio headphones I think "why is my voice so loud, it's not the same with my headphones" ... lol ... and yes, same about high frequencies. I'm used to the SCT-sound and therefore though everything else is not as good. mainly because I don't know what "good" exactly is :)
I decided to get a NT2-A because of all the top reviews I read about it. The main reason for this thread was the noise it makes and which seems to be the main problem. I don't blame RØDE for this, things like that can happen out of the blue (I know that, I'm working in the electronic industry ;D)

edit: I usually compare my sound with original songs and always wonder why the vocals in these songs sound so flat or have no bass or are kinda dull. But there has to be a reason for this, else professional producers wouldn't do this ... I just haven't found out the secret yet :)

Last edited by Nik (2010-09-24 11:11:44)

#7 2010-10-07 19:09:32

Nik
TMV Forum Member

alright :)
today I got my mic back, they replaced the PCB (electronic board).
I'm not sure but my 1st impression is that it sounds a little different now, a bit clearer, but like  I said, I'm not sure

the noise is gone and I'll use the NT2-A as my main mic now :)

so thanks again everybody :)

#8 2010-10-11 00:39:00

Snax
TMV Forum Member
Website

I used to own that same microphone a number of years ago and love it! I only sold it when I moved and had no need for all my studio equipment at that time. Boy do I regret that decision! lol

"GIDDYUP!"

#9 2010-10-11 08:33:52

Nik
TMV Forum Member

hehe, I soo understand you :)
if I had to move and wouldn't be able to sing anymore (because of very thin walls etc) it would kill me D:

#10 2010-10-11 09:51:51

ronws
TMV Forum Member

Yeah, forget the thin walls. I'm going to sing,  anyway. What an obnoxious neighbor I would be.

"When the daylight is rising up in my eyes ..." - Klaus Meine

#11 2010-10-11 10:14:58

Nik
TMV Forum Member

lol well ... I remember when I lived in an apartment a few years ago ... I was listening to music, that was just a little louder than normally, or maybe it was due to the fact that the living room was nearly empty ...
people knocked on my door or rang the doorbell in the afternoon ... lol
that's no fun D:

#12 2010-10-11 22:50:39

ronws
TMV Forum Member

Nik wrote:

lol well ... I remember when I lived in an apartment a few years ago ... I was listening to music, that was just a little louder than normally, or maybe it was due to the fact that the living room was nearly empty ...
people knocked on my door or rang the doorbell in the afternoon ... lol
that's no fun D:

Well, either the neighbors would have to get used to me or I'd have to find a rehearsal space to sing. I think, if I have to endure listening to the neighbors make the bed squeak, they can listen to me make my voice squeak.

#13 2010-10-11 23:01:21

Nik
TMV Forum Member

good point, I actually heard a bed squeak back then XD

another good point about the NT2-A is, the room echo/hall while singing is not as strong as if I record with my SCT-2000, I just got a hint to put convoluted foam behind the mic to erase some more of the hall
I tried that before with the SCT but it didn't work ... the foam I used wasn't thick though and very soft, I might try thicker foam, maybe a 7 or 10 cm pyramid foam plate and see about the results ...

#14 2010-10-12 23:42:48

ronws
TMV Forum Member

Well, good luck, Nik, with whatever solution you find. Just keep singing.

#15 2011-03-13 12:51:11

jhon12
TMV Forum Member

I think all the users are very mature, They'll surely solute your problem

#16 2012-12-29 18:00:29

kinito
TMV Forum Member

Yeahh, forget the thin walls. I am going to sing,  anyway. What an obnoxious neighbor I would be.

OTHER TMV WEB SITES: TMV RECOMMENDS: TMV RECOMMENDS: TMV RECOMMENDS:

Adverts

Board footer