TMV Partners

You are not logged in.

Announcement

GO HERE: www.TheModernVocalistWorld.com

ATTENTION TMV WORLD FORUM MEMBERS! YOU NEED TO GO LOGIN AND/OR REGISTER AT THE NEW AND IMPROVED TMV WORLD FORUM SYSTEM.

CLICK THIS LINK TO GO TO THE NEW FORUM. WHEN YOU ARRIVE AT THE NEW FORUM, LOGIN OR REGISTER AND THEN CLICK ON "GETTING STARTED". ALL OF THE POSTS AND TOPICS HAVE BEEN MIGRATED OVER AND EXISTING MEMBERS WILL BE LINKED BACK TO ALL THEIR POSTS IN THE NEW SYSTEM AFTER YOU LOGIN.

www.TheModernVocalistWorld.com

IF YOU ARE A NEW VISITOR THAT JUST JOINED US, YOU ARE INVITED TO COME OVER TO OUR NEW FORUM SYSTEM. CLICK THIS LINK TO GO THERE AND REGISTER.

www.TheModernVocalistWorld.com

Adverts

#1 2009-01-12 23:55:31

DTD
TMV Forum Member
Distortion on Vocals in a live/studio setting

Heya,

I'm trying to get some decent distortion added onto my vocals during practice & live situations.  Currently, all I'm using is a Digitech VX400 and I have a patch that's pretty loaded on gain.  I'm trying to get an effect like Al Jourgenson with a lot of distortion on it but keep running into feedback issues.  Is there some other piece of hardware I could use that would have less issues than the Digitech?

Thanks,

-DTD-

2009-01-12 23:55:31

AdBot
Advertisements

#2 2009-01-15 04:16:06

Robert Lunte
TMV World Forum - Founder
Website

Re: Distortion on Vocals in a live/studio setting

Ill try to get some Digitech guys in here to help out...

#3 2009-01-15 19:14:02

DTD
TMV Forum Member

Actually, I bought a megaphone.  The digitech is great for chorus/reverb type stuff.  I'm hoping the megaphone idea works out well for distortion type stuff.

If you wanted an idea of the vocal sound I'm trying to achieve on stage check out

www.myspace.com/discardtheday

The song is called Fix/Broken

I'm using Acid with the Camel Crusher addin to get that sound.

Thanks,

-Michael-
DTD
Vox/Guitar

#4 2009-01-16 09:09:24

Rev Drucifer
TMV Forum Member

Easy solution- TC Helicon VoiceTone Create.....

You get all your favorite megaphone/distorted/megaphone type vocals plus delays/verbs and a kitchen sink or two....

I was 2 days away from ordering this, until I found out TC Helicon is releasing the VoiceLive 2......

#5 2009-01-19 15:25:48

DTD
TMV Forum Member

How does the Helicon device sound on a stage?  The main issue I'm having with processors is the feedback. 

-Michael-

#6 2009-01-21 04:19:31

Rev Drucifer
TMV Forum Member

It's meant for live use....TC doesn't mess around, man.

As long as you don't go too crazy with the gain, you'll be alright. While there's probably a ton of great presets right out of the box, you'll most likely need to tweak a few to what your situation calls for...

#7 2009-07-14 04:11:11

TNorth
TMV Forum Member

Michael -

Maybe you got your issue taken care of but I'm with Rev.  Any TC Helicon product is going to work and sound great right out of the box.  I have rarely had a feedback issue with my Voicelive.    They're designed only with the singer in mind.  Some of the Digitech gear I've played with seems to need a lot more tweaking to sound good.

Common fast solutions for feedback issues with effect boxes from my experience:

1.  Dial in less effects (reverb/delay)  (less is sometimes more)
2.  Add a touch of compression (2:1 or 3:1) to your post effect mix.

This is of course assuming you just don't have your monitors too darn loud.  If you have to turn them up to the point where they (*auto edit*) need to tell your band to turn down.  You are afterall the most important piece.

--
Travis North

Last edited by TNorth (2009-07-14 04:11:39)

--
Travis North

#8 2009-07-14 18:26:48

Robert Lunte
TMV World Forum - Founder
Website

No doubt... TC-Helicon is supreme folks... the VoiceTone pedals are a wonder for singers and if you have the budget and want the real hot rod... get the new VoiceLive2 that just came out a month ago... that is if you can get one ordered... they cant keep them in stock the last time I spoke my sponsors there... But getting back to the question on distortion... the VoiceTone CREAT pedal and the VoiceLive2 both have "transducer" effects that give you that megaphone sound... which is distortion in the context of signal processing... but is not necessarily distortion in the context of vocal physiology and singing... so to sing with distortion is another discussion... that surely can be found in numerous places on this forum.

#9 2012-12-28 15:50:37

plumba88
TMV Forum Member

Sorry to bump an old thread but I didn't want to make a new one on the same topic either.

I am looking for a distorted sound live also, but not for singing exactly, for shouting I guess? Imagine a more extreme version of the vocal effect used in The Strokes songs (think deftones-esque). I am wondering about the TC helicon X1. I don't really want to pop on the voicelive or some of the larger units as they come with a load of effects I wont really use. I really need a stomp box type affair because I play bass as well.

I know its not a lot of money but it has TERRIBLE reviews in places. Such as:

" its freakin hopeless in a live or loud situation. u just cant get it loud with out feed back its ridiculous. such a waste of money. nobody should buy this pedal. "

"I have purchased one of these and cannot get it work without astronomical amounts of feedback! Can't possibly see how it can be used in a live band situation if i can't get it to work at rehearsals. In order to get a clear signal i have to have my PA on minimum volume with barely no effect. The filter doesn't help and the gain is set as low as possible. I hope no one else is having this problem because there really doesn't seem to be any support or reviews on this product"

I play in a seriously loud post-hardcore band. And there just doesn't seem to be hope. Or anything else out there that works?

once again sorry to bump an old topic that might not even have an answer. But you never know, do you?

I've got a couple of bass guitar pedals, is it worth trying a boss bass overdrive running along side some sort of feed back suppression? I also have an double muff?

Last edited by plumba88 (2012-12-28 15:58:28)

OTHER TMV WEB SITES: TMV RECOMMENDS: TMV RECOMMENDS: TMV RECOMMENDS:

Adverts

Board footer